2001 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews 5

2001 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
I am well pleased with this car
By Tex on 05/25/08 23:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Ford Taurus from the Budget rental fleet with 22,781 miles on it for $12,000 cash. At 123,167 miles I have never had to make a major repair and performed only basic maintenance. It has never let me down so it the by far most economical and dependable transportaion I have ever owned. The body and interior are in good condition and I fully expect to drive my Taurus to at least 200,000 miles. The cabin has more room than any in its class. I am tall with wide shoulders but I still feel comfortable in it. I'll be sorry to see this old girl go when the time comes.

Dependable, but gas guzzler
By Alex on 03/16/08 16:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a very nice family car, very safe too drive, but poor in town gas mileage is the downside to this car.

Reliable cost effective transportation
By TJM on 02/17/08 18:33 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice mid size transportation that can be bought inexpensively after a year or two. Car has been very reliable with the only exception being the suspension springs. They recalled the front springs but not the back. In my opinion the front and back were defective. Other than that a nice car to drive and ride.

120K and Like New
By Championdriver01 on 02/17/08 09:14 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus hit 120K on Valentine's Day. I am now positive it will last to be given to my son in 1 1/2 years. I have only had 3 problems since new- a transaxle seal (88K), a trunk spring (64K), and a radiator hose (65K). I would buy Taurus again.

Fantastic Reliability
By erhandyman on 02/11/08 08:30 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the vehicle new in September 2001 (right after 9/11 and got it for zero interest) and have nothing but praises for this vehicle. It now has over 250,000 miles and I have only done the typical oil changes (every 7,500 miles-95% hwy), air filters, tires & brakes. Tuneups at 100K & 200K. Serp belt & CV boots at 210K (just in case), and lastly coil springs (because my son drove it too fast over some rough train tracks and broke 2 of them). I routinely get 25 - 28 MPG even with all the miles. I would own another if they all were like mine in a heart beat!

A Solid 9
By ChampionDriver01 on 08/22/07 18:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Reliability- in 110K, needed only gas, reg maint, a hose, 2 transaxle seals, and the 'low coolant' light comes on 4 no reason. Build quality is a 9 b/c panels come loose, and cruise button quit. Ext design is perfect. Interior design is str8up. Is A lot of fun 2 drive. Gas mileage is poor, 20 city, 23 highway, and I do 95% highway. EPA is 20/27. Comfort-9 (see below). Performance- 9. For cruddy gas mileage, would love another 100HP, 200 and 24V isn't enough. But I love it, perect family car. Don't care for the Fusion, may go for 2008 Taurus, because I loved the 500, but never got one.

(Bad) Luck of the Draw?
By CTweez on 06/24/07 08:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We had a 1992 Escort wagon that ran great, so we decided to upgrade to a Taurus. Shortly after buying it, we inherited a 1996 Taurus sedan that literally fell apart in our driveway (after $5K in repairs failed to fix it). If only we'd gotten that car before the wagon. Since 2001, we've averaged around $3K/yr in repairs, despite being vigilant about maintenance. I don't have enough space to list every thing that's failed, but it includes the power steering, the key system (2X), the brakes, and even the clasps to the CD changer door. Reading reviews, it sounds like we are among a third of Taurus owners who have poor reliability. The kicker--the Escort is still going strong today.

'01 Taurus
By Jerry S on 04/10/07 10:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Power and handling are about what I'd expect from this V6. My wife started driving it as a company car with about 6K. We bought it from her company at 36K. Goodyear did all maintanance to there. I have done all maintanence since, Mobil 1 oil. Trans service regularly. The EGR went out at 36K and again at 100K. Three sensors are out now with 107K showing. I had to take it to a shop to replace the serp. belt as there is not enough clearance to put my wrenches on it. Then the belt adjuster blew up at about 60K. Back to the shop. To replace plugs is major surgery. Brakes and suspension have lasted as expected. Locks quit at about 100K. My daughter drives it now so all bets are off.

Reliable Thing- Still
By ChampionDriver01 on 04/01/07 14:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus hit 100,000 miles today. It lasted that long. Everything from my last review still applies. I now have another problem to deal with. My low coolant light pops on about once a week. I will turn off the car, and it will not come on (with coolant tank full). My mileage went from 23 to approximately 24.3. The seat quality is still immaculate. I hit a pothole and it put a flat spot in the wheel. My front headlight is still fogged up. I have a good feeling that in 3 years this car will go to my son. Until then or until it dies, my Taurus for me. I will report back at 120-130K. Can't wait until the Five Hundred and Freestyle change to Taurus and Taurus X.

Reli'ble Thing
By ChampionDriver01 on 12/25/06 15:04 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Taurus is SO better than the late 90's Eclipse one. Had a 99 and it was a lemon. This Taurus is great. At roughly 65K, everything started going. First, my car had been running for 10 minutes, and heard a clunking noise. My rear- right wheel was hot. I called the dealer and they said to refuel with a different gas (huh?) but helped. The next week, the air bag sensor was trashed. I thought about trading the Taurus in for a Freestyle but didn't. THEN, a hose in the engine had shredded its seal, and that was OK, but was stranded at the dealer for 5 days because they didn't have the part. Finally, the front headlight is fogged. But this is the best car I have ever owned. Fords only for me forever!