2001 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
A Duratec Taurus is the only one to own.
By David on 04/19/09 17:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '01 SES 24v in September of '02. I have had amazingly trouble-free miles (148k currently!). I upgraded the springs/struts (that was a personal choice), but other than that, nothing major has gone wrong. The key to these cars -- any car, for that matter -- is to perform maintenance on schedule religiously. I have reduced the transmission fluid interval to 20k, as these transmissions are a known weak spot. Around town, I drive this car with the transmission in Drive, not Overdrive, and that seems to have made a big difference in the performance of the transmission. The Duratec motor (24v DOHC) is far superior to the Vulcan (12v SOHC) in both performance and mpg.

Bought Used, Traded-in after 6.5 years
By tt on 03/30/09 00:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Taurus SES used at 10K miles from a KS dealership. CARFAX reported car was a former rental in Hawaii. Had no probs until within last 2 yrs--the heater completely stopped working (bad heater core), the fuel gage shows max all the time, two light bulbs burned out behind the speedometer, cruise ctrl OFF button won't work, and check engine light that will not go out. The heater core is a $700 fix. I also had hail damage. I traded it in at 96k miles for a brand- new car. Got $1700 for it. The buying dealer didn't know about the heater being broke, nor about the hail dmg...I traded it in during an ice storm; the ice covered up the damages :)

19ΒΆ / Mile Life Cycle Cost
By ERHandyMan on 02/05/09 17:03 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fantastic car, currently running strong with 278,000 miles. I gave it to my kids to use at 274,000 and wish I was still driving it. This thing has been rock solid and if I could find another one to do the same I would buy it in a heart beat. Simply the best car I have owned out of 11 cars I have had. I typically get about 180,000 out of them before I either tire of them or the costs start to mount - not with this one!

My Super Taurus
By taurus_1 on 01/09/09 00:04 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it was 4 years old with 100,000 miles on it. After 3 years & 70,000 additional miles on it, its still going strong

Great Dependable Car
By shooter on 12/22/08 16:05 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Taurus in 2001 with 14,000 miles. It is now December 2008 and I still have the car with 112000 and counting. I love the car it gets 26 mpg highway and about 19 in town. One time I had a slight shimmy while shifting so I changed the tranny fluid, fixed it. Replaced the egr valve, turned rotors, changed plugs at 100,000, change oil every 5000 miles (use motorcraft) and it keeps on going. The only problem is that the washer fluid hose is busted, the sway bar support rattles and brakes vibrate. Just had our third child and will likely have to sell it. Sure will miss this one. Can't believe I've had this good luck with a Ford, I used to be a Chevy man. Go buy one they are great.

I like mine
By jrt68 on 10/10/08 03:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had mine for nearly 4 years and haven't put anything into it except a small sensor. It gets me between 25 to 29mpg. I like it and would like to get one of the new Taurus's.

Very nice ride
By dutchess on 06/19/08 09:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned a 96 model and loved it but I put almost 300,000 miles. That many miles on it before it went so I decided to get a an '01. Very nice ride comfort, rides real smooth and great handing. Nice family car or just a nice car for trips. Would buy an '08 in a minute

I am well pleased with this car
By Tex on 05/25/08 23:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Ford Taurus from the Budget rental fleet with 22,781 miles on it for $12,000 cash. At 123,167 miles I have never had to make a major repair and performed only basic maintenance. It has never let me down so it the by far most economical and dependable transportaion I have ever owned. The body and interior are in good condition and I fully expect to drive my Taurus to at least 200,000 miles. The cabin has more room than any in its class. I am tall with wide shoulders but I still feel comfortable in it. I'll be sorry to see this old girl go when the time comes.

Dependable, but gas guzzler
By Alex on 03/16/08 16:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a very nice family car, very safe too drive, but poor in town gas mileage is the downside to this car.

Reliable cost effective transportation
By TJM on 02/17/08 18:33 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice mid size transportation that can be bought inexpensively after a year or two. Car has been very reliable with the only exception being the suspension springs. They recalled the front springs but not the back. In my opinion the front and back were defective. Other than that a nice car to drive and ride.