2001 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Best Used Car I have Owned
By TMINJ on 06/01/09 05:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this 01 SE in Feb 2008 with 103K Miles. Now have 140K Miles on it and it still runs excellent! Gas mileage is around 25 MPG and I am a little heavy with the right foot. I was always a little skeptical of buying a used car, but this one has proved me wrong. It was well serviced from the beginning and the only problem I had was the need to replace the front springs on the car at about 136K. Even with the miles on the car, it still runs great and is not burning any oil. I would highly recommend this vehicle for a daily commuter car. It is not a bundle of power, but it will run 65-70 all day long. I am commutting 100 miles per day and it has not let me down. Very well built car.

Update
By 2bigfoot on 05/03/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Did review at 220,000 miles and had few problems, mainly front brake rotors. No matter what brand they still seem to want to warp.This gives pulsation while braking. At almost 275,000 miles had to replace the serpentine belt and radiator hoses. Still getting 27 mpg. A friend of mine has a 2000 model and has had many more repairs than mine with only 120,000 miles.

A Duratec Taurus is the only one to own.
By David on 04/19/09 17:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '01 SES 24v in September of '02. I have had amazingly trouble-free miles (148k currently!). I upgraded the springs/struts (that was a personal choice), but other than that, nothing major has gone wrong. The key to these cars -- any car, for that matter -- is to perform maintenance on schedule religiously. I have reduced the transmission fluid interval to 20k, as these transmissions are a known weak spot. Around town, I drive this car with the transmission in Drive, not Overdrive, and that seems to have made a big difference in the performance of the transmission. The Duratec motor (24v DOHC) is far superior to the Vulcan (12v SOHC) in both performance and mpg.

Bought Used, Traded-in after 6.5 years
By tt on 03/30/09 00:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Taurus SES used at 10K miles from a KS dealership. CARFAX reported car was a former rental in Hawaii. Had no probs until within last 2 yrs--the heater completely stopped working (bad heater core), the fuel gage shows max all the time, two light bulbs burned out behind the speedometer, cruise ctrl OFF button won't work, and check engine light that will not go out. The heater core is a $700 fix. I also had hail damage. I traded it in at 96k miles for a brand- new car. Got $1700 for it. The buying dealer didn't know about the heater being broke, nor about the hail dmg...I traded it in during an ice storm; the ice covered up the damages :)

19ΒΆ / Mile Life Cycle Cost
By ERHandyMan on 02/05/09 17:03 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fantastic car, currently running strong with 278,000 miles. I gave it to my kids to use at 274,000 and wish I was still driving it. This thing has been rock solid and if I could find another one to do the same I would buy it in a heart beat. Simply the best car I have owned out of 11 cars I have had. I typically get about 180,000 out of them before I either tire of them or the costs start to mount - not with this one!

My Super Taurus
By taurus_1 on 01/09/09 00:04 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it was 4 years old with 100,000 miles on it. After 3 years & 70,000 additional miles on it, its still going strong

Great Dependable Car
By shooter on 12/22/08 16:05 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Taurus in 2001 with 14,000 miles. It is now December 2008 and I still have the car with 112000 and counting. I love the car it gets 26 mpg highway and about 19 in town. One time I had a slight shimmy while shifting so I changed the tranny fluid, fixed it. Replaced the egr valve, turned rotors, changed plugs at 100,000, change oil every 5000 miles (use motorcraft) and it keeps on going. The only problem is that the washer fluid hose is busted, the sway bar support rattles and brakes vibrate. Just had our third child and will likely have to sell it. Sure will miss this one. Can't believe I've had this good luck with a Ford, I used to be a Chevy man. Go buy one they are great.

I like mine
By jrt68 on 10/10/08 03:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had mine for nearly 4 years and haven't put anything into it except a small sensor. It gets me between 25 to 29mpg. I like it and would like to get one of the new Taurus's.

Very nice ride
By dutchess on 06/19/08 09:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned a 96 model and loved it but I put almost 300,000 miles. That many miles on it before it went so I decided to get a an '01. Very nice ride comfort, rides real smooth and great handing. Nice family car or just a nice car for trips. Would buy an '08 in a minute

I am well pleased with this car
By Tex on 05/25/08 23:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Ford Taurus from the Budget rental fleet with 22,781 miles on it for $12,000 cash. At 123,167 miles I have never had to make a major repair and performed only basic maintenance. It has never let me down so it the by far most economical and dependable transportaion I have ever owned. The body and interior are in good condition and I fully expect to drive my Taurus to at least 200,000 miles. The cabin has more room than any in its class. I am tall with wide shoulders but I still feel comfortable in it. I'll be sorry to see this old girl go when the time comes.