Used 2001 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Ford Taurus
By Victor

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission blew at 51, 000 miles and the vehicle has been in the shop for numerous mechanical things. I would not buy another Ford if it were the last car on the market.

Buy something else.

Great if you need a big ol' cruiser
By Julie

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used at 30,000 miles. Like so many of the Tauruses, the front rotors were trashed and the rear brake components were about ready to go and all needed to be replaced. Have your brakes inspected by a competent shop! The car ran great until the dealer did a tune up. After that point the engine knocked terribly, except with premium fuel and they said there was nothing they could do. On the freeway, it was great, about 28mpg. When I moved to the city it got between 12-16mpg which was not acceptable. Other than that, it never broke down and had LOTS of room.

Comfortable for freeway cruising. Lots of cargo room. I liked the center console in it.

Was like lugging a big boat around in the city. Terrible turning radius and cumbersome to drive. Ford, can't you make decent brakes?

What Else Could You Want?
By JFIELDS

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Taurus now for almost 5 years. I bought it new with 3 miles on it. since the day I drove it off the lot I have not had one problem with it, other than the normal brakes and oil changes and tires (also I suggest changing the tires to a better quality...it improves the ride considerably). I do however have a strange rattle noise coming from what I presume to be my windshield (right where the dash meets the windshield) and no one can seem to find out how to fix it or where it is coming from! I love this car and my brother just bought a Ford 500 and I would by another Taurus (which I am due to the 251,000 miles on mine). I would definitely suggest this car to anyone.

I love the 6 cd changer and the moonroof and the keyless entry and of course the power adjustable pedals. Also the traction control has helped me out in many situations, and my Mach audio system is still as good as the day I drove it off the lot. Great engine.

Definitely the gas mileage...it stinks, but with the other qualities of the car, it outweighs that little minor detail. After all gas just costs money and you just have to work for money right?

I love it!
By knukscrim

2001 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the "boring" refined auto I have been waiting for. I love having a car that just performs well and does not demand that I coddle it! The 24 valve engine is smooth but peppy, and the mileage is not bad either.

The 24 valve DOHC engine.

Shocked by a Ford
By Val

2001 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I always swore I would never own a Ford. But, after driving a Blazer gas hog decided to try. Interiors roomy, especially if you have members of your family at least 6ft. tall. Rides smooth, quiet, and full of power.

I love the cupholders, thats a major plus. No fear with passing as this vehicle has some major power. Overall a heavy duty vehicle and I (knock on wood) fortunately have not had any mechanical problems with it. It has made me change my opinons about Ford vehicles, at least the Taurus.

After owning Hondas I can't think of any improvements for the Taurus. Wonderful vehicle. Improved gas mileage would be my only suggestion.

• SUV