Used 2001 Ford Taurus SE Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Taurus Wagon

SE 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )

Nothing but problems
By hconsalvi

2001 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for $5000 and have owned it since 2007. In the time I've owned it I've had to replace the fuel pump, rack and pinion, PCM (main computer) all the censors, gas cap, the ac has gone out, and now the car is randomly dying while driving it. I've been told that the PCM has to be replaced again to fix the issue. This is the most unreliable car I've ever owned!

Favorite Features

space

Very Very Impressed!
By SkiGuy1982

2001 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car because I couldn't afford to drive my Tahoe every day anymore at $4.00 per gallon... and Didn't want to give up the utility of the Tahoe. This wagon had 57k on it when I bought it and has 126k on it now. Runs the interstate well at 85, gets 25 mpg, AC is ice cold, heater could be better. Once I got rid of the continental tires and put on GoodYear Triple Treads, this car handles like a race car and will handle all the snow with ease. Have driven to colorado in winter, and florida for vacation few few times and never had any problems. Everything still works. Will keep till it dies!

Favorite Features

Stock stereo is really good... seats are very comfortable, wagon will hold just about anything. Feels heavy and safe. Stops on a dime. 3.0 Pushrod engine just keeps running.

Suggested Improvements

No low end grunt when starting out, It had a TAPE PLAYER... NO CD? (you have to be kidding!) Better shocks in back to handle heavy cargo.

(Bad) Luck of the Draw?
By CTweez

2001 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We had a 1992 Escort wagon that ran great, so we decided to upgrade to a Taurus. Shortly after buying it, we inherited a 1996 Taurus sedan that literally fell apart in our driveway (after $5K in repairs failed to fix it). If only we'd gotten that car before the wagon. Since 2001, we've averaged around $3K/yr in repairs, despite being vigilant about maintenance. I don't have enough space to list every thing that's failed, but it includes the power steering, the key system (2X), the brakes, and even the clasps to the CD changer door. Reading reviews, it sounds like we are among a third of Taurus owners who have poor reliability. The kicker--the Escort is still going strong today.

Favorite Features

At the time we bought it, the Taurus had a good mix of comfort, gas mileage, and cargo room for the price. If we'd lucked out and gotten one of the good ones, I'd be raving about it.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability! Also, not having the CD changer in the back--it's very inconvenient, especially when you have the rear packed for a long trip and you have to remove stuff to change CDs. The braking is awfully sluggish as well, and it doesn't handle well in snow and ice, despite having ABS.

2001 SES DOHC
By J

2001 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had some recalls to deal with and some problems with the engine making unusual sounds. Not a car I would buy again. Has a lot of cargo area though.

Suggested Improvements

No headrests on the back seat which makes it very uncomfortable to sit there. Also, getting into the back is a pain as tall people very often hit their head because the clearance is low at the doors. CD changer located in the back which is inconvenient when you want to change CDs during a trip

Great if you need a big ol' cruiser
By Julie

2001 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used at 30,000 miles. Like so many of the Tauruses, the front rotors were trashed and the rear brake components were about ready to go and all needed to be replaced. Have your brakes inspected by a competent shop! The car ran great until the dealer did a tune up. After that point the engine knocked terribly, except with premium fuel and they said there was nothing they could do. On the freeway, it was great, about 28mpg. When I moved to the city it got between 12-16mpg which was not acceptable. Other than that, it never broke down and had LOTS of room.

Favorite Features

Comfortable for freeway cruising. Lots of cargo room. I liked the center console in it.

Suggested Improvements

Was like lugging a big boat around in the city. Terrible turning radius and cumbersome to drive. Ford, can't you make decent brakes?