2001 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Good to the End
By sinaskafitch on 11/16/12 07:02 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford Taurus 2 years ago at around 65,000 miles. I heard bad things about Ford's so I was leery to try it, but once I got in the car it was love-at-first-turn. It handled beautifully, safely taking me through 20+ miles in 2 seperablizzards. The car is very roomy, somehow able to seat 6. The only mechanical problems it gave me was a one-time coolant problem and a tiny plastic clip that held up the muffler, but for the miles I put on that thing that's not much work at all. Unfortunately, this January I crashed it. The airbags timed perfectly and my friend and I got out of it okay. I cried though. I loved that car. If I didn't need better mileage I'd get it again.

2001 Taurus
By frank004 on 06/02/11 04:22 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have used and abused this car for app. 5k miles a month. good and safe cars. I noticed people saying the rotors keep warping. I have found that the LIFETIME brake pads are usually to blame!! Try ceramic pads, softer, quieter, NO brake dust and happy pads...frank

poor gas mileage at sea level
By David on 04/03/10 15:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

nice little car - was getting 24-26 mpg at 6000 feet elevation but moved to Dallas and am getting only 19 for similar (no mountains now) type of driving. Am wondering what gives. It passes inspections fine. Power steering might be going out.

Good used vehicle for the money
By Jason on 01/26/10 08:19 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I needed something cheap right away to go to school and work, so I got this car for $1500, 150k miles, I wasnt expecting much, car drives great, I take it on road trips, I put into it 25k miles this year. I had to change the starter (oil filter leaks into it if not installed properly). Other than that just keep servicing the tranny and engine and this car would treat you good.

Love my Taurus
By PAT on 09/12/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I own a "supposed" luxury car as well as my Ford Taurus. There is no comparison between the Ford and my other car. The other vehicle cost twice as much new and is a piece of junk. The Ford has over 100,000 miles on it and I have not had to make any major repairs. It is a reliable car that is worth every penny that I spent for it.

Steady car
By TJMc on 08/05/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

A reliable affordable family sedan with decent reliability. I bought the car with less than 15,000 on it in 2003. When maintenance was needed the parts costs were low compared to other cars. Styling was blah. I took care of this vehicle with Oil, tranny and antifreeze changes and it took care of me. Only extraordinary repairs I had were a broken rear coil spring. Air conditioning compressor had to be rebuilt at 110,000. Unfortunately the vehicle was rear ended at 122,000 in July 2009 resulting in the ins company totaling it. Otherwise my son would still be driving it. Good value and reliability for the buck.

Exceeded Expectations
By kman on 07/21/09 15:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just as the title states, the Taurus really exceeded expectations. We almost got in an accident during the test drive when a huge truck swerved in our lane. It handled beautifully, it is surprisingly nimble for a 'large car'. We also get complements all the time about how nice the car looks! I know! It is a basic white FORD TAURUS! We bought it for safety, affordability, and to get us another 100k miles, but we secretly thought it looked pretty sweet ourselves! We would recommend the Taurus to anyone who wants a reliable, comfortable, affordable (and pretty cool)car.

Best car I've had so far
By paris2325 on 06/25/09 11:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 for taurus se flex fuel, that was a fleet vehicle for the state of Idaho. I bought it at 121,000 miles, and it has a rust pattern under the engine that indicates it has already blown the head gasket. Heard lots of horror stories about Fords, but this car has not had to have 1 bit of mechanic help. It runs great, is currently at 135,000 miles, you'd never be able to tell!! on the down side, Im taking it for an inspection, I suspect some kind of transmission issue. Hopefully its not going out, but It won't surprise me to hear that. my camaro is way more fun to drive, but my taurus great for my 4 year old. love this car.

Best Used Car I have Owned
By TMINJ on 06/01/09 05:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this 01 SE in Feb 2008 with 103K Miles. Now have 140K Miles on it and it still runs excellent! Gas mileage is around 25 MPG and I am a little heavy with the right foot. I was always a little skeptical of buying a used car, but this one has proved me wrong. It was well serviced from the beginning and the only problem I had was the need to replace the front springs on the car at about 136K. Even with the miles on the car, it still runs great and is not burning any oil. I would highly recommend this vehicle for a daily commuter car. It is not a bundle of power, but it will run 65-70 all day long. I am commutting 100 miles per day and it has not let me down. Very well built car.

Update
By 2bigfoot on 05/03/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Did review at 220,000 miles and had few problems, mainly front brake rotors. No matter what brand they still seem to want to warp.This gives pulsation while braking. At almost 275,000 miles had to replace the serpentine belt and radiator hoses. Still getting 27 mpg. A friend of mine has a 2000 model and has had many more repairs than mine with only 120,000 miles.