Used 2001 Ford Taurus SES Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Trash.
By cfscreamer

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 50, have owned many a vehicle in my time on earth, and this "car" has turned out to be the worst I've ever owned. There are very few items on this car that have NOT failed at least once, and I can't describe everything that has failed in 700 characters. It has gotten so bad, that I will not even give it to charity, nor anybody else. I am planning to simply drive it into a lake and video it. Nobody should ever be subjected to all of it's flaws. Do NOT buy this model. I'll never, ever touch another Ford again as long as I live.

Favorite Features

The one or two things that didn't break or fail. The windshield wipers and maybe the ashtray.

Suggested Improvements

For Ford to go out of business for giving the public such trash.

Mixed Review
By honeybadgeriv

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As a whole its a very reliable car. I have come across a few issues such as the coolant tanks poor design cracking under Georgia summer heat, and transmission issues. As you might imagine look at any other car review and everyone claims that particular car is plagued. It has a surprising get up and go that you wouldn't expect from grandmas car but Ford seems to pull that off with most of their sedans. I love this car and honestly will be very sad when its gone. Recommended for first car buyers. Since i fixed the first issues I've had none others... 40k miles ago.

Favorite Features

Its all about the person I love old school JDM cars from the 70's as well as 50's-70's American Muscle, that being said there is something very appealing to me about this car, it's really a good looking car with more conservative style aftermarket wheels its even more impressive for the old lady car factor the car has. Interior is great, my only modification was updating sound.

Suggested Improvements

better MPG for city driving.

Reliable overall
By csflint

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Every car has its quirks... for mine, it's been the front end. I've replaced so many driveaxles, front brake components, etc that it's become an annual chore. That said, my Taurus has taken me through EVERY kind of situation with no complaint. It's been scraped over desert flatrock, towed a U-haul weighing twice as much as itself 1500 miles, crossed country several times, and attacked by wildlife (bears, deer), idiots (Satan, the semi driver) and shopping carts. We're at 168k, and easily looking at another 100-150k - if i don't replace it with something more roomy for long trips. So far, though, i haven't found another vehicle that feels so cozy/sturdy/willing.

Favorite Features

Comfort Reliability Easy to work on

Bland but dependable
By curtis

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought 1 yr old w/5000 miles now at 155k drove in wi 4 yrs az 5 yrs replaced brake rotors at 80k, (use premium or they will warp) ac compressor at 125k, starter at 100k, head gaskets at 130k, radiator at 150k all in all a good car I liked the bland style thieves and cops don't seem to see it.

Favorite Features

good trunk space

Suggested Improvements

better transmission (can't tow even a small cargo trailer without the tranny heating up too much)

Reliable 24V Taurus
By hotrod

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned 3 tauruses and am considering buying a new sho. I fix cars for a living and hate working on my own so I don't buy cars that have troubles. You name the car and I've worked on it. My 2001 Taurus 24v has been more reliable than many of my customers hondas and toyotas or nissans. With 167k on the clock and counting my wife drives 12 miles each way to work every day. We take the car on road trips of 500 miles or more at a time and have never had a failure of any thing and I don't drive the car like grandma either. Our last tuarus was a 90'sho 5 spd that had 270,000 miles on it when we sold it.

Favorite Features

The 24V motor. comfortable seats. large trunk space, 30 mpg hwy, handling .

Suggested Improvements

the new eco boost SHO has everything I want