2001 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Ups and downs mostly downs
By frater249pa on 08/18/11 00:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this with 69,000 miles in 07. shortly after the purchase the oil lines went. Ran good for a while after that until recently at just over 106,000 miles. In a matter of a week the ac compressor went out then the battery died and the ac compressor going bad led to it locking up and popping the belt. Yea the car does have good throttle response but the gas mileage is horrible in the city and ive just run into so many problems with it and im scared to think of whats going to happen next. Also if you have the digital climate control and want to put in a new radio the dash kit is 170$. Also there is a bad seal in the trunk and trunk will always be wet especially around the spare tire.

bland, poor audio, not comfortable
By cbc2012 on 05/30/11 20:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

got this car from a family member, dont like it very much. It gets me from point a to b and thats fine. But the grey on grey is not very apealling to anyone I know and it makes me feel like im 60. All it needs for me to be happy is a new paint job and a different interior color

Terrible car
By ihateford on 08/27/10 00:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car when it had 50,000 and the transmission went out at 63,000 I took it to the Ford dealership and they replaced it. 4000 dollars! Then at 130,000 the transmission went out again I hate this car it is a piece of junk I will never own Ford again the Taurus transmissions are very weak

166,000 and still going with the DOHC mo
By ElmerPudd on 01/11/10 17:27 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Taurus in 2002 w/ 14K miles. Today it has 166K miles and the DOHC keeps giving and giving. I have the special SEL interior w/ digital air/heat controls, 6 CD disc change stock w/ excellent audio sound. Even the to DOHC isn't the fastet pig on the street, it will get up to speed rather quickly and muscle down the best of them when need be.

No Bull About It!
By dirtbroker on 12/31/09 14:29 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 2001 SEL 24valve DOHC w/ 41K...now 108k...not a bad ride...reliable...expect to rack up another 30k...hopefully, I'll make it and then dump it...I hate cars...it gets me from Pt. A to Pt. B...simply it's transportation...I might treat myself to a better car...because I've earned it....Lexus LS 460 or BMW 535 xi or MB E350.

A Swiss Watch From Ford
By Paul Blood on 06/22/09 12:17 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been the most reliable car my wife and I have ever owned. We bought it as a rental return with about 16,000(?) miles on it. It now has 116,000 miles on it and has not required a single repair. This Ford Taurus has required fewer repairs than the Honda Civic and Subaru Loyale that we owned in the past. The pushrod V-6 in the Taurus does not give hot rod performance, but hey you don't buy a Taurus to drag race it. It starts every time you twist the key, has a huge trunk, is comfortable, and gets decent gas mileage.

2001 SELTaurus
By E Gossett on 05/02/06 17:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was very pleased with this car until I had problems with the transmission. With only 31K, A small $4.00 bearing broke apart damaging the entire transmission resulting in $2500.00 in repairs. The transmission shop stated that they had other Taurus's with transmission problems for this particular year. This car has a nice appealing body style, however the curved door at the door handle dents easily when hit from other car doors. I mailed Ford Motor company a letter and asked for a response about my transmission problem, but they never did. Ford Motor company in my view, doesn't care about the value of their customers. I do not trust Ford Motor company, nor will I buy a Ford car again.

I love it!
By knukscrim on 09/02/05 10:50 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the "boring" refined auto I have been waiting for. I love having a car that just performs well and does not demand that I coddle it! The 24 valve engine is smooth but peppy, and the mileage is not bad either.

Shocked by a Ford
By Val on 08/10/05 23:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I always swore I would never own a Ford. But, after driving a Blazer gas hog decided to try. Interiors roomy, especially if you have members of your family at least 6ft. tall. Rides smooth, quiet, and full of power.

Surprised
By SMM on 03/08/05 09:29 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had two Honda's. I was/am very surprised by the ride of this vehicle. It is smooth and very roomy with a decent punch from 40-70 mph. I have had it for only 15,000 miles; bought it used. I feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop re reliability but it has not yet. Had a minor A/C problem and Ford stepped up the plate when I bought it without a warranty. Very pleased thus far. People act surprised when I tell them they should just drive it to see for themselves what Ford has done.