Used 2001 Ford Taurus SEL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Ups and downs mostly downs
By frater249pa

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this with 69,000 miles in 07. shortly after the purchase the oil lines went. Ran good for a while after that until recently at just over 106,000 miles. In a matter of a week the ac compressor went out then the battery died and the ac compressor going bad led to it locking up and popping the belt. Yea the car does have good throttle response but the gas mileage is horrible in the city and ive just run into so many problems with it and im scared to think of whats going to happen next. Also if you have the digital climate control and want to put in a new radio the dash kit is 170$. Also there is a bad seal in the trunk and trunk will always be wet especially around the spare tire.

The throttle response is nice. Especially when gettin onto the interstate. When it works the ac works really well. lots of room in the trunk is nice too. as well as the passengers int the back seat have plenty of leg room

O where to begin on this. The leak in the trunk could have been sealed better so it didnt leak. And ive had alot of mechanical problems with mine so under the hood could be better. I also have the leather seats which have been cooked by the sun and are just nasty lookin now.

bland, poor audio, not comfortable
By cbc2012

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

got this car from a family member, dont like it very much. It gets me from point a to b and thats fine. But the grey on grey is not very apealling to anyone I know and it makes me feel like im 60. All it needs for me to be happy is a new paint job and a different interior color

Terrible car
By ihateford

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car when it had 50,000 and the transmission went out at 63,000 I took it to the Ford dealership and they replaced it. 4000 dollars! Then at 130,000 the transmission went out again I hate this car it is a piece of junk I will never own Ford again the Taurus transmissions are very weak

nothing it is a piece of junk terrible transmission design

transmission

166,000 and still going with the DOHC mo
By ElmerPudd

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Taurus in 2002 w/ 14K miles. Today it has 166K miles and the DOHC keeps giving and giving. I have the special SEL interior w/ digital air/heat controls, 6 CD disc change stock w/ excellent audio sound. Even the to DOHC isn't the fastet pig on the street, it will get up to speed rather quickly and muscle down the best of them when need be.

Leather interior, visibility.

Headlights stink and so do the brakes. I've replaced the brakes and front rotors at least 4 times in the time I've own this animal. You have to pace yourself a bit with this car because brake fade is excessive when stopping and going a lot. Can't believe Ford stuck drums on the back of an SEL.

No Bull About It!
By dirtbroker

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 2001 SEL 24valve DOHC w/ 41K...now 108k...not a bad ride...reliable...expect to rack up another 30k...hopefully, I'll make it and then dump it...I hate cars...it gets me from Pt. A to Pt. B...simply it's transportation...I might treat myself to a better car...because I've earned it....Lexus LS 460 or BMW 535 xi or MB E350.