Used 2001 Ford Taurus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Neverending Problems
By toymatrixsc

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this piece of junk Used in '09 with roughly 150K miles because I needed some wheels in a pinch. Tires and battery need replacing every two years which is normal, I think. I've had to replace the water pump twice, fuel pump, and coolant tank since. The plastic coolant tank crudding out seems to be a common complaint I'm reading. It leaks or burns through oil and I've had it checked a couple times. At this point, I am accepting lugging around quarts of oil in my trunk and did I mention the coolant leak yet (have to carry extra coolant, too)? Computer has been replaced. Every start problem imaginable has occured save the alternator.

Favorite Features

It's been getting me where I need to go without braking down although I've feared it. Agree with reviewer below, though, and can't wait to chunk this thing in a river and say goodbye to Ford forever. This is my second Taurus and I've also owned a T-bird...all seem to have their own issues and if your not a mechanic, they are not fun to own.

Suggested Improvements

This thing is a ticking time bomb and if I kept it any longer I would anticipate more to go wrong with radiator and the next in line for starting problems would be the alternator. My drive axle and wheel balance are off so, I have to drive this shaky thing into the ground until my next purchase. Repairing that stuff would cost more than what this Taurus is worth. I'm using this space simply to extend my review above, not suggest any improvements. This car is a hopeless case.

Good to the End
By sinaskafitch

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford Taurus 2 years ago at around 65,000 miles. I heard bad things about Ford's so I was leery to try it, but once I got in the car it was love-at-first-turn. It handled beautifully, safely taking me through 20+ miles in 2 seperablizzards. The car is very roomy, somehow able to seat 6. The only mechanical problems it gave me was a one-time coolant problem and a tiny plastic clip that held up the muffler, but for the miles I put on that thing that's not much work at all. Unfortunately, this January I crashed it. The airbags timed perfectly and my friend and I got out of it okay. I cried though. I loved that car. If I didn't need better mileage I'd get it again.

Favorite Features

Very roomy. Great handling. I rate it 5 stars for safety. Simply a great car.

Suggested Improvements

Radio didn't work too well. Wish it had better mileage.

2001 Taurus
By frank004

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have used and abused this car for app. 5k miles a month. good and safe cars. I noticed people saying the rotors keep warping. I have found that the LIFETIME brake pads are usually to blame!! Try ceramic pads, softer, quieter, NO brake dust and happy pads...frank

Favorite Features

abs, interior comfort, price.

Suggested Improvements

abs std. on all models, better frt. seats with back support

poor gas mileage at sea level
By David

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

nice little car - was getting 24-26 mpg at 6000 feet elevation but moved to Dallas and am getting only 19 for similar (no mountains now) type of driving. Am wondering what gives. It passes inspections fine. Power steering might be going out.

Favorite Features

cruise control

Suggested Improvements

dashboard hard to read (steering wheel) put gas recep on driver's side

Good used vehicle for the money
By Jason

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I needed something cheap right away to go to school and work, so I got this car for $1500, 150k miles, I wasnt expecting much, car drives great, I take it on road trips, I put into it 25k miles this year. I had to change the starter (oil filter leaks into it if not installed properly). Other than that just keep servicing the tranny and engine and this car would treat you good.

Favorite Features

Confortable seats, HUGE trunk space. Has good heat.

Suggested Improvements

City gas mileage. Overdrive highway is not too bad for a car this size. Engineers should place the oil filter somewhere else rather than on top of STARTER!!. When it leaks it won't start!