Used 2001 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Neverending Problems
By toymatrixsc

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this piece of junk Used in '09 with roughly 150K miles because I needed some wheels in a pinch. Tires and battery need replacing every two years which is normal, I think. I've had to replace the water pump twice, fuel pump, and coolant tank since. The plastic coolant tank crudding out seems to be a common complaint I'm reading. It leaks or burns through oil and I've had it checked a couple times. At this point, I am accepting lugging around quarts of oil in my trunk and did I mention the coolant leak yet (have to carry extra coolant, too)? Computer has been replaced. Every start problem imaginable has occured save the alternator.

Favorite Features

It's been getting me where I need to go without braking down although I've feared it. Agree with reviewer below, though, and can't wait to chunk this thing in a river and say goodbye to Ford forever. This is my second Taurus and I've also owned a T-bird...all seem to have their own issues and if your not a mechanic, they are not fun to own.

Suggested Improvements

This thing is a ticking time bomb and if I kept it any longer I would anticipate more to go wrong with radiator and the next in line for starting problems would be the alternator. My drive axle and wheel balance are off so, I have to drive this shaky thing into the ground until my next purchase. Repairing that stuff would cost more than what this Taurus is worth. I'm using this space simply to extend my review above, not suggest any improvements. This car is a hopeless case.

Trash.
By cfscreamer

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 50, have owned many a vehicle in my time on earth, and this "car" has turned out to be the worst I've ever owned. There are very few items on this car that have NOT failed at least once, and I can't describe everything that has failed in 700 characters. It has gotten so bad, that I will not even give it to charity, nor anybody else. I am planning to simply drive it into a lake and video it. Nobody should ever be subjected to all of it's flaws. Do NOT buy this model. I'll never, ever touch another Ford again as long as I live.

Favorite Features

The one or two things that didn't break or fail. The windshield wipers and maybe the ashtray.

Suggested Improvements

For Ford to go out of business for giving the public such trash.

Sad it had to go
By mczachary

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Taurus in 2009 with 160,000 miles on the odometer. I racked up 60,000 miles by the time 2013 rolled around. The only problems I ever had were maintenance. Tires, O2 sensor, Coil pack and thats it. While I drove it I hit a giant deer with it, didnt affect anything at all. It's the best car I've owned. I had to get rid of it recently because once it reached 220,000 miles the engine began loosing oil pressure from being worn out. Sold it to my brother and it hasn't died yet! I was very satisfied with what I got out of it.

Favorite Features

Reliability is the best feature by far, followed by comfort, fuel economy (25-30) and power.

Good to the End
By sinaskafitch

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford Taurus 2 years ago at around 65,000 miles. I heard bad things about Ford's so I was leery to try it, but once I got in the car it was love-at-first-turn. It handled beautifully, safely taking me through 20+ miles in 2 seperablizzards. The car is very roomy, somehow able to seat 6. The only mechanical problems it gave me was a one-time coolant problem and a tiny plastic clip that held up the muffler, but for the miles I put on that thing that's not much work at all. Unfortunately, this January I crashed it. The airbags timed perfectly and my friend and I got out of it okay. I cried though. I loved that car. If I didn't need better mileage I'd get it again.

Favorite Features

Very roomy. Great handling. I rate it 5 stars for safety. Simply a great car.

Suggested Improvements

Radio didn't work too well. Wish it had better mileage.

Mixed Review
By honeybadgeriv

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As a whole its a very reliable car. I have come across a few issues such as the coolant tanks poor design cracking under Georgia summer heat, and transmission issues. As you might imagine look at any other car review and everyone claims that particular car is plagued. It has a surprising get up and go that you wouldn't expect from grandmas car but Ford seems to pull that off with most of their sedans. I love this car and honestly will be very sad when its gone. Recommended for first car buyers. Since i fixed the first issues I've had none others... 40k miles ago.

Favorite Features

Its all about the person I love old school JDM cars from the 70's as well as 50's-70's American Muscle, that being said there is something very appealing to me about this car, it's really a good looking car with more conservative style aftermarket wheels its even more impressive for the old lady car factor the car has. Interior is great, my only modification was updating sound.

Suggested Improvements

better MPG for city driving.