Used 2001 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

broke and stressed out
By stressedout2

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my 2001 ford Taurus s.e.s. model in 2013 with 132 thousand miles-NOW-169 SCARED TO DRIVE THIS CAR......I have spent 6 thousand on repairs.it started every 3 months it needed another repair. now the car last every 3 weeks and another grand to fix it everyone who has worked on this car said you have to take the hole engine out to get to parts or they have to go through the dash.TRYED TO GET ALIGNMENT they could only do front the back is welded together so you cant get a full alignment.always runs hot. I have never had sooo many problems with a car.I see reviews on ford tauarus and it says reliable haha not the ses model.when you see this car run F.o.r.d. found on road dead.A RUST BUCKET

Favorite Features

SEATS ARE SOFT SO I CAN WAIT FOR A TOW TRUCK

Suggested Improvements

RECALL ALL S.E.S. MODELS AND START FROM SCRATCH....................................................

Might as well just flush all your money down the toilet
By hawkeye25

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

To be fair, I have heard people say that they've gotten nearly 300k with few problems, but that was not my experience. I bought mine with 105,000, thinking it would be good for a few years. Not long after the transmission failed. When I called the transmission shop asking about my Taurus, the mechanic said, "Which one, I have seven here," so I'm guessing this happens often. In the two years I've owned it it's been in the shop at least once a month. I've spent over twice the purchase price in repairs. I would caution you not to buy this car. A Honda or Toyota with twice the mileage is still a better buy.

Favorite Features

Comfortable (which is good cause you'll be sitting in it alot waiting for tow trucks)lots of trunk space, no-brainer layout. The bench seat in the front is great.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a more reliable transmission. Parts are generally low quality and do not last long. Headlights are very dim and difficult to see out of.

Neverending Problems
By toymatrixsc

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this piece of junk Used in '09 with roughly 150K miles because I needed some wheels in a pinch. Tires and battery need replacing every two years which is normal, I think. I've had to replace the water pump twice, fuel pump, and coolant tank since. The plastic coolant tank crudding out seems to be a common complaint I'm reading. It leaks or burns through oil and I've had it checked a couple times. At this point, I am accepting lugging around quarts of oil in my trunk and did I mention the coolant leak yet (have to carry extra coolant, too)? Computer has been replaced. Every start problem imaginable has occured save the alternator.

Favorite Features

It's been getting me where I need to go without braking down although I've feared it. Agree with reviewer below, though, and can't wait to chunk this thing in a river and say goodbye to Ford forever. This is my second Taurus and I've also owned a T-bird...all seem to have their own issues and if your not a mechanic, they are not fun to own.

Suggested Improvements

This thing is a ticking time bomb and if I kept it any longer I would anticipate more to go wrong with radiator and the next in line for starting problems would be the alternator. My drive axle and wheel balance are off so, I have to drive this shaky thing into the ground until my next purchase. Repairing that stuff would cost more than what this Taurus is worth. I'm using this space simply to extend my review above, not suggest any improvements. This car is a hopeless case.

Trash.
By cfscreamer

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 50, have owned many a vehicle in my time on earth, and this "car" has turned out to be the worst I've ever owned. There are very few items on this car that have NOT failed at least once, and I can't describe everything that has failed in 700 characters. It has gotten so bad, that I will not even give it to charity, nor anybody else. I am planning to simply drive it into a lake and video it. Nobody should ever be subjected to all of it's flaws. Do NOT buy this model. I'll never, ever touch another Ford again as long as I live.

Favorite Features

The one or two things that didn't break or fail. The windshield wipers and maybe the ashtray.

Suggested Improvements

For Ford to go out of business for giving the public such trash.

Sad it had to go
By mczachary

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Taurus in 2009 with 160,000 miles on the odometer. I racked up 60,000 miles by the time 2013 rolled around. The only problems I ever had were maintenance. Tires, O2 sensor, Coil pack and thats it. While I drove it I hit a giant deer with it, didnt affect anything at all. It's the best car I've owned. I had to get rid of it recently because once it reached 220,000 miles the engine began loosing oil pressure from being worn out. Sold it to my brother and it hasn't died yet! I was very satisfied with what I got out of it.

Favorite Features

Reliability is the best feature by far, followed by comfort, fuel economy (25-30) and power.