2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Review: Plan on anti-anxiety drugs!

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Review

Plan on anti-anxiety drugs!
By sad and broke on

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought the car new, looking for an alternative to a minivan. It is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. I had several recalls, but most distressing was engine failure at 114K. I replaced the engine and got a 75K guaranty, only to have it fail again at 140K. In addition to the repair costs, I had to rent a car since there was no loaner provided. I replaced the engine, then traded it in on an Impala, and have heard from my mechanic that the engine has failed in the year since I traded in. I can't understand how a car with about 170K can be on its 4th engine. My first Ford, an Escort,was a great car. I mistakenly thought getting the Taurus would be a step up.

Favorite Features

The seating is roomy and very comforable. This is important since you'll often be sitting by the road, stranded. It handles well when running. I liked the bench seat and 3rd seat options.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to invest some time in improving quality and providing relief to customers who are having chronic problems. At some point it would be good PR to say,"How can we make this right for you?" The CD changer placement was ridiculous.