2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Review: Great performance, for a few y

2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Review

SEL Sedan (3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Great performance, for a few years
By MAC on

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

I loved the way this car drove. It was so powerful and agile. When you shut the door, you feel the weight of the metal that protects you. With the traction control, I couldn't make the car slide on snow even when I tried. After about 70k miles (bought w/40k), the car just fell apart. At one point, I was putting $500-800 a month in maintenance into it. The door lock latch busted and wouldn't shut when it was really cold, engine lights would go on, the A/C compressor died, it had some carbon in the manifold that no amount of cleaner would fix. I may buy another Taurus, but I would suggest buying one with 12k miles and trading at 60k. Let someone else keep it on life support.

Great acceleration and handling. Love the sound system. This car is very solid, not like an import. Traction control is amazing in snow. Gas mileage never seemed like an issue. Huge trunk. Very comfortable.

There was a minimal vibration that I could never fix, even after replacing wheels, tires, balancing, most of front end, etc. Something went wrong in every system eventually. Great car when newer, money pit in the long- run. Best case scenario, buy with low miles, trade before 75k.