Don't Waste Your Money!!!
By mike on
2000 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan
Buying my 2000 Ford Taurus SEL was one of the worst financial decisions I have ever made. Sure, the price was resonable for a 2-year-old Taurus in 2004, $9,500. However, I have spent at least $5,000 on repairs since: rear springs, main engine seal, wheel bearings, ball joints, emissions control assembly, break overhauls, heater malfunctions, etc., and it just failed the MA state inspection for emissions -- again! The 2000 Taurus must have been manufactured with the cheapest parts available. Yet, I must admit the the 22-valve, v-6 engine is powerful and well-build, and the front crash tests rated 5 stars. Unfortunately, at 130,000 miles, I should have sold the car years ago and cut my losses.
Favorite Features
The Taurus has a powerful engine, 5- star crash ratings, and a stylist exterior.
Suggested Improvements
The Taurus model should have been discontinued years ago(in 2000), and Ford should suffer the consequences of selling us cars of such poor quality.
By prazb2jc
on 03/09/11 15:02 PM (PST)

FORD TAURUS SE - The Vehicle that Keeps On Giving - you trouble as long as you own it! Your list of repairs mimics mine with the addition of my personal story. My son took this vehicle to college out of state. He was driving approx. 30 mph on a city side street. What sounded like a small "explosion" rendered this car inoperable. Damaged were the right front tire which had been sliced by the front coil/spring. Had he been on a freeway driving 65 mph, his death and possibly others would have been unavoidable. The 2000 Ford Taurus had been recalled (recall #4S17) in 2004 for known front coil spring corrosion, fracture, and failure. Repair parts were unavailable in my area until 2005. Ford stated failure and corrosion could cause the coil spring to break loose and rupture "which could increase the risk of a crash without warning" (per FMC letter sent August 2004). Ford stated they would install protective shields around the front coil springs. This was completed in 09.25.07 at a Ford Dealership. Obviously, this "protective shield" was "faulty" as even with these installed, my son experienced the above incident. My reason for writing is simply to warn owners or potential buyers of the severe danger involved with driving this Ford Taurus SE and to thank God for protecting my son!