Used 2000 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

2000 Taurus SE Review
By Dave55

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 2 years and overall it is a good car. A bit sporty & stylish and comfortable on the long drives and quite reliable. I agree with the comments about under powered and this is an easy problem to fix but Ford has once again ignored its customers. My biggest problem, and this will probably cause me to buy another brand of car, is a leaking oil pan. It was fixed 10 months ago and it is leaking once again and the local dealer refuses to do anything to help me other than charge me for another oil pan gasket. Other than that I haven't had a lot of problems with the car and I will probably keep it a few more years before looking at a Chevrolet Impala.

Stylish.

Ford really needs to pay more attention to its customers.

Better than a Honda or a Toyota!
By Andy

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

Okay, if you are looking for a great affordable car this is the one. My wife and I traded in her Element (after numerous problems) for the Taurus and I cannot pry her hands away from the keys. We go everywhere with the Taurus and have never had one issue with it. Right now we have 59K on it and it runs like it rolled off the showroom floor. To compare my in-laws have a 2000 Honda Accord with the same mileage that has had to have the water pump replaced twice and was leaking oil at the seals. And who would want a Camry with the sludge and seizing engine problems that were an issue for 1996-2002?!?! If you are looking for a safe and reliable vehicle look no further!

Powerful 24V V6, side air bags, handling is firm but not punishing for a sedan. I average 28 mpg with Taurus, wonderful reliability!

I must admit I miss the SHO :)

Underrated Car for the masses
By Ian

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

My Duratec 24V engine Taurus has been utterly reliable. I've covered 39,000 miles since 11/02. I service it myself and use synthetic oil and high quality filters, which I change every 10K miles. I got a repair shop to change the serpentine belt, changed brake fluid and auto-fluid too. This helps maintain the car's life and reliability I feel. Regarding performance, only use the overdrive 4th gear on freeways, stick to the 3 speed around town, gas mileage will improve as the box is not hunting up and down all the time. Great road holding and comfort. Seats are hard, but good for my back and there is oceans of space inside. Controls are easy to use. Brakes are appalling, as is wind noise.

Comfort, handling, road holding, performance, gas mileage due to sensible gearing, steering has good feel, although a little undergeared. Controls easy to use, ABS and traction works well. Good crash protection, although side airbags should be standard.

Disc brakes all around. Double pots on the front brakes to avoid the 'magic- inch' when nothing happens when you brake initially. Better door sealing. ABS/Traction/Side bags should be standard. Worst problem is Fords H.Q. customer service. I complained about service locally, their response was a joke.

5 years, Paid off, and Going Strong
By AvgMike

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan

I cannot complain about my Taurus. I have owned it since she was born and the car still refuses to disappoint. There have been the minor recalls and I have followed the recommended maintenance program. But that is expected and necessary if you want long life out of any car. The power is enough for my driving style, and the car still looks great!

Safety features, 6 Disk CD, COLD A/C, decent power.

None.

American Car
By A.C.

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan

Bought my Taurus in May 2000. Now it has 87,000 miles on it. The problems: Brake sensor failed (recall); power steering pump made wining noise - replaced under warranty; right front window scratched pretty bad - replaced under warranty; driver's door is not tight, hense wind noise; funny noise in suspension - repaired under warranty, dealer never said what was wrong; power steering fluid leaked from under the filling cap; fuel gauge gives wrong reading; the warning light for the ABS doesn't work; right rear power window motor blew twice - replaced under warranty; the steering wheel air bag's cover is painted(!), had cracks in it after only 5 months, the paint rubs off easily. Fuel economy - none.

The Duratec engine. That's it!

Quality! Cannot stress it enough! Transmission is vague, supposed to be adaptive, but in 5 years still doesn't know what the heck do I want from it. There is no gear selection indicator on the dashboard for this model. Why? The seats could be better.