Used 2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

great performing sedan
By walt

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Leased then bought this 2000 Taurus. 24 valve DOC engine. Flat out flies. Drive 50 miles round trip to work. Have loved this car--now has over 110K on it and performs like new. No tune up until 98K. Power seat, power mirrors are great. Not kidding--even with all those miles--runs like new. Have replaced struts and front springs, but that was after 100K.

Favorite Features

Got the better stereo from factory - worth it. Great acceleration from 24V engine. High crash rating--got optional side air bags--never needed, but makes you feel safer. I take immaculate care of this car inside and out. After washing and polishing the car looks brand new.

Suggested Improvements

Why in the world did Ford quit making such a nice car?

Good bang for the buck
By mostlytoyo

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this wagon for an airport car. It was very cheap and in good condition. Drives nicely and is a much quicker car than my '97 Sable due to the DOHC engine. Good visibility and only minor repairs so far. Great highway mileage.

Favorite Features

Engine, storage.

Suggested Improvements

Start building it again.

A nice surprise!
By mike32779

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

This was originally my company car. I picked it up new in 7/00, drove it for 3+ years, and bought it from GE Fleet Leasing at 60,000 miles when it was due to be turned in. I got a new company car (2003 Impala) and gave the Taurus to my son. He's still driving it, and there have been no major breakdowns or failures. I am really very impressed with the vehicle. A winner!

Favorite Features

Stable, surefooted ride. Sticks to the road like a magnet.

Suggested Improvements

Ford, I'm looking forward to seeing your next generation Taurus.

Great vehicle for the money!
By Logan

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

We bought our 2000 Ford Taurus SEL in 2005. It had 86,000 miles on it and was fully loaded; we paid only $5,700 from a private seller. It was in good condition and still is. Since we've only owned the car for 2 years, I cannot tell you the reliability for its lifetime, but since we've owned it, we've only had a couple of problems with it. A couple of weeks after we bought it, some sort of a spring or something broke. Not a big deal; it wasn't a lot of money to have fixed. One speaker sometimes doesn't work on the Mach audio system, which we are going to try and have fixed. Overall this car is a great value for the money.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Mach audio system, leather seats, rear spoiler, power seats/pedals, keypad entry, power everything!

Suggested Improvements

where's the heated seats? HomeLink transmitter. What's up with all the cheap looking plastic inside? Trunk hinges intrude into cargo space.

do not buy!
By justagirl19762001

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

This car so unreliable. Have sunk about $4,000 in 3 years. JUNK! Spoken by a HONDA lover. Worst gas mileage with FFV option. Frequent repairs! Engine light on for past year no one knows why. Fuel gauge broke, electrical glitches, cooling system gone in 2003. Heating system gone in 2006. Not sure why ratings are in at 7.5. No retail value for these cars.

Favorite Features

Added 3rd row seat, nice addition. Sleek looking as far as wagons go. Comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I think that this car has had several recalls that I have gotten from Ford. Improve gas mileage, reliability, and under the hood!