Used 2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Awesome car!
By rudedog36

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car when it was a year old back in 2001, and I have to say it;'s been one of the best cars I've ever owned. I've only had two problems with the car. One was a starter, and the other a coil pack, both of wich i fixed myself. I plan on keeping this car until it dies.

Dependablity - safety, this car just feels safe - quality, the paint is in great condition for the environment its in (Wisconsin winters!) no rust.

The flex fuel on the car. I believe that this is one of the first years that they put the flex fuel in the Fords. I do have some problems with the engine shaking when using ethenol, and the fuel mileage goes down, so I just don't use it.

Great family car
By owner

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I've owned this car for almost 3 years and other than oil changes, a precautionary tune-up I gave it after I bought it and a tune up just recently, The only money I put into it (as far as repairs) were for a few faulty sensors none more that $100.00 that I easaly replaced myself. It's roomy, has a powerful DOHC. Great travel car if you have kids and they can bring their friends. My kids loved the rear facing third seat.

24v DOHC, third seat, roof rack, can range from family car to pick-up with the second and third seats folded down. Although it's not recommended I can leave some serious rubber on the road.

None

Perfect car for Anybody II
By Jcd II

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I posted a review 8/29/2006 on this car when I was 16. I am now 18 and have recently wrecked my precious Taurus. I was turning down my street comming home from school and spilled my soda, I over compensated and hit a brick culvert in a diitch, at a pretty good speed. I was shocked when I wedged the door open. I couldn't believe I came out without a scratch. The car is so safe. My grandfather came to me with a tractor and rope, we didn't need it. I turned the key and it started like a new one, I drove it home, still drove straight and true. I fixed it myself. You can't even tell. This car is so safe. When it's washed, it's the best lookin' car on the block!

Love the safety and reliability of this car. It will keep you and your family safe. Thank you Ford for making this block of steel on wheels, it saved my life.

None, this is a well built car, with the reliability of a "tried and true" American company. This review came from a "True" American. Foreign cars feel to me like appliances. Sorry Honda lovers, just can't beat a good American product. Thanks again Ford for staying American, and for this great car.

Nightmare!
By WSUgrad

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I knew buying used from a private party could be risky, but it was a one-owner car with highway miles. Since owning, I have replaced 3 sensors (research the EGR pressure sensor issues on these cars- Ford only part & expensive!), the transmission failed at 104,000 miles, the torque converter failed shortly after, radiator sprang a leak, water pump died, the brakes eat through the pads and the rotors warp easily (Ford or after-market), oh and it is pretty thirsty for a six cylinder (one with a measly 150 horsepower, at that!) Overall the worst carI have owned of 4 over my years and the last of the "Big Three" I will buy, new or used! I should have bought a Honda or Toyota!

Ride quality, quiet interior

Transmission, torque converter, EGR pressure relief sensor. General reliability is terrible.

Great performance, for a few years
By MAC

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

I loved the way this car drove. It was so powerful and agile. When you shut the door, you feel the weight of the metal that protects you. With the traction control, I couldn't make the car slide on snow even when I tried. After about 70k miles (bought w/40k), the car just fell apart. At one point, I was putting $500-800 a month in maintenance into it. The door lock latch busted and wouldn't shut when it was really cold, engine lights would go on, the A/C compressor died, it had some carbon in the manifold that no amount of cleaner would fix. I may buy another Taurus, but I would suggest buying one with 12k miles and trading at 60k. Let someone else keep it on life support.

Great acceleration and handling. Love the sound system. This car is very solid, not like an import. Traction control is amazing in snow. Gas mileage never seemed like an issue. Huge trunk. Very comfortable.

There was a minimal vibration that I could never fix, even after replacing wheels, tires, balancing, most of front end, etc. Something went wrong in every system eventually. Great car when newer, money pit in the long- run. Best case scenario, buy with low miles, trade before 75k.