Used 2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Nightmare!
By WSUgrad

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I knew buying used from a private party could be risky, but it was a one-owner car with highway miles. Since owning, I have replaced 3 sensors (research the EGR pressure sensor issues on these cars- Ford only part & expensive!), the transmission failed at 104,000 miles, the torque converter failed shortly after, radiator sprang a leak, water pump died, the brakes eat through the pads and the rotors warp easily (Ford or after-market), oh and it is pretty thirsty for a six cylinder (one with a measly 150 horsepower, at that!) Overall the worst carI have owned of 4 over my years and the last of the "Big Three" I will buy, new or used! I should have bought a Honda or Toyota!

Ride quality, quiet interior

Transmission, torque converter, EGR pressure relief sensor. General reliability is terrible.

Great performance, for a few years
By MAC

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

I loved the way this car drove. It was so powerful and agile. When you shut the door, you feel the weight of the metal that protects you. With the traction control, I couldn't make the car slide on snow even when I tried. After about 70k miles (bought w/40k), the car just fell apart. At one point, I was putting $500-800 a month in maintenance into it. The door lock latch busted and wouldn't shut when it was really cold, engine lights would go on, the A/C compressor died, it had some carbon in the manifold that no amount of cleaner would fix. I may buy another Taurus, but I would suggest buying one with 12k miles and trading at 60k. Let someone else keep it on life support.

Great acceleration and handling. Love the sound system. This car is very solid, not like an import. Traction control is amazing in snow. Gas mileage never seemed like an issue. Huge trunk. Very comfortable.

There was a minimal vibration that I could never fix, even after replacing wheels, tires, balancing, most of front end, etc. Something went wrong in every system eventually. Great car when newer, money pit in the long- run. Best case scenario, buy with low miles, trade before 75k.

Great Car!
By LOVE THIS CAR!!!

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought my first 2000 Taurus in '05 and feel in love with this car! Drove it for year and a half with no mechanical problems at all, my first one got totaled this winter, and I bought another 2000 Taurus because I loved my first one so much, you can't get a better car for the money! It's got tons of room for hauling my dogs and my kids around, and I love the third seat!

Power seats, locks, and windows, third seat in back, and handles very nicely even on slick roads.

Start making them again! Ford finally makes a decent car and they they discontinue it!

Fantastic Car
By rmw313

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for about 1 1/2 years. It now has 90,000 miles and I never had any problems with it. I love this car. It's so much fun to drive. The only drawback is the fuel economy. I usually get about 22 mpg. But other than that this is an amazing car!

The power of the 24v DOHC engine!

Better fuel economy.

Loved it!
By Maverick

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought mine with 36K for $6000. I had minor niggles with the car. 1 month after I bought the car, realized that oil gasket had a leak but the problem was not serious. Occasionally the car smoked but the problem never got out of hand. I got tires changed at 40K and brakes changed at about 60K. Steering squeaks (heard many such complaints about the model). I had the "check engine" light at about 70K - problem with DPFEP valve but the light went away before I could get it repaired. Overall I did not have serious issues with the car. The car was fun to ride. No matter how long I drove I never felt tired. Wrecked it at 80K - now I am unable to resist buying another Taurus.

Elegant looks and comfort.

Well, they stopped making it now but from reading many reviews and experiencing, fuel gauge, brakes and steering need to be improved