2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
2000 Taurus SE Review
By Dave55 on 11/19/05 18:03 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 2 years and overall it is a good car. A bit sporty & stylish and comfortable on the long drives and quite reliable. I agree with the comments about under powered and this is an easy problem to fix but Ford has once again ignored its customers. My biggest problem, and this will probably cause me to buy another brand of car, is a leaking oil pan. It was fixed 10 months ago and it is leaking once again and the local dealer refuses to do anything to help me other than charge me for another oil pan gasket. Other than that I haven't had a lot of problems with the car and I will probably keep it a few more years before looking at a Chevrolet Impala.

Better than a Honda or a Toyota!
By Andy on 10/12/05 17:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Okay, if you are looking for a great affordable car this is the one. My wife and I traded in her Element (after numerous problems) for the Taurus and I cannot pry her hands away from the keys. We go everywhere with the Taurus and have never had one issue with it. Right now we have 59K on it and it runs like it rolled off the showroom floor. To compare my in-laws have a 2000 Honda Accord with the same mileage that has had to have the water pump replaced twice and was leaking oil at the seals. And who would want a Camry with the sludge and seizing engine problems that were an issue for 1996-2002?!?! If you are looking for a safe and reliable vehicle look no further!

Underrated Car for the masses
By Ian on 08/31/05 15:08 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

My Duratec 24V engine Taurus has been utterly reliable. I've covered 39,000 miles since 11/02. I service it myself and use synthetic oil and high quality filters, which I change every 10K miles. I got a repair shop to change the serpentine belt, changed brake fluid and auto-fluid too. This helps maintain the car's life and reliability I feel. Regarding performance, only use the overdrive 4th gear on freeways, stick to the 3 speed around town, gas mileage will improve as the box is not hunting up and down all the time. Great road holding and comfort. Seats are hard, but good for my back and there is oceans of space inside. Controls are easy to use. Brakes are appalling, as is wind noise.

5 years, Paid off, and Going Strong
By AvgMike on 07/12/05 10:56 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

I cannot complain about my Taurus. I have owned it since she was born and the car still refuses to disappoint. There have been the minor recalls and I have followed the recommended maintenance program. But that is expected and necessary if you want long life out of any car. The power is enough for my driving style, and the car still looks great!

Ford - You lost us!
By Lee on 05/09/05 16:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Our last 4 cars have all been Fords, before trading this one in for a Toyota Sienna van. Our first was a '91 wagon, which was awesome for its economy, and reliability (it finally gave out with 210k miles). The Windstar van was a mistake, and the last 2 Tauruses were only slightly better. We unloaded this wagon with 98k miles for fear of transmission problems. There also was little effort by the company to address our complaints (which included both calls and a letter). We would have loved to stay with a domestic maker, but it just didn't make sense. Ford - we were your customers, and you lost us!

American Car
By A.C. on 05/05/05 00:34 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

Bought my Taurus in May 2000. Now it has 87,000 miles on it. The problems: Brake sensor failed (recall); power steering pump made wining noise - replaced under warranty; right front window scratched pretty bad - replaced under warranty; driver's door is not tight, hense wind noise; funny noise in suspension - repaired under warranty, dealer never said what was wrong; power steering fluid leaked from under the filling cap; fuel gauge gives wrong reading; the warning light for the ABS doesn't work; right rear power window motor blew twice - replaced under warranty; the steering wheel air bag's cover is painted(!), had cracks in it after only 5 months, the paint rubs off easily. Fuel economy - none.

Good Value So Far
By J.K. BURGE on 04/27/05 03:33 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Taurus LX new. So far I am very pleased with it. I currently have 44,000 miles on it. I also have a 2001 Toyota Corolla, which is a good car on the city streets, but on the highway the Taurus is far superior.

Average at best
By lary jameson on 04/22/05 15:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Average American car. Needs repair every 5-6 months. Starter, wiper motor, computer chip, brake vibration etc. Last 3 cars (Toyota & Subarus) went to 150K miles without this type of repair. Dealers can't seem to fix problems the first time but have got it right without extra charge. Cheaper than comparable Japanese make with same features but you make it up with repairs.

Excellent 2000 Taurus SES
By Ronald Winn on 04/10/05 23:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

I have had no problems with this car until April, 2005. Then I had an erratic undocumented airbag light error light. The motor, 24 valve DOHC is very fast, but does not get good gas mileage.

Ok vehicle, but get a cheap mechanic!
By dirtyone on 03/28/05 11:15 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

The SE/SVG looks good, inside & out, but underneath there are some pretty expensive repairs waiting to creep up on you: just after buying this car, had to bring it back in (with dealer plates still attached!) because condensation from the heater/a/c unit leaked water all over the front passenger side floor. Dealer tried to charge $800+ to fix & then I had to bring it right back in to get them to fix it completely; chirping noise from front wheels was never correctly diagnosed - front rotors were shot, had to get private garage to fix, probably saved me $250+ than having incompetent Ford dealer try to fix it; steering wheel shakes around 60 mph & when braking from 60+ down to ~30; little things kill this car.