Used 2000 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Perfect car for Anybody II
By Jcd II

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I posted a review 8/29/2006 on this car when I was 16. I am now 18 and have recently wrecked my precious Taurus. I was turning down my street comming home from school and spilled my soda, I over compensated and hit a brick culvert in a diitch, at a pretty good speed. I was shocked when I wedged the door open. I couldn't believe I came out without a scratch. The car is so safe. My grandfather came to me with a tractor and rope, we didn't need it. I turned the key and it started like a new one, I drove it home, still drove straight and true. I fixed it myself. You can't even tell. This car is so safe. When it's washed, it's the best lookin' car on the block!

Favorite Features

Love the safety and reliability of this car. It will keep you and your family safe. Thank you Ford for making this block of steel on wheels, it saved my life.

Suggested Improvements

None, this is a well built car, with the reliability of a "tried and true" American company. This review came from a "True" American. Foreign cars feel to me like appliances. Sorry Honda lovers, just can't beat a good American product. Thanks again Ford for staying American, and for this great car.

Great performance, for a few years
By MAC

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan

I loved the way this car drove. It was so powerful and agile. When you shut the door, you feel the weight of the metal that protects you. With the traction control, I couldn't make the car slide on snow even when I tried. After about 70k miles (bought w/40k), the car just fell apart. At one point, I was putting $500-800 a month in maintenance into it. The door lock latch busted and wouldn't shut when it was really cold, engine lights would go on, the A/C compressor died, it had some carbon in the manifold that no amount of cleaner would fix. I may buy another Taurus, but I would suggest buying one with 12k miles and trading at 60k. Let someone else keep it on life support.

Favorite Features

Great acceleration and handling. Love the sound system. This car is very solid, not like an import. Traction control is amazing in snow. Gas mileage never seemed like an issue. Huge trunk. Very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

There was a minimal vibration that I could never fix, even after replacing wheels, tires, balancing, most of front end, etc. Something went wrong in every system eventually. Great car when newer, money pit in the long- run. Best case scenario, buy with low miles, trade before 75k.

Fantastic Car
By rmw313

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for about 1 1/2 years. It now has 90,000 miles and I never had any problems with it. I love this car. It's so much fun to drive. The only drawback is the fuel economy. I usually get about 22 mpg. But other than that this is an amazing car!

Favorite Features

The power of the 24v DOHC engine!

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy.

Loved it!
By Maverick

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought mine with 36K for $6000. I had minor niggles with the car. 1 month after I bought the car, realized that oil gasket had a leak but the problem was not serious. Occasionally the car smoked but the problem never got out of hand. I got tires changed at 40K and brakes changed at about 60K. Steering squeaks (heard many such complaints about the model). I had the "check engine" light at about 70K - problem with DPFEP valve but the light went away before I could get it repaired. Overall I did not have serious issues with the car. The car was fun to ride. No matter how long I drove I never felt tired. Wrecked it at 80K - now I am unable to resist buying another Taurus.

Favorite Features

Elegant looks and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Well, they stopped making it now but from reading many reviews and experiencing, fuel gauge, brakes and steering need to be improved

great performing sedan
By walt

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Leased then bought this 2000 Taurus. 24 valve DOC engine. Flat out flies. Drive 50 miles round trip to work. Have loved this car--now has over 110K on it and performs like new. No tune up until 98K. Power seat, power mirrors are great. Not kidding--even with all those miles--runs like new. Have replaced struts and front springs, but that was after 100K.

Favorite Features

Got the better stereo from factory - worth it. Great acceleration from 24V engine. High crash rating--got optional side air bags--never needed, but makes you feel safer. I take immaculate care of this car inside and out. After washing and polishing the car looks brand new.

Suggested Improvements

Why in the world did Ford quit making such a nice car?