Used 2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

One of Ford's better ideas
By John Hamilton

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

We bought this car as an "executive driven" used vehicle with only 5500 miles on the odometer in 2001. Other than the individual coils on the spark plugs failing at the worst times and the intake manifold blowing, the car has had only routine maintenance. The ride,fuel economy and reliability has been very good. The 24 valve engine has had the oil and filter changed regularly at 3,000 mile intervals and performs very well for an eight year old car. The leather seats are still in excellent condition and I had individual dual heating installed by the dealer at time of purchase. I hope to keep this car for the foreseeable future.

24 valve engine. The power is there when you need it. This car has been to Florida 5 times on 2600 mile round trips and was very comfortable. Great on all trips.

Rear headrests. Why didn't Ford design rear headrests on the SEL model?

Prayerfully on borrowed time.
By Susie Q

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new because Ford offered me a deal on my dead 4 year old Windstar. 8 Yrs later, it now has 226k miles on it (everything works). Need I say more? It gets 30 mpg on the hwy. Always used Mobile 1. Replaced the brakes annually due to driving hard and often. A few sensor problems. As precaution replaced the S belt at 100k. Mechanically sound & no big issues other than suspension wear & tear. My kids are driving their own cars now & other than wanting a fun car to drive, I can't justify replacing it. (the kids borrow the Taurus when their cars breakdown-go figure!) I'm hoping & praying she makes it to 300k miles. I'll let you know when she does!

Comfortable on long drives. Peppy engine 24v-tec. Seats 8, which was great when I was driving kids. Good gas mileage. When new, it was 'almost' stylish for a wagon.

One huge complaint! I have leather seats, power seats, 3rd row seat, but no CD player, only a radio and cassette player. This was tough on long trips. What were they thinking?

Never Again
By Jay

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Will never buy another Ford again. This vehicle had 1st transmission & power steering pump replaced after 40k miles, 2nd factory rebuilt transmission went at 103k miles and 2nd power steering replaced at 85k along with air conditioning compressor. Worst vehicle for maintenance that I have ever owned.

Style and room

Plan on anti-anxiety drugs!
By sad and broke

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought the car new, looking for an alternative to a minivan. It is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. I had several recalls, but most distressing was engine failure at 114K. I replaced the engine and got a 75K guaranty, only to have it fail again at 140K. In addition to the repair costs, I had to rent a car since there was no loaner provided. I replaced the engine, then traded it in on an Impala, and have heard from my mechanic that the engine has failed in the year since I traded in. I can't understand how a car with about 170K can be on its 4th engine. My first Ford, an Escort,was a great car. I mistakenly thought getting the Taurus would be a step up.

The seating is roomy and very comforable. This is important since you'll often be sitting by the road, stranded. It handles well when running. I liked the bench seat and 3rd seat options.

Ford needs to invest some time in improving quality and providing relief to customers who are having chronic problems. At some point it would be good PR to say,"How can we make this right for you?" The CD changer placement was ridiculous.

'00 Taurus SES
By RD

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Bought a low mileage, SES with duratec engine. Can't say enough about the car. Build quality is excellent. Duratec engine is strong & powerful. I had a Sable before this SES, with Vulcan engine and there's no comparison. Clean, bold lines with none of the nanny features that are present today's vehicle. Straight forward and reliable is this SES, you can find many bargains on used Taurus & Sables.

Duratec engine, clean lines of the interior and exterior, smooth stout ride. No nanny features.

More mpg.