2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Perfect car for Anybody
By JCD II on 08/29/06 18:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

My mom bought this car new. It is so comfortable to drive and operate. I am 16 and I know plenty about cars. My mom bought a new '93 Taurus at the same dealership we got this one. We hated to see our old one go. It had over 200k on it, yet it still ran perfect. The Taurus is perfect for long vacations or just to go to town and back. Either way, this is the best car we have ever had. When I graduate in 2008 I'm taking this car to college. It's probably going to have 200k on it then, but I don't care. I have faith it won't skip a beat. It's been such a reliable car, I can always be sure that when I turn the key, the ol' motor will start right up. I will always recommend a good ol' Ford Taurus.

Surprises, Surprises...
By PGH_FORD on 06/25/06 18:17 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

I bought this Taurus SES new in 2000. It had no major problems for the first three years, other than 3 recalls. After 3 years things got interesting. At 44K, one of the rear coil springs snapped which destroyed a new tire as well as a rear strut. I ended up having to have both rear springs replaced, a new strut mount, 2 new struts, a new tire, and an alignment. The cost was over $1,500. The kicker was, this very problem was considered a safety recall on the front wheels, but not the back. Ford Customer service was not helpful. At 60,000 miles, my transmission began leaking fluid all over the garage floor. This ended up costing me $925 to for new gaskets and a torque converter.

Brembo Brake Rotors Needed, Best Buy
By observer22 on 05/01/06 00:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Mandatory to have Brembo brake rotors installed on any Taurus (no special brake pads needed) to overcome the rather poor stopping performance with standard rotors. Like a Volvo, it is comfortable, great crash test scores, quiet. More reliable and much less expensive to work on than Volvo. Large trunk. Best to get a Taurus when it is 4 years or older due to depreciation. Cheap to insure and 2000 and newer models have addressed the various problems & weird styling of late 90s models. Buy it!

The Best Car on The Road
By aw on 04/13/06 12:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my father this last year and I love it. It has been taken care of and drives and looks just like it did when it was new. If you are looking for the most bang for your buck the Taurus is the right car for you.

Good car for less money.
By Jack White on 03/23/06 01:58 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

The ride and handling for the price was much much more than I had anticipated. The mileage is over 30 on the highway and about 22 in the city with the air conditioning going most of the time in Florida. The mileage is actually better now at 105,000 miles than it was at 20,000 miles. The room inside is very generous. The look and paint is excellent even 6 years later. The depreciation is average for an American car so for the money a used 2000 Taurus is a good buy in my mind. The problems over the years were less than average for an American car also.

Good, but junk
By Ken on 02/08/06 18:02 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

This is a powerful car. Fun to drive. Took it from Wisconsin to Arizona with no problems. But ... this thing is junk. I've had to put so much money into this thing. Brakes, fuel injectors, air conditioning, tie rods, steering column, had it in for transmissions problems 5 TIMES, engine noise (dealer cant find the problem). As soon as I hit 75,000 miles, WHEN THE WARRANTY WAS UP, the front end started making noise. Oh also, the steering makes a loud squeaking noise. Typical Ford product. Nice car, if you have the money for regular maintenance. By the way i only have 75,000 miles on it. My Chevy has 182,000 miles with no major problems.

My reliable used Ford.
By Eric Wehrenberg on 01/19/06 01:41 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This is by far the BEST used car that I ever purchased. The ride is smooth and the car is mechanically sound. Gas mileage is as high as 28 highway but on average is in the area of 26 mpg. Even around town the Taurus is good on gas. I am truly pleased with this car. Visibility is good and the truck space is large. Seating is comfortable and car seats fit in the back without difficulty. I would recommend the Ford Taurus to anyone who is looking for a reliable used vehicle.

Roomy but no power
By maryann on 01/17/06 09:30 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

We needed a roomier car than my Honda Accord for our growing family. The Taurus wagon was a great fit for all four plus a 50 lb. dog. I was grateful for selecting it over an SUV when we avoided a head on collision through emergency handling in New Brunswick Canada. The car was loaded for a 2-week vacation with luggage carrier on top. We absolutely would have rolled over in an SUV. The car (and driver) performed beautifully under extreme conditions. Negatives: this car eats brake pads for lunch and I'm no pedal to the metal driver, no rabbit starts and stops. On several occasions, the car has stalled on the highway and no mechanic has been able to diagnose the problem.

2000 Ford Taurus decent auto
By peter on 01/02/06 15:30 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I have had this car for 5 years; it is a decent car. My main gripe is lousy gas mileage in the city -- around 16-18 mpg. The mechanical reliability is ok, but it seems that there is a lot of normal wear and tear, such as struts,tie rods etc. I have the v6 with 153 hp. I wish I had purchased the more powerful engine as sometimes the car seems that it cannot get out of its own way. I like the safety features; front and side impact air bags, 4 wheel ABS. It is a really good looking car and overall have no regrets buying this car.

Nice solid car
By Michael vanHaagen on 12/21/05 09:43 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

My dad gave me the Ford SES FFV with 70 thousand miles on it. I drove it from California to Texas. The car handles well on windy days and really likes to drive at freeway speed for hours at a time. Mileage on trip was about 30MPG. I also have a Toyota Corolla same year -- 2000. The Ford is more solid. However I am kind of scared to drive the Ford because of its reputation for problems. The car has had many recalls and some problems like fuel pump failures as seen by the repair history kept by my dad. The Toyota has none. I guess time will tell but so far I have not had any problems.