2000 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Great performance, for a few years
By MAC on 10/24/07 08:59 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan

I loved the way this car drove. It was so powerful and agile. When you shut the door, you feel the weight of the metal that protects you. With the traction control, I couldn't make the car slide on snow even when I tried. After about 70k miles (bought w/40k), the car just fell apart. At one point, I was putting $500-800 a month in maintenance into it. The door lock latch busted and wouldn't shut when it was really cold, engine lights would go on, the A/C compressor died, it had some carbon in the manifold that no amount of cleaner would fix. I may buy another Taurus, but I would suggest buying one with 12k miles and trading at 60k. Let someone else keep it on life support.

Fantastic Car
By rmw313 on 05/22/07 18:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for about 1 1/2 years. It now has 90,000 miles and I never had any problems with it. I love this car. It's so much fun to drive. The only drawback is the fuel economy. I usually get about 22 mpg. But other than that this is an amazing car!

Loved it!
By Maverick on 02/13/07 17:50 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought mine with 36K for $6000. I had minor niggles with the car. 1 month after I bought the car, realized that oil gasket had a leak but the problem was not serious. Occasionally the car smoked but the problem never got out of hand. I got tires changed at 40K and brakes changed at about 60K. Steering squeaks (heard many such complaints about the model). I had the "check engine" light at about 70K - problem with DPFEP valve but the light went away before I could get it repaired. Overall I did not have serious issues with the car. The car was fun to ride. No matter how long I drove I never felt tired. Wrecked it at 80K - now I am unable to resist buying another Taurus.

great performing sedan
By walt on 01/20/07 14:51 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Leased then bought this 2000 Taurus. 24 valve DOC engine. Flat out flies. Drive 50 miles round trip to work. Have loved this car--now has over 110K on it and performs like new. No tune up until 98K. Power seat, power mirrors are great. Not kidding--even with all those miles--runs like new. Have replaced struts and front springs, but that was after 100K.

A nice surprise!
By mike32779 on 11/22/06 19:42 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

This was originally my company car. I picked it up new in 7/00, drove it for 3+ years, and bought it from GE Fleet Leasing at 60,000 miles when it was due to be turned in. I got a new company car (2003 Impala) and gave the Taurus to my son. He's still driving it, and there have been no major breakdowns or failures. I am really very impressed with the vehicle. A winner!

Great vehicle for the money!
By Logan on 11/11/06 10:19 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan

We bought our 2000 Ford Taurus SEL in 2005. It had 86,000 miles on it and was fully loaded; we paid only $5,700 from a private seller. It was in good condition and still is. Since we've only owned the car for 2 years, I cannot tell you the reliability for its lifetime, but since we've owned it, we've only had a couple of problems with it. A couple of weeks after we bought it, some sort of a spring or something broke. Not a big deal; it wasn't a lot of money to have fixed. One speaker sometimes doesn't work on the Mach audio system, which we are going to try and have fixed. Overall this car is a great value for the money.

Perfect car for Anybody
By JCD II on 08/29/06 18:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My mom bought this car new. It is so comfortable to drive and operate. I am 16 and I know plenty about cars. My mom bought a new '93 Taurus at the same dealership we got this one. We hated to see our old one go. It had over 200k on it, yet it still ran perfect. The Taurus is perfect for long vacations or just to go to town and back. Either way, this is the best car we have ever had. When I graduate in 2008 I'm taking this car to college. It's probably going to have 200k on it then, but I don't care. I have faith it won't skip a beat. It's been such a reliable car, I can always be sure that when I turn the key, the ol' motor will start right up. I will always recommend a good ol' Ford Taurus.

Surprises, Surprises...
By PGH_FORD on 06/25/06 18:17 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

I bought this Taurus SES new in 2000. It had no major problems for the first three years, other than 3 recalls. After 3 years things got interesting. At 44K, one of the rear coil springs snapped which destroyed a new tire as well as a rear strut. I ended up having to have both rear springs replaced, a new strut mount, 2 new struts, a new tire, and an alignment. The cost was over $1,500. The kicker was, this very problem was considered a safety recall on the front wheels, but not the back. Ford Customer service was not helpful. At 60,000 miles, my transmission began leaking fluid all over the garage floor. This ended up costing me $925 to for new gaskets and a torque converter.

Brembo Brake Rotors Needed, Best Buy
By observer22 on 05/01/06 00:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Mandatory to have Brembo brake rotors installed on any Taurus (no special brake pads needed) to overcome the rather poor stopping performance with standard rotors. Like a Volvo, it is comfortable, great crash test scores, quiet. More reliable and much less expensive to work on than Volvo. Large trunk. Best to get a Taurus when it is 4 years or older due to depreciation. Cheap to insure and 2000 and newer models have addressed the various problems & weird styling of late 90s models. Buy it!

The Best Car on The Road
By aw on 04/13/06 12:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my father this last year and I love it. It has been taken care of and drives and looks just like it did when it was new. If you are looking for the most bang for your buck the Taurus is the right car for you.