2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Xlnt Taurus, but.
By hm on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Overall v. good. I find that driving at speeds <70mph on California freeways and roads produces a better ride. Cross country driving, i.e., smoother highways afford better ride at higher speeds. Mileage is good in town (18-21 mpg) w/ a/c on. Highway mileage is 30mpg either way. I am very impressed w/the ABS brakes except that panic stops (?)tend to warp the front rotors. (A minor problem).

Great Family Car
By bracko on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

We have enjoyed this car in Texas region a lot. With two small children, the oversize trunk is a compromise to having a huge SUV with poor fuel economy. We feel that the safety of this vehicle is superior with great traction control for inclement weather and side curtain airbags. Inside is super comfortable with all the options of a luxury vehicle at a very affordable price!

Double edge sword
By marylee on 06/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car on a lease in the first year of ownership I had it in the shop 5 times for the valve clanking. and horrific gas milage. Well I fianally gave up when they kept telling me there was nothing wrong with the car. My lease is up and being 15k over the lease allowance - I will buy the car out right. I dont want another Ford this was my second. The saddest thing is it is the most comfortable car I could ask for and the safty features are great. Due I sacrifies gas gussling and clanking for cumfort?

lots of trouble
By unhappyRay on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 29k miles on it, and soon I started to get problem. First the passenger side leaked and the hood stuck. About a year latter got the headlight switch problem(Ford recalled for previous year model for this problem, but not 2000), then rear brake leaked. A lot of body roll, mechanics told me the struts were soft but not need to be replaced yet($600 job). Fan squeak during wet weather, steering also squeaks, one window rattles at high speed, and there's other unidentifiable squeak.Will dump it soon. I thought American cars had improved but I was wrong, this is my first Ford and will be the last.

Starting Problems
By BigTuna on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

I am very disapointed with this car. I bought it used. It had 28K miles and was a least car. The problem started after about 7 months. It was then out of warranty. The problem is, on occasion it will not start. But if you wait a while, 10 minutes to an hour it will start. I've had it to machanics 4 times. One time to the dealer, and know one can find the problem. This is my 2nd Taurus. The 1st one was an 89 with a similar problem. Never another Taurus. I am about to trade it on a 20043 Camry.

Finished with Fords!
By Not Again on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

While fun to drive, it is obvious that Ford skimped on the breaking and suspension systems of this car. Too bad! Have gone through rotors several times. Struts have also been replaced. Getting sick of this pain in the butt car, and have given up on Ford.

Great performance!
By liljen28 on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Have had this vehicle 2 years now, 30K,and have enjoyed it! Was very reliable on 3,000 mile road trip last year, no problems, but getting a little worried with a third recall on this car.

Taurus Underated
By Carl Knechtel on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Mine is the SES model with the 200 hp V- 6. I now have 36,000 miles on the vehicle and have had no problems. Can't understand why Consumers' Report does not seem to like this car much. It is a lot of car for the money and very dependable.

An underated Yank!!!
By Ponsonby on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Being a Brit now living in Kansas City with my Kansan Wife. I have looked really carefully at buying a larger car to compliment our 2.4 Litre Grand-Am for longer journeys. I wanted something that had reasonable performance (200 bhp is enough with your strict speed code here), an overhead cam engine for less friction and better fuel consumption and reliability, plus ease of servce and parts availability. The overall impression of the car is that I am really pleased with it. Typically with a 4 valve engine, you have to rev it mid-range , but where a pushrod engine fades out at about 5000 r.p.m, this kiddy starts getting interesting.

Nice looking, but poor ride/quality.
By akeeney on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Problems with this vehicle from the start and none of the dealerships (3 total) can seem to fix them: loud brake and wind noises, door rattle, vibration between 40-50 mph, paint defects when delivered from factory. Many other "minor" issues which took weeks to correct. Ford Motor Co (consumer assistance)has been no help.