Used 2000 Ford Taurus SES Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

The Best Car on The Road
By aw

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my father this last year and I love it. It has been taken care of and drives and looks just like it did when it was new. If you are looking for the most bang for your buck the Taurus is the right car for you.

I like the lines, color, wheels, and overall engine performance. The sort of performance my 24 valve delivers is awesome!

Ford is only making the Taurus in '06 for rental car & fleet service companies. I wish the image was a little better so they could keep selling them.

Good, but junk
By Ken

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

This is a powerful car. Fun to drive. Took it from Wisconsin to Arizona with no problems. But ... this thing is junk. I've had to put so much money into this thing. Brakes, fuel injectors, air conditioning, tie rods, steering column, had it in for transmissions problems 5 TIMES, engine noise (dealer cant find the problem). As soon as I hit 75,000 miles, WHEN THE WARRANTY WAS UP, the front end started making noise. Oh also, the steering makes a loud squeaking noise. Typical Ford product. Nice car, if you have the money for regular maintenance. By the way i only have 75,000 miles on it. My Chevy has 182,000 miles with no major problems.

Love the power.

Make it so it can actually last!

Nice solid car
By Michael vanHaagen

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

My dad gave me the Ford SES FFV with 70 thousand miles on it. I drove it from California to Texas. The car handles well on windy days and really likes to drive at freeway speed for hours at a time. Mileage on trip was about 30MPG. I also have a Toyota Corolla same year -- 2000. The Ford is more solid. However I am kind of scared to drive the Ford because of its reputation for problems. The car has had many recalls and some problems like fuel pump failures as seen by the repair history kept by my dad. The Toyota has none. I guess time will tell but so far I have not had any problems.

Fold down rear seat, nice style, solid feel, good road manners, back A/C vent.

Need cruise control and key switch lighted at night; also a CD player would be good. Four wheel disk brakes would also be a plus.

Better than a Honda or a Toyota!
By Andy

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Okay, if you are looking for a great affordable car this is the one. My wife and I traded in her Element (after numerous problems) for the Taurus and I cannot pry her hands away from the keys. We go everywhere with the Taurus and have never had one issue with it. Right now we have 59K on it and it runs like it rolled off the showroom floor. To compare my in-laws have a 2000 Honda Accord with the same mileage that has had to have the water pump replaced twice and was leaking oil at the seals. And who would want a Camry with the sludge and seizing engine problems that were an issue for 1996-2002?!?! If you are looking for a safe and reliable vehicle look no further!

Powerful 24V V6, side air bags, handling is firm but not punishing for a sedan. I average 28 mpg with Taurus, wonderful reliability!

I must admit I miss the SHO :)

Underrated Car for the masses
By Ian

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

My Duratec 24V engine Taurus has been utterly reliable. I've covered 39,000 miles since 11/02. I service it myself and use synthetic oil and high quality filters, which I change every 10K miles. I got a repair shop to change the serpentine belt, changed brake fluid and auto-fluid too. This helps maintain the car's life and reliability I feel. Regarding performance, only use the overdrive 4th gear on freeways, stick to the 3 speed around town, gas mileage will improve as the box is not hunting up and down all the time. Great road holding and comfort. Seats are hard, but good for my back and there is oceans of space inside. Controls are easy to use. Brakes are appalling, as is wind noise.

Comfort, handling, road holding, performance, gas mileage due to sensible gearing, steering has good feel, although a little undergeared. Controls easy to use, ABS and traction works well. Good crash protection, although side airbags should be standard.

Disc brakes all around. Double pots on the front brakes to avoid the 'magic- inch' when nothing happens when you brake initially. Better door sealing. ABS/Traction/Side bags should be standard. Worst problem is Fords H.Q. customer service. I complained about service locally, their response was a joke.