2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Prayerfully on borrowed time.
By Susie Q on 11/09/08 12:36 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new because Ford offered me a deal on my dead 4 year old Windstar. 8 Yrs later, it now has 226k miles on it (everything works). Need I say more? It gets 30 mpg on the hwy. Always used Mobile 1. Replaced the brakes annually due to driving hard and often. A few sensor problems. As precaution replaced the S belt at 100k. Mechanically sound & no big issues other than suspension wear & tear. My kids are driving their own cars now & other than wanting a fun car to drive, I can't justify replacing it. (the kids borrow the Taurus when their cars breakdown-go figure!) I'm hoping & praying she makes it to 300k miles. I'll let you know when she does!

Never Again
By Jay on 09/18/08 15:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Will never buy another Ford again. This vehicle had 1st transmission & power steering pump replaced after 40k miles, 2nd factory rebuilt transmission went at 103k miles and 2nd power steering replaced at 85k along with air conditioning compressor. Worst vehicle for maintenance that I have ever owned.

Plan on anti-anxiety drugs!
By sad and broke on 08/20/08 20:13 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought the car new, looking for an alternative to a minivan. It is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. I had several recalls, but most distressing was engine failure at 114K. I replaced the engine and got a 75K guaranty, only to have it fail again at 140K. In addition to the repair costs, I had to rent a car since there was no loaner provided. I replaced the engine, then traded it in on an Impala, and have heard from my mechanic that the engine has failed in the year since I traded in. I can't understand how a car with about 170K can be on its 4th engine. My first Ford, an Escort,was a great car. I mistakenly thought getting the Taurus would be a step up.

'00 Taurus SES
By RD on 08/09/08 05:14 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Bought a low mileage, SES with duratec engine. Can't say enough about the car. Build quality is excellent. Duratec engine is strong & powerful. I had a Sable before this SES, with Vulcan engine and there's no comparison. Clean, bold lines with none of the nanny features that are present today's vehicle. Straight forward and reliable is this SES, you can find many bargains on used Taurus & Sables.

Only OK
By OK on 06/26/08 10:58 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I have a 2000 Taurus with 140,000 miles on it. Besides basic maintenace, there are things that I've had to get fixed. A lot of the sensors went bad an they had to be replaced. That cost about $200. The fans for the airconditioner went bad and had to be replaced. That was a about $600. Finally at 139,000 the transmission had to be rebuilt. That was $1600. This car is OK. I recommend not keeping it after 100,000 miles.

Reliable SES
By Buddy4 on 03/27/08 08:58 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Has been a very reliable car, never have had anything fail or break down. The only expenses have been routine maintainence items, i.e. belts, hoses, battery, tires, etc.

Awesome car!
By rudedog36 on 03/19/08 18:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car when it was a year old back in 2001, and I have to say it;'s been one of the best cars I've ever owned. I've only had two problems with the car. One was a starter, and the other a coil pack, both of wich i fixed myself. I plan on keeping this car until it dies.

Great family car
By owner on 02/20/08 07:11 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I've owned this car for almost 3 years and other than oil changes, a precautionary tune-up I gave it after I bought it and a tune up just recently, The only money I put into it (as far as repairs) were for a few faulty sensors none more that $100.00 that I easaly replaced myself. It's roomy, has a powerful DOHC. Great travel car if you have kids and they can bring their friends. My kids loved the rear facing third seat.

Perfect car for Anybody II
By Jcd II on 12/29/07 18:19 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I posted a review 8/29/2006 on this car when I was 16. I am now 18 and have recently wrecked my precious Taurus. I was turning down my street comming home from school and spilled my soda, I over compensated and hit a brick culvert in a diitch, at a pretty good speed. I was shocked when I wedged the door open. I couldn't believe I came out without a scratch. The car is so safe. My grandfather came to me with a tractor and rope, we didn't need it. I turned the key and it started like a new one, I drove it home, still drove straight and true. I fixed it myself. You can't even tell. This car is so safe. When it's washed, it's the best lookin' car on the block!

Nightmare!
By WSUgrad on 11/11/07 16:29 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I knew buying used from a private party could be risky, but it was a one-owner car with highway miles. Since owning, I have replaced 3 sensors (research the EGR pressure sensor issues on these cars- Ford only part & expensive!), the transmission failed at 104,000 miles, the torque converter failed shortly after, radiator sprang a leak, water pump died, the brakes eat through the pads and the rotors warp easily (Ford or after-market), oh and it is pretty thirsty for a six cylinder (one with a measly 150 horsepower, at that!) Overall the worst carI have owned of 4 over my years and the last of the "Big Three" I will buy, new or used! I should have bought a Honda or Toyota!