Used 2000 Ford Taurus SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Prayerfully on borrowed time.
By Susie Q

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new because Ford offered me a deal on my dead 4 year old Windstar. 8 Yrs later, it now has 226k miles on it (everything works). Need I say more? It gets 30 mpg on the hwy. Always used Mobile 1. Replaced the brakes annually due to driving hard and often. A few sensor problems. As precaution replaced the S belt at 100k. Mechanically sound & no big issues other than suspension wear & tear. My kids are driving their own cars now & other than wanting a fun car to drive, I can't justify replacing it. (the kids borrow the Taurus when their cars breakdown-go figure!) I'm hoping & praying she makes it to 300k miles. I'll let you know when she does!

Favorite Features

Comfortable on long drives. Peppy engine 24v-tec. Seats 8, which was great when I was driving kids. Good gas mileage. When new, it was 'almost' stylish for a wagon.

Suggested Improvements

One huge complaint! I have leather seats, power seats, 3rd row seat, but no CD player, only a radio and cassette player. This was tough on long trips. What were they thinking?

Never Again
By Jay

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Will never buy another Ford again. This vehicle had 1st transmission & power steering pump replaced after 40k miles, 2nd factory rebuilt transmission went at 103k miles and 2nd power steering replaced at 85k along with air conditioning compressor. Worst vehicle for maintenance that I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Style and room

Plan on anti-anxiety drugs!
By sad and broke

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought the car new, looking for an alternative to a minivan. It is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. I had several recalls, but most distressing was engine failure at 114K. I replaced the engine and got a 75K guaranty, only to have it fail again at 140K. In addition to the repair costs, I had to rent a car since there was no loaner provided. I replaced the engine, then traded it in on an Impala, and have heard from my mechanic that the engine has failed in the year since I traded in. I can't understand how a car with about 170K can be on its 4th engine. My first Ford, an Escort,was a great car. I mistakenly thought getting the Taurus would be a step up.

Favorite Features

The seating is roomy and very comforable. This is important since you'll often be sitting by the road, stranded. It handles well when running. I liked the bench seat and 3rd seat options.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to invest some time in improving quality and providing relief to customers who are having chronic problems. At some point it would be good PR to say,"How can we make this right for you?" The CD changer placement was ridiculous.

Great family car
By owner

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I've owned this car for almost 3 years and other than oil changes, a precautionary tune-up I gave it after I bought it and a tune up just recently, The only money I put into it (as far as repairs) were for a few faulty sensors none more that $100.00 that I easaly replaced myself. It's roomy, has a powerful DOHC. Great travel car if you have kids and they can bring their friends. My kids loved the rear facing third seat.

Favorite Features

24v DOHC, third seat, roof rack, can range from family car to pick-up with the second and third seats folded down. Although it's not recommended I can leave some serious rubber on the road.

Suggested Improvements

None

Nightmare!
By WSUgrad

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I knew buying used from a private party could be risky, but it was a one-owner car with highway miles. Since owning, I have replaced 3 sensors (research the EGR pressure sensor issues on these cars- Ford only part & expensive!), the transmission failed at 104,000 miles, the torque converter failed shortly after, radiator sprang a leak, water pump died, the brakes eat through the pads and the rotors warp easily (Ford or after-market), oh and it is pretty thirsty for a six cylinder (one with a measly 150 horsepower, at that!) Overall the worst carI have owned of 4 over my years and the last of the "Big Three" I will buy, new or used! I should have bought a Honda or Toyota!

Favorite Features

Ride quality, quiet interior

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, torque converter, EGR pressure relief sensor. General reliability is terrible.