2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Nice solid car
By Michael vanHaagen on 12/21/05 09:43 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

My dad gave me the Ford SES FFV with 70 thousand miles on it. I drove it from California to Texas. The car handles well on windy days and really likes to drive at freeway speed for hours at a time. Mileage on trip was about 30MPG. I also have a Toyota Corolla same year -- 2000. The Ford is more solid. However I am kind of scared to drive the Ford because of its reputation for problems. The car has had many recalls and some problems like fuel pump failures as seen by the repair history kept by my dad. The Toyota has none. I guess time will tell but so far I have not had any problems.

Better than a Honda or a Toyota!
By Andy on 10/12/05 17:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Okay, if you are looking for a great affordable car this is the one. My wife and I traded in her Element (after numerous problems) for the Taurus and I cannot pry her hands away from the keys. We go everywhere with the Taurus and have never had one issue with it. Right now we have 59K on it and it runs like it rolled off the showroom floor. To compare my in-laws have a 2000 Honda Accord with the same mileage that has had to have the water pump replaced twice and was leaking oil at the seals. And who would want a Camry with the sludge and seizing engine problems that were an issue for 1996-2002?!?! If you are looking for a safe and reliable vehicle look no further!

Underrated Car for the masses
By Ian on 08/31/05 15:08 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

My Duratec 24V engine Taurus has been utterly reliable. I've covered 39,000 miles since 11/02. I service it myself and use synthetic oil and high quality filters, which I change every 10K miles. I got a repair shop to change the serpentine belt, changed brake fluid and auto-fluid too. This helps maintain the car's life and reliability I feel. Regarding performance, only use the overdrive 4th gear on freeways, stick to the 3 speed around town, gas mileage will improve as the box is not hunting up and down all the time. Great road holding and comfort. Seats are hard, but good for my back and there is oceans of space inside. Controls are easy to use. Brakes are appalling, as is wind noise.

Average at best
By lary jameson on 04/22/05 15:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Average American car. Needs repair every 5-6 months. Starter, wiper motor, computer chip, brake vibration etc. Last 3 cars (Toyota & Subarus) went to 150K miles without this type of repair. Dealers can't seem to fix problems the first time but have got it right without extra charge. Cheaper than comparable Japanese make with same features but you make it up with repairs.

Excellent 2000 Taurus SES
By Ronald Winn on 04/10/05 23:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

I have had no problems with this car until April, 2005. Then I had an erratic undocumented airbag light error light. The motor, 24 valve DOHC is very fast, but does not get good gas mileage.

Ok vehicle, but get a cheap mechanic!
By dirtyone on 03/28/05 11:15 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

The SE/SVG looks good, inside & out, but underneath there are some pretty expensive repairs waiting to creep up on you: just after buying this car, had to bring it back in (with dealer plates still attached!) because condensation from the heater/a/c unit leaked water all over the front passenger side floor. Dealer tried to charge $800+ to fix & then I had to bring it right back in to get them to fix it completely; chirping noise from front wheels was never correctly diagnosed - front rotors were shot, had to get private garage to fix, probably saved me $250+ than having incompetent Ford dealer try to fix it; steering wheel shakes around 60 mph & when braking from 60+ down to ~30; little things kill this car.

Don't keep it too long....
By suzieQ on 12/11/04 11:33 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 32K miles, ran great for two years. Due to bad gaskets it now it has major cooling system problems that will require replacement of the entire system. (Heater core, water pump, radiator, etc.) Have been told by 3 different repair shops that this is a common problem for the Taurus, and any repairs I make will most likely need to be repeated after a year or two. This is my second Taurus & both have had transmission issues around 100K as well. Value on this car depreciates quickly too! Not a great investment.

Do not buy a Taurus!
By Turpie on 06/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Run, don't walk away from buying a Taurus! Although this vehicle is fun to drive and looks sharp, it is prone to mechnical problems. This is the second Taurus sedan I have owned (and the last) and both had transmissionproblems at about 70,000 miles (under normal city driving conditions). Plus, they do not hold their value, so you;re going to get sunk on the financial end of the deal, too. Do yourself a favor...buy a Honda, a Toyota, but whatever you buy, DO NOT BUY A TAURUS!!!

DO NOT BUY
By 2000 Lemon on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Covert Ford delivered the car with a huge scratch on the drivers side window. A sign I should have backed out of the deal immediately. The AC unit has been replaced 2 times in 4 years. Both time failing on long trips. The seams on the Leather Interior seats are coming apart. The rear door panels on both side the vinyl is coming un-glued from the doors Covert Ford can replace the rear door panels for only $900. It is the loudest driving car I have ever owned. Road noise will drown out the stereo system - not to mention a telephone call. Ford is poor Quality - Covert is bad service!

taurus review
By 4th taurus on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Brakes a problem, squeal, noises in rear, front roters warp often, brake light comes on.