Used 2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Good car for less money.
By Jack White

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

The ride and handling for the price was much much more than I had anticipated. The mileage is over 30 on the highway and about 22 in the city with the air conditioning going most of the time in Florida. The mileage is actually better now at 105,000 miles than it was at 20,000 miles. The room inside is very generous. The look and paint is excellent even 6 years later. The depreciation is average for an American car so for the money a used 2000 Taurus is a good buy in my mind. The problems over the years were less than average for an American car also.

The ride and the handling is very good for an American car. Visibility and generous interior. Paint is excellent.

Better transmission would be nice and would have gotten better scores from me.

Good, but junk
By Ken

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

This is a powerful car. Fun to drive. Took it from Wisconsin to Arizona with no problems. But ... this thing is junk. I've had to put so much money into this thing. Brakes, fuel injectors, air conditioning, tie rods, steering column, had it in for transmissions problems 5 TIMES, engine noise (dealer cant find the problem). As soon as I hit 75,000 miles, WHEN THE WARRANTY WAS UP, the front end started making noise. Oh also, the steering makes a loud squeaking noise. Typical Ford product. Nice car, if you have the money for regular maintenance. By the way i only have 75,000 miles on it. My Chevy has 182,000 miles with no major problems.

Love the power.

Make it so it can actually last!

My reliable used Ford.
By Eric Wehrenberg

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This is by far the BEST used car that I ever purchased. The ride is smooth and the car is mechanically sound. Gas mileage is as high as 28 highway but on average is in the area of 26 mpg. Even around town the Taurus is good on gas. I am truly pleased with this car. Visibility is good and the truck space is large. Seating is comfortable and car seats fit in the back without difficulty. I would recommend the Ford Taurus to anyone who is looking for a reliable used vehicle.

Tilt steering and anti lock brakes.

Acceleration from a stopped or slowed position such as coming out of a toll booth area is slow. I would expect a little quicker take off from a V6. Rear defrost button blends in too much with other dashboard controls. Rear seats should have anchors for car seats not just anchors on the back deck.

Roomy but no power
By maryann

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

We needed a roomier car than my Honda Accord for our growing family. The Taurus wagon was a great fit for all four plus a 50 lb. dog. I was grateful for selecting it over an SUV when we avoided a head on collision through emergency handling in New Brunswick Canada. The car was loaded for a 2-week vacation with luggage carrier on top. We absolutely would have rolled over in an SUV. The car (and driver) performed beautifully under extreme conditions. Negatives: this car eats brake pads for lunch and I'm no pedal to the metal driver, no rabbit starts and stops. On several occasions, the car has stalled on the highway and no mechanic has been able to diagnose the problem.

Best features include storage, visibility, passenger capacity (8!), emergency handling.

Interior locking gas cap should be on all vehicles. All of my Hondas had this feature. I bought a locking gas cap, but it was a pain using the key in frigid temperatures! The engine is under powered and gas mileage is poor. Ford needs to use more durable material for brake pads.

2000 Ford Taurus decent auto
By peter

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I have had this car for 5 years; it is a decent car. My main gripe is lousy gas mileage in the city -- around 16-18 mpg. The mechanical reliability is ok, but it seems that there is a lot of normal wear and tear, such as struts,tie rods etc. I have the v6 with 153 hp. I wish I had purchased the more powerful engine as sometimes the car seems that it cannot get out of its own way. I like the safety features; front and side impact air bags, 4 wheel ABS. It is a really good looking car and overall have no regrets buying this car.

Safety features, looks.