2000 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

SE 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )
Taurus Wagon: backup car/ recreational car
By twedt3304 on 05/04/13 20:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Ive had the car since 2002 and gets driven about once a month When I dont drive my 09 focus coupe. Its a great recreational car: I go camping in it: Just fold down the back seats flat and you have a perfect bed, with plenty of head room left for a 5' 7" guy and my kid. Another great thing is the fact is seats 8 comfortably. Overall very comfortable and great build quality, other than my son says it looks like a potato. I Highly recommend it if Your looking for a Family or recreational car.

Faithful Family Hauler
By popperoni2 on 06/07/12 15:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I bought my wagon used in 2002, with 18,000 miles on it. It now has over 163,000 miles and is my 24 y.o. son's daily driver. With routine maintenance, I've never had any major failures. Still has the original tranny. AC blows cold. I commuted 35 miles (each way) daily for 3 years with no problems. It survived three years of being a primary driver for 2 different high schoolers, and four years as a frat beer hauler. It's been loaded for multiple college move-ins and move-outs. Even hauled a trailer full of furniture from Mich. to D.C. Still looks good, inside and out. Just today, it completed a 120-mile trip without a hitch. It's a great car.

Much better than earlier models
By stealthfd on 06/12/10 09:57 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

We have over 100k on this wagon. Great suburban hauler,good for shopping and 2x80 lbs dogs. mileage is ok. brakes are poor, do an upgrade (baer or sho); rear springs too soft, esp. for a wagon. shocks/struts upgraded for better handling. minor front end work. no engine/trans. problems (vs. prior models) cheaper than European wagons. not many aftermarket goods. some torque steer. decent acceleration. tapered rear entry limits many big items that would have fit if square opening. front coil replaced at 30k but broke at 70k, puncture tire on freeway curve; almost hit the wall!

Great Car, Seats8, Holds More than SUV!!
By triedandtrue on 03/24/10 07:03 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I purchased this car as an alternative to a minivan or SUV. Loved the fact that it seats 8 (three front row seat belts, three second row, and two more with flip up third row seat.) The wide opening at the back is amazing - held more than our minivan or previous SUV when hauling furniture, kids, building materials, etc. Car was VERY reliable, just oil changes and basic maintenance. This car was an EXCELLENT value for us. Planned to keep it just a couple years but can't bear to part with it - it's been a great all-around car!

Don't Do it!
By OceanDancer on 02/12/09 21:51 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

This car is not worth the money. At 120k I have put $1400 in front end work. It eats up rotors. My valve cover gaskets are leaking. My heat decided to stop working this week. My lights dim when I brake, interior lights won't shut off, this is just a few of the numerous electrical problems. Two words for this car, money pit!

Prayerfully on borrowed time.
By Susie Q on 11/09/08 12:36 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new because Ford offered me a deal on my dead 4 year old Windstar. 8 Yrs later, it now has 226k miles on it (everything works). Need I say more? It gets 30 mpg on the hwy. Always used Mobile 1. Replaced the brakes annually due to driving hard and often. A few sensor problems. As precaution replaced the S belt at 100k. Mechanically sound & no big issues other than suspension wear & tear. My kids are driving their own cars now & other than wanting a fun car to drive, I can't justify replacing it. (the kids borrow the Taurus when their cars breakdown-go figure!) I'm hoping & praying she makes it to 300k miles. I'll let you know when she does!

Never Again
By Jay on 09/18/08 15:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Will never buy another Ford again. This vehicle had 1st transmission & power steering pump replaced after 40k miles, 2nd factory rebuilt transmission went at 103k miles and 2nd power steering replaced at 85k along with air conditioning compressor. Worst vehicle for maintenance that I have ever owned.

Plan on anti-anxiety drugs!
By sad and broke on 08/20/08 20:13 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I bought the car new, looking for an alternative to a minivan. It is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. I had several recalls, but most distressing was engine failure at 114K. I replaced the engine and got a 75K guaranty, only to have it fail again at 140K. In addition to the repair costs, I had to rent a car since there was no loaner provided. I replaced the engine, then traded it in on an Impala, and have heard from my mechanic that the engine has failed in the year since I traded in. I can't understand how a car with about 170K can be on its 4th engine. My first Ford, an Escort,was a great car. I mistakenly thought getting the Taurus would be a step up.

Great family car
By owner on 02/20/08 07:11 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I've owned this car for almost 3 years and other than oil changes, a precautionary tune-up I gave it after I bought it and a tune up just recently, The only money I put into it (as far as repairs) were for a few faulty sensors none more that $100.00 that I easaly replaced myself. It's roomy, has a powerful DOHC. Great travel car if you have kids and they can bring their friends. My kids loved the rear facing third seat.

Nightmare!
By WSUgrad on 11/11/07 16:29 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I knew buying used from a private party could be risky, but it was a one-owner car with highway miles. Since owning, I have replaced 3 sensors (research the EGR pressure sensor issues on these cars- Ford only part & expensive!), the transmission failed at 104,000 miles, the torque converter failed shortly after, radiator sprang a leak, water pump died, the brakes eat through the pads and the rotors warp easily (Ford or after-market), oh and it is pretty thirsty for a six cylinder (one with a measly 150 horsepower, at that!) Overall the worst carI have owned of 4 over my years and the last of the "Big Three" I will buy, new or used! I should have bought a Honda or Toyota!