Used 2000 Ford Taurus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

2000 Taurus original owner
By lledbetter2266

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in April of 2000. Ford had a problem with a few bad fuel pumps that year, and a few bad brake light switches, each of which were fixed under warranty during the first six months that I owned it. Since then, this car has been bulletproof reliable, with no issues until the computer failed. I replaced that. Then, in 2011, vacuum lines rotted, required replacement. Now it runs perfect yet again. Struts are worn out now, and I will replace them myself. Front brake rotors also replaced. A/C is still ice cold after 13 years, and Trans works perfectly never been repaired. Car has 136,000 miles on it and runs perfectly with great mpg of about 28 on the hwy. A GREAT car!

Favorite Features

Excellent rack and pinion steering, no wear, still very tight. Power is still good, with the 24 valve V-6. Driving position is very comfortable. Rides great, runs great, and trunk is huge, plenty of storage. Price was 21k when new, reasonable and has been paid for since 2004. Ford built a winner with the 2000 model.

Suggested Improvements

Due to it's age of 13 years, I have no blue tooth, no mp3 port, no nav system, no back up camera, etc. Also there is a lot of road noise, and the car sits very low compared to newer cars. Otherwise how can anyone complain about a car that survives 13 years of driving with no major issues, and STILL runs and drives perfectly? Also the paint is still perfect, I don't know how Ford did it, but it's a truly great sedan.

... a love/hate relationship
By johnwz

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

It's tough to describe how I feel about this car. Got it used in 05 with about 140,000 miles on it and currently have close to 208,000 logged. The V6 is powerful but, of course, trades off fuel efficiency. Over the years I have noticed it has been losing coolant more than it should be, along with persistent cylinder misfires, always on cylinder 1 and the corresponding spark plug comes out looking worse than the others. I got a new cylinder head and spent a weekend putting that in. Maybe about 2000 miles since then the car runs better than ever and haven't noticed any more coolant leak. Somehow the transmission has remained solid throughout ownership.

Favorite Features

V6 acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Try not to use faulty cylinder heads, Ford.

Yes I Would Buy Another One
By philpill1

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car since 2002. During that time I replaced 2 coilpacks (DOHC engine), a DPFE sensor and replaced some vacum lines. I also own a 05 Dodge Dakota but on long trips we prefer to use the Taurus. The Dodge is good too but get gas mileage with the Taurus (28 mpg vs 19 for the Dodge).

Best new car I've owned
By Josh W.

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I average 18K miles per year. Only replaced one vacuum hose, tires a few times, changed the oil on time and replaced the drivers side power mirror when a deer ran into me. Still on original shocks, plugs and A/C charge. Just this week the cigar lighter circuit shorted out so my GPS won't charge. Power door locks failed a few years back and the cruise control will not "resume" any longer. Brake light in rear window is too large, corrected in newer models. At ten years old with over 180K miles...no complaints from this owner.

Favorite Features

Very powerful dual overhear cam engine. Comfortable front seats. Good visibility except for rear brake light hump in back window.

Many problems
By fordprobs

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Numerous problems with heating/coolant system. Additional problems with transmission-needed a new one with under 100k miles. Overall, a horrible purchase

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior with room.

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy this car