Used 2000 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

2000 SEL, Nice sedan with a tiny touch of sleeper
By IsaacFigNewton

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan

I got the car in a trade at 212,000 miles ran GREAT. Transmission seemed that it needed something... just fluid :P! Car does leak or burn just a TINY bit of oil, and I think the tranny must drip a tiny bit here and there too. Haven't bothered tightening the bolts down yet. The 24v DOHC provide plenty, PLENTY of power for a consumer sedan. People don't understand why they are being passed by a taurus..... at 200hp and 200 foot pounds of torque you can get on the highway anytime you want. AND pass all the pricks in grand am's, 3 series bmw's, and wanna be fast honda's and toyotas. It's been fun to drive. I live on a winding road and it corners great. The engine will run forever if you treat it well. Just be mindful of the plastic intake manifold (likes to mess with gaskets sometimes). Also be mindful to watch tranny fluid and engine oil. If you get lucky enough to get the Mach Audio system stock (in some ses's and sel's) you'll love it. Stock system is plenty powerful enough to shake my rearview mirror with no sub.....

Dependable (Kind of)
By AmbVY

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 2 years. It is now 16 years old. My grandmother owned it for 10 prior to me. She kept it running well by performing regular maintenance. The engine is very reliable. It has never had any problems. Same goes for the transmission. It is still going strong. The car still has the original alternator, as well.

However, it is rusting badly. The plastic running boards along the doors of the car are gone; there is no longer any metal for them to screw into. I have had to replace the gas tank because it was rusting through and leaking fuel. I have replaced the catalytic converter because it was rusting. The screws that hold the sway bar clips have snapped; those clips had to be welded to the body of the car. I have replaced the front struts once; the rear struts twice. Besides the engine, everything else is falling apart.

What's the good news? Well, I suppose I get slightly better gas mileage now that the car weighs less due to the constant erosion of rust. Stay away from this car.

The Black Phantom
By Dock

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

I have a Black Ford Taurus SES 24 Valve and It has 15 miles on it when I got. 15 years later it run and look brand new with 355,480 miles on it. I oil change it 6 times a year and change the transmission oil once a year. Also all other fluid in the car is changed yearly. I have only change the belt 3 times and the water pump twice the power steering pump once and everything else is great. I added a performance chip and a turbo blower to the unit and it help my gas mileage while increasing my horse power.

A Lemon!
By looking4adea1

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Ford Taurus about 3 years ago. My grandma had purchased it new and my sister had been driving it for about a year. I knew my grandma had taken good care of it and it had low mileage (under 60k). I am a student commuting to school so I did put a lot of miles on it. By now it has approximately 90k. I have poured thousands of dollars into it for repairs over the years. It constantly broke down. There was a consistent list of things that needed to be repaired. It was just a matter of what was priority. Now it just blew a head gasket and is basically done. It didn't even hit 100k miles. The car was a complete lemon!

I liked the look of the car and the air conditioner was always amazing. I have to give it that!

Build a better car.

2000 Taurus original owner
By lledbetter2266

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in April of 2000. Ford had a problem with a few bad fuel pumps that year, and a few bad brake light switches, each of which were fixed under warranty during the first six months that I owned it.

Since then, this car has been bulletproof reliable, with no issues until the computer failed. I replaced that. Then, in 2011, vacuum lines rotted, required replacement. Now it runs perfect yet again. Struts are worn out now, and I will replace them myself. Front brake rotors also replaced. A/C is still ice cold after 13 years, and Trans works perfectly never been repaired. Car has 136,000 miles on it and runs perfectly with great mpg of about 28 on the hwy. A GREAT car!

Excellent rack and pinion steering, no wear, still very tight. Power is still good, with the 24 valve V-6. Driving position is very comfortable. Rides great, runs great, and trunk is huge, plenty of storage. Price was 21k when new, reasonable and has been paid for since 2004. Ford built a winner with the 2000 model.

Due to it's age of 13 years, I have no blue tooth, no mp3 port, no nav system, no back up camera, etc. Also there is a lot of road noise, and the car sits very low compared to newer cars. Otherwise how can anyone complain about a car that survives 13 years of driving with no major issues, and STILL runs and drives perfectly? Also the paint is still perfect, I don't know how Ford did it, but it's a truly great sedan.