Used 2000 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

A Lemon!
By looking4adea1

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Ford Taurus about 3 years ago. My grandma had purchased it new and my sister had been driving it for about a year. I knew my grandma had taken good care of it and it had low mileage (under 60k). I am a student commuting to school so I did put a lot of miles on it. By now it has approximately 90k. I have poured thousands of dollars into it for repairs over the years. It constantly broke down. There was a consistent list of things that needed to be repaired. It was just a matter of what was priority. Now it just blew a head gasket and is basically done. It didn't even hit 100k miles. The car was a complete lemon!

I liked the look of the car and the air conditioner was always amazing. I have to give it that!

Build a better car.

2000 Taurus original owner
By lledbetter2266

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in April of 2000. Ford had a problem with a few bad fuel pumps that year, and a few bad brake light switches, each of which were fixed under warranty during the first six months that I owned it. Since then, this car has been bulletproof reliable, with no issues until the computer failed. I replaced that. Then, in 2011, vacuum lines rotted, required replacement. Now it runs perfect yet again. Struts are worn out now, and I will replace them myself. Front brake rotors also replaced. A/C is still ice cold after 13 years, and Trans works perfectly never been repaired. Car has 136,000 miles on it and runs perfectly with great mpg of about 28 on the hwy. A GREAT car!

Excellent rack and pinion steering, no wear, still very tight. Power is still good, with the 24 valve V-6. Driving position is very comfortable. Rides great, runs great, and trunk is huge, plenty of storage. Price was 21k when new, reasonable and has been paid for since 2004. Ford built a winner with the 2000 model.

Due to it's age of 13 years, I have no blue tooth, no mp3 port, no nav system, no back up camera, etc. Also there is a lot of road noise, and the car sits very low compared to newer cars. Otherwise how can anyone complain about a car that survives 13 years of driving with no major issues, and STILL runs and drives perfectly? Also the paint is still perfect, I don't know how Ford did it, but it's a truly great sedan.

... a love/hate relationship
By johnwz

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

It's tough to describe how I feel about this car. Got it used in 05 with about 140,000 miles on it and currently have close to 208,000 logged. The V6 is powerful but, of course, trades off fuel efficiency. Over the years I have noticed it has been losing coolant more than it should be, along with persistent cylinder misfires, always on cylinder 1 and the corresponding spark plug comes out looking worse than the others. I got a new cylinder head and spent a weekend putting that in. Maybe about 2000 miles since then the car runs better than ever and haven't noticed any more coolant leak. Somehow the transmission has remained solid throughout ownership.

V6 acceleration.

Try not to use faulty cylinder heads, Ford.

Good
By clcoleman

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 with 150,000 miles on it. When I bought it. It was a preferred car at the dealership. So it got mantenance, pretty often, Change oil every 3,000 miles, and routine expection every week! In 2011 I changed the spark plugs, plug wires, fuel pump. And resivor. (naturally for a 11 year old car). At 206,340 miles still runs strong.

Mirror with lights in sunvisor, faux leather on door panels, remote keyless entry, v6, alloy rims, truck space, buttons on sterring wheel.

Nothing. Great car. They dont make these models anymore so....

Yes I Would Buy Another One
By philpill1

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car since 2002. During that time I replaced 2 coilpacks (DOHC engine), a DPFE sensor and replaced some vacum lines. I also own a 05 Dodge Dakota but on long trips we prefer to use the Taurus. The Dodge is good too but get gas mileage with the Taurus (28 mpg vs 19 for the Dodge).