Used 2000 Ford Taurus SEL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Great car for the money
By Warren

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

This has been a good car, and gets 25- 28 mpg. It feels solid, has great power (Duratec engine). Automatic temperature control and sound system are great. I've made several repairs, but that's normal for a 10 year old car with 150,000 + miles. I replaced brakes, spark plugs, DPFE sensor, PCV system, intake manifold gasket, struts, sway bar end links, and front wheel bearings. I've kept the fluids and filters changed, and right now the car is in great shape. It uses no oil, runs great, and handles great. My only negative comment is that the faux leather trim on the inside door panels has deteriorated and come unglued, and the overhead access panel to the sunroof keeps falling down.

Comfortable, good power, good mpg, good sound system

Interior trim panels have not held up well. Rear view mirrors should be larger.

I would buy again
By Diane

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2000 Taurus SEL brand new and I still own it but am thinking of retiring it to a teen next year. I love the duratec engine and have had only minor repairs as I have always taken care of it. My air conditioner just now went, but that is expected with the age. I have enjoyed my Taurus very much over the 9 years.

Duratec engine, comfy leather seats, good heat

One of Ford's better ideas
By John Hamilton

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

We bought this car as an "executive driven" used vehicle with only 5500 miles on the odometer in 2001. Other than the individual coils on the spark plugs failing at the worst times and the intake manifold blowing, the car has had only routine maintenance. The ride,fuel economy and reliability has been very good. The 24 valve engine has had the oil and filter changed regularly at 3,000 mile intervals and performs very well for an eight year old car. The leather seats are still in excellent condition and I had individual dual heating installed by the dealer at time of purchase. I hope to keep this car for the foreseeable future.

24 valve engine. The power is there when you need it. This car has been to Florida 5 times on 2600 mile round trips and was very comfortable. Great on all trips.

Rear headrests. Why didn't Ford design rear headrests on the SEL model?

Great performance, for a few years
By MAC

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

I loved the way this car drove. It was so powerful and agile. When you shut the door, you feel the weight of the metal that protects you. With the traction control, I couldn't make the car slide on snow even when I tried. After about 70k miles (bought w/40k), the car just fell apart. At one point, I was putting $500-800 a month in maintenance into it. The door lock latch busted and wouldn't shut when it was really cold, engine lights would go on, the A/C compressor died, it had some carbon in the manifold that no amount of cleaner would fix. I may buy another Taurus, but I would suggest buying one with 12k miles and trading at 60k. Let someone else keep it on life support.

Great acceleration and handling. Love the sound system. This car is very solid, not like an import. Traction control is amazing in snow. Gas mileage never seemed like an issue. Huge trunk. Very comfortable.

There was a minimal vibration that I could never fix, even after replacing wheels, tires, balancing, most of front end, etc. Something went wrong in every system eventually. Great car when newer, money pit in the long- run. Best case scenario, buy with low miles, trade before 75k.

Great vehicle for the money!
By Logan

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

We bought our 2000 Ford Taurus SEL in 2005. It had 86,000 miles on it and was fully loaded; we paid only $5,700 from a private seller. It was in good condition and still is. Since we've only owned the car for 2 years, I cannot tell you the reliability for its lifetime, but since we've owned it, we've only had a couple of problems with it. A couple of weeks after we bought it, some sort of a spring or something broke. Not a big deal; it wasn't a lot of money to have fixed. One speaker sometimes doesn't work on the Mach audio system, which we are going to try and have fixed. Overall this car is a great value for the money.

Sunroof, Mach audio system, leather seats, rear spoiler, power seats/pedals, keypad entry, power everything!

where's the heated seats? HomeLink transmitter. What's up with all the cheap looking plastic inside? Trunk hinges intrude into cargo space.

• SUV