2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Great car for the money
By Warren on 08/14/09 09:34 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

This has been a good car, and gets 25- 28 mpg. It feels solid, has great power (Duratec engine). Automatic temperature control and sound system are great. I've made several repairs, but that's normal for a 10 year old car with 150,000 + miles. I replaced brakes, spark plugs, DPFE sensor, PCV system, intake manifold gasket, struts, sway bar end links, and front wheel bearings. I've kept the fluids and filters changed, and right now the car is in great shape. It uses no oil, runs great, and handles great. My only negative comment is that the faux leather trim on the inside door panels has deteriorated and come unglued, and the overhead access panel to the sunroof keeps falling down.

I would buy again
By Diane on 08/07/09 04:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2000 Taurus SEL brand new and I still own it but am thinking of retiring it to a teen next year. I love the duratec engine and have had only minor repairs as I have always taken care of it. My air conditioner just now went, but that is expected with the age. I have enjoyed my Taurus very much over the 9 years.

One of Ford's better ideas
By John Hamilton on 12/30/08 13:46 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

We bought this car as an "executive driven" used vehicle with only 5500 miles on the odometer in 2001. Other than the individual coils on the spark plugs failing at the worst times and the intake manifold blowing, the car has had only routine maintenance. The ride,fuel economy and reliability has been very good. The 24 valve engine has had the oil and filter changed regularly at 3,000 mile intervals and performs very well for an eight year old car. The leather seats are still in excellent condition and I had individual dual heating installed by the dealer at time of purchase. I hope to keep this car for the foreseeable future.

Great performance, for a few years
By MAC on 10/24/07 08:59 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

I loved the way this car drove. It was so powerful and agile. When you shut the door, you feel the weight of the metal that protects you. With the traction control, I couldn't make the car slide on snow even when I tried. After about 70k miles (bought w/40k), the car just fell apart. At one point, I was putting $500-800 a month in maintenance into it. The door lock latch busted and wouldn't shut when it was really cold, engine lights would go on, the A/C compressor died, it had some carbon in the manifold that no amount of cleaner would fix. I may buy another Taurus, but I would suggest buying one with 12k miles and trading at 60k. Let someone else keep it on life support.

Great vehicle for the money!
By Logan on 11/11/06 10:19 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

We bought our 2000 Ford Taurus SEL in 2005. It had 86,000 miles on it and was fully loaded; we paid only $5,700 from a private seller. It was in good condition and still is. Since we've only owned the car for 2 years, I cannot tell you the reliability for its lifetime, but since we've owned it, we've only had a couple of problems with it. A couple of weeks after we bought it, some sort of a spring or something broke. Not a big deal; it wasn't a lot of money to have fixed. One speaker sometimes doesn't work on the Mach audio system, which we are going to try and have fixed. Overall this car is a great value for the money.

5 years, Paid off, and Going Strong
By AvgMike on 07/12/05 10:56 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

I cannot complain about my Taurus. I have owned it since she was born and the car still refuses to disappoint. There have been the minor recalls and I have followed the recommended maintenance program. But that is expected and necessary if you want long life out of any car. The power is enough for my driving style, and the car still looks great!

American Car
By A.C. on 05/05/05 00:34 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

Bought my Taurus in May 2000. Now it has 87,000 miles on it. The problems: Brake sensor failed (recall); power steering pump made wining noise - replaced under warranty; right front window scratched pretty bad - replaced under warranty; driver's door is not tight, hense wind noise; funny noise in suspension - repaired under warranty, dealer never said what was wrong; power steering fluid leaked from under the filling cap; fuel gauge gives wrong reading; the warning light for the ABS doesn't work; right rear power window motor blew twice - replaced under warranty; the steering wheel air bag's cover is painted(!), had cracks in it after only 5 months, the paint rubs off easily. Fuel economy - none.

Solid, Reliable, but Plain & unexciting
By Practicality on 07/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 4 years ago. I have had no problems with it other than replacing the battery and the inconvenience of having recall repairs done. Even those have been infrequent and insignificant. The car still has decent power and acceleration and is a good reliable car for a practical family man like me. She is paid off with, knock on wood, 100K miles to go !!

4 years & time to sell
By rwarrenw on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

Drove this car hard the first two years, then backed off to normal. Major disappointment when I had to replace A/C compressor at 76,000 miles and 3 years of age!

Black Tauras
By sheri&chuck on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

I have had little to no problem with the Ford Tauras. I drive 70 miles to work a day, and have a wonderful relaxing ride. I love this car.