2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
2000 Taurus original owner
By lledbetter2266 on 02/09/13 21:33 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in April of 2000. Ford had a problem with a few bad fuel pumps that year, and a few bad brake light switches, each of which were fixed under warranty during the first six months that I owned it. Since then, this car has been bulletproof reliable, with no issues until the computer failed. I replaced that. Then, in 2011, vacuum lines rotted, required replacement. Now it runs perfect yet again. Struts are worn out now, and I will replace them myself. Front brake rotors also replaced. A/C is still ice cold after 13 years, and Trans works perfectly never been repaired. Car has 136,000 miles on it and runs perfectly with great mpg of about 28 on the hwy. A GREAT car!

... a love/hate relationship
By johnwz on 04/26/12 07:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

It's tough to describe how I feel about this car. Got it used in 05 with about 140,000 miles on it and currently have close to 208,000 logged. The V6 is powerful but, of course, trades off fuel efficiency. Over the years I have noticed it has been losing coolant more than it should be, along with persistent cylinder misfires, always on cylinder 1 and the corresponding spark plug comes out looking worse than the others. I got a new cylinder head and spent a weekend putting that in. Maybe about 2000 miles since then the car runs better than ever and haven't noticed any more coolant leak. Somehow the transmission has remained solid throughout ownership.

Yes I Would Buy Another One
By philpill1 on 01/11/11 14:05 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car since 2002. During that time I replaced 2 coilpacks (DOHC engine), a DPFE sensor and replaced some vacum lines. I also own a 05 Dodge Dakota but on long trips we prefer to use the Taurus. The Dodge is good too but get gas mileage with the Taurus (28 mpg vs 19 for the Dodge).

Best new car I've owned
By Josh W. on 08/15/10 06:17 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I average 18K miles per year. Only replaced one vacuum hose, tires a few times, changed the oil on time and replaced the drivers side power mirror when a deer ran into me. Still on original shocks, plugs and A/C charge. Just this week the cigar lighter circuit shorted out so my GPS won't charge. Power door locks failed a few years back and the cruise control will not "resume" any longer. Brake light in rear window is too large, corrected in newer models. At ten years old with over 180K miles...no complaints from this owner.

Many problems
By fordprobs on 12/02/09 09:51 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Numerous problems with heating/coolant system. Additional problems with transmission-needed a new one with under 100k miles. Overall, a horrible purchase

Don't Waste Your Money!!!
By mike on 03/07/09 17:00 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Buying my 2000 Ford Taurus SEL was one of the worst financial decisions I have ever made. Sure, the price was resonable for a 2-year-old Taurus in 2004, $9,500. However, I have spent at least $5,000 on repairs since: rear springs, main engine seal, wheel bearings, ball joints, emissions control assembly, break overhauls, heater malfunctions, etc., and it just failed the MA state inspection for emissions -- again! The 2000 Taurus must have been manufactured with the cheapest parts available. Yet, I must admit the the 22-valve, v-6 engine is powerful and well-build, and the front crash tests rated 5 stars. Unfortunately, at 130,000 miles, I should have sold the car years ago and cut my losses.

Super Taurus
By gormac on 02/07/09 21:40 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Great car, and extremely good for hauling stuff. I can not tell you how many antiques I have brought home in this car. Only complaints I have is the air and heat, neither works again and suspect the vacuum on the dividing door. $1000 in labor to remove the dash to fix, plus parts.

Car with most mileage I've ever owed!
By Gloria on 01/23/09 10:10 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I drove this car for 1 year as a company car before purchasing it. In a not so stable economy in 2006 I purchased this car with 147,000 miles. I have been literally amazed by the durability and performance. Other than routine oil changes and preventive maintanance I have spent very little. I drive long distance miles with the company I work for and I get 29 miles per gallon. That's better mileage than most new cars. I had always driven small cars before this purchase and always new. So this car has simply changed my mind about trends. It now has 201,000 miles on it and 9 years old. And so far, so good.

Only OK
By OK on 06/26/08 10:58 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I have a 2000 Taurus with 140,000 miles on it. Besides basic maintenace, there are things that I've had to get fixed. A lot of the sensors went bad an they had to be replaced. That cost about $200. The fans for the airconditioner went bad and had to be replaced. That was a about $600. Finally at 139,000 the transmission had to be rebuilt. That was $1600. This car is OK. I recommend not keeping it after 100,000 miles.

Awesome car!
By rudedog36 on 03/19/08 18:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car when it was a year old back in 2001, and I have to say it;'s been one of the best cars I've ever owned. I've only had two problems with the car. One was a starter, and the other a coil pack, both of wich i fixed myself. I plan on keeping this car until it dies.