2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
A Lemon!
By looking4adea1 on 01/20/15 07:32 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Ford Taurus about 3 years ago. My grandma had purchased it new and my sister had been driving it for about a year. I knew my grandma had taken good care of it and it had low mileage (under 60k). I am a student commuting to school so I did put a lot of miles on it. By now it has approximately 90k. I have poured thousands of dollars into it for repairs over the years. It constantly broke down. There was a consistent list of things that needed to be repaired. It was just a matter of what was priority. Now it just blew a head gasket and is basically done. It didn't even hit 100k miles. The car was a complete lemon!

Taurus Wagon: backup car/ recreational car
By twedt3304 on 05/04/13 20:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Ive had the car since 2002 and gets driven about once a month When I dont drive my 09 focus coupe. Its a great recreational car: I go camping in it: Just fold down the back seats flat and you have a perfect bed, with plenty of head room left for a 5' 7" guy and my kid. Another great thing is the fact is seats 8 comfortably. Overall very comfortable and great build quality, other than my son says it looks like a potato. I Highly recommend it if Your looking for a Family or recreational car.

2000 Taurus original owner
By lledbetter2266 on 02/09/13 21:33 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in April of 2000. Ford had a problem with a few bad fuel pumps that year, and a few bad brake light switches, each of which were fixed under warranty during the first six months that I owned it. Since then, this car has been bulletproof reliable, with no issues until the computer failed. I replaced that. Then, in 2011, vacuum lines rotted, required replacement. Now it runs perfect yet again. Struts are worn out now, and I will replace them myself. Front brake rotors also replaced. A/C is still ice cold after 13 years, and Trans works perfectly never been repaired. Car has 136,000 miles on it and runs perfectly with great mpg of about 28 on the hwy. A GREAT car!

Faithful Family Hauler
By popperoni2 on 06/07/12 15:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought my wagon used in 2002, with 18,000 miles on it. It now has over 163,000 miles and is my 24 y.o. son's daily driver. With routine maintenance, I've never had any major failures. Still has the original tranny. AC blows cold. I commuted 35 miles (each way) daily for 3 years with no problems. It survived three years of being a primary driver for 2 different high schoolers, and four years as a frat beer hauler. It's been loaded for multiple college move-ins and move-outs. Even hauled a trailer full of furniture from Mich. to D.C. Still looks good, inside and out. Just today, it completed a 120-mile trip without a hitch. It's a great car.

... a love/hate relationship
By johnwz on 04/26/12 07:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

It's tough to describe how I feel about this car. Got it used in 05 with about 140,000 miles on it and currently have close to 208,000 logged. The V6 is powerful but, of course, trades off fuel efficiency. Over the years I have noticed it has been losing coolant more than it should be, along with persistent cylinder misfires, always on cylinder 1 and the corresponding spark plug comes out looking worse than the others. I got a new cylinder head and spent a weekend putting that in. Maybe about 2000 miles since then the car runs better than ever and haven't noticed any more coolant leak. Somehow the transmission has remained solid throughout ownership.

Good
By clcoleman on 10/15/11 17:04 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 with 150,000 miles on it. When I bought it. It was a preferred car at the dealership. So it got mantenance, pretty often, Change oil every 3,000 miles, and routine expection every week! In 2011 I changed the spark plugs, plug wires, fuel pump. And resivor. (naturally for a 11 year old car). At 206,340 miles still runs strong.

Yes I Would Buy Another One
By philpill1 on 01/11/11 14:05 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car since 2002. During that time I replaced 2 coilpacks (DOHC engine), a DPFE sensor and replaced some vacum lines. I also own a 05 Dodge Dakota but on long trips we prefer to use the Taurus. The Dodge is good too but get gas mileage with the Taurus (28 mpg vs 19 for the Dodge).

Best new car I've owned
By Josh W. on 08/15/10 06:17 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I average 18K miles per year. Only replaced one vacuum hose, tires a few times, changed the oil on time and replaced the drivers side power mirror when a deer ran into me. Still on original shocks, plugs and A/C charge. Just this week the cigar lighter circuit shorted out so my GPS won't charge. Power door locks failed a few years back and the cruise control will not "resume" any longer. Brake light in rear window is too large, corrected in newer models. At ten years old with over 180K miles...no complaints from this owner.

Not Such A Bad Ride
By Fordowner on 06/17/10 11:47 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

To tell you the truth I bought this vehicle without even looking at it. But since then I have only had to repair the regular things sensors brakes windshield wipers all cosmetic stuff. I love the get up it has. Awesome acceleration and plus she sounds awesome. I love all the room and the sound system. plus this car is over 10 years old and she still cleans up very very nice. It has over 137K on it but drives like new if you ask me! Great Purchase awesome investment fun to Drive. And I work for Chevy. We should make cars like this all day long!

Much better than earlier models
By stealthfd on 06/12/10 09:57 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

We have over 100k on this wagon. Great suburban hauler,good for shopping and 2x80 lbs dogs. mileage is ok. brakes are poor, do an upgrade (baer or sho); rear springs too soft, esp. for a wagon. shocks/struts upgraded for better handling. minor front end work. no engine/trans. problems (vs. prior models) cheaper than European wagons. not many aftermarket goods. some torque steer. decent acceleration. tapered rear entry limits many big items that would have fit if square opening. front coil replaced at 30k but broke at 70k, puncture tire on freeway curve; almost hit the wall!