1999 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews 8

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
"Taurus" Can't get much worse
By shootingstar on 11/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My '99 Taurus started it's life as a half way decent car, but at about 6 months into ownership it was one problem after another. It might not be "Fix or Repaired Daily", but it has been averaging repairs about every other month. No other car I have owned in the last 20 years, domestic or foreign, has been as unreliable as this clunker. If you buy one, be prepared to have the breaks replaced about 3 times or more a year, along with some other expensive surprises. JUNK!!!

Ford Can't Build Consistency
By Beware of Ford on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car was well-maintained by the first owner, whom I knew. I bought it with 53K and, 3K later, the transmission went. That's a 1000 dollars for a used transmission with a 3-month guarantee! Ford Consumer Affairs took my information and said someone would review it. Uh-huh. A local Ford service writer said that the most he'd seen Ford give customers towards out-of-warranty repairs was $500, but you had to have the work done at a dealership, which would cost $2600! Yikes! Do not buy this car, it is too risky, and Ford does not stand behind their product. P.S. All the mechanics and transmission shops I went to or called said the same thin

Not Again!!!
By All wrong on 10/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is my second Taurus. The first had trans problems (1990). I decided to give it a try again. I purchased it slightly used with a warranty. It was loaded and a great size for my family. There was a trans problem with the car (55000 miles on it). The dealer fixed it before I took it home. Since that time this car had a lot of problems. Serpentin belt cracked, needed new hoses & plugs, brought it back 4 times for the transmission, and then this weekend I opened the trunk and found 3 inches of water in the spare tire well. The whole trunk was wet. It had (66000 miles on it). It also needed more maintenance.

Great car
By BBrian on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 20,000 miles and about 1 year old. The car has been very reliable-no problems other than routine maintenance. Good riding car, nice power and handling. Very comfortable interior. I would buy this car again.

Great car for the long run
By WGM on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We bought ours with 26,000 and have been most pleased. The only req'd work has been maintenance items. The only minor complaint is a squeak in the power steering but only in the summer (hey, you would squeak too in Texas heat!). I have read some of the other reviews and consider myself blessed to have found a good one that we intend to keep a LOT longer. Sure there are minor things to keep up with but nothing makes me want to trade it at this point. Would recommend anyone looking for a value in used cars to look at a Taurus - great size, features, and reliability at a reasonable price.

Fun to drive car
By JonathanV on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

So far an excellent car. I have put about 4,000 miles on the car since I bought it, and it has performed flawlessly. It had 82,000 miles when purchased. I am a senior in college, so having a reliable car is important to me, considering I go to school 600 miles from home. The wipers seem to come on by themselves occasionally, but so far that is the only problem. The engine and transmission seem to be doing fine, and are much smoother/quieter than some of the 'professoinal' critics would have you believe. Nearly imperceptible upshifts/downshifts. Does not use or leak even a drop of oil, a first for any American car I've ever owned. A/C works perfectly.

O.K. JOSE
By BIG T. on 07/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

BOUGHT NEW IN 99.GOOD PERFORMANCE 24V. V6-THE ONLY WAS WINDSHIELD WIPERS WOULD COME ON AUTOMATICLY PERIODICALLY. COVERER UNDER 3YR 36000MI WARR.A GOOD BUY SO FAR,BUT THEN ONLY 29000 PUT ON CAR SINCE NEW. STILL A BABY.

Another Ford...
By 99LX62K on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

It is a good car but there are several design flaws. Like many I have seen, the door ajar light is always lit. The brakes leave a lot to be desired. The seats are very comfortable and it really is a nice riding car. Handling isn't as good as the import sedans but the suspension is definately better. I would lease this car but I would never buy a new one. The resale value on this car drops so much that it will cost you $3K a year to drive it. This 99 was purchased new for $16K and it is now worth $5K.

I like my Taurus!
By goldenbeauty on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I was apprehensive about buying an American made car but the Taurus has performed beautifully and there has not been any problems with it, even considering the fact that I bought it used-a 1999 in 2003. A very comfortable car and a smooth ride. I would highly recommend, with any used car, to buy a warranty. I did just in case and so far haven't had to use it. I'd rather be safe than sorry. This is a good car with a lot of features with out the insanely high price tag. Feel good about buying this car.

slytaurus
By sly on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

transmission terrible, bad on gas. very popular car for the price