Used 1999 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

You better be ready for this...
By Steve The Bluesman

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought used 3 1/2 years ago with 68k. Had to repair brakes twice, coolant reservoir, heater core, wheel bearings...but the car has never stranded anyone. Know going in that this car has a lot of design defects that you need to be aware of. Brakes, transmission, coolant system (including heater), are all going to fail. I do like the car though. Comfortable and safe, and it has turned me into a mechanic.

Power seat, decent sound system, old school American ride.

This car is gone, so the suggestion is to Ford to smarten up. Build a low priced, good looking car that performs well and is reliable. Why is that so hard?

Decent, When Its Running...
By gmercedesbenz

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

2nd owner of the car, bought off of a family member. She's got 186,000 on her, but it's one thing after another. First, the rack on the steering went. OK, then I blew a coolant line, which Ford says, requires me to replace ALL the coolant lines in the system. Definably going either Honda or Toyota. This is my 2nd car, and being a high school student, I can't afford the repairs. Would be a great car, if it wasn't for the mileage.

Roomy! Very smooth ride on the freeway, even at speed.

Better materials. Period. It's that simple, just build the car to last longer.

good car
By kellie

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My first car was a 90 Taurus and I beat that poor car to death. I was in a very bad accident in the Jeep that I owned before purchasing my current Taurus, so I wanted a car that was safe. I love the handling, the get up and go, and the car is incredibly comfy. However, the brakes are AWFUL, I have already had to replace them 2 times. Also, my car started chirping very loud, like a bird when it was cold (right after purchase). I was very upset thinking the guy sold me a ticking time bomb, but my Dad changed my transmission fluid on a whim and it has been quiet ever since. The previous owner used the wrong fluid. Overall I am very happy with my car. I got a very good deal on it.

Comfy, great heat and a/c, roomy, get up and go. I think it's a great deal if the previous owner took care of it.

The brakes are garbage. I think the radio/ heat and a/c controls were not designed well.

70K miles, no problems
By Golfnut

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this new w/ incredible discounts, $8,000 off and 0.0% financing, no Japanese car can compare with that. The interior space is great, I'm 5'11", 270lbs and I have no problems getting in or out. I can not get into hardly any Japanese vehicle. I have not had to make any repairs on this vehicle and saved over $10,000 compared to comparable Japanese cars. I love my Taurus and will be giving it to my 16 year old son to drive because I know it is dependable.

No mechanical problems after 70,000 miles, Leather interior, ABS brakes, stereo, tires, interior space, truck space, folding rear seats.

CD changer in the rear trunk is stupid, more powerful engine.

1999 Taurus SE
By katie

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

The Taurus is a surprisingly good driving car. The ride is very comfortable and the handling is better than I expected. The A/C is excellent. The controls are logical and easy to use. I bought the car with 115m on it and expect over 200m with frequent oil changes and other scheduled maintenance. The car has been outstanding so far.

Good A/C, ride quality, decent stereo.

None.