1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
this car sucks
By kirgo on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

when I get this car, it seems to be a good deal... what a mistake, transmission really bad, and nobody can say what is wrong, and the brakes, I have to change rotors every six months, definitly never gonna buy a Ford again.

review
By jessicam16 on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

It's a great car to drive

1999 Ford Taurus SE sedan
By eepisski on 12/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car brand new in 1/2000. Have not had no problems with the engine or transmission like I had with my GM vehicles. Only problems I had were the wheel bearing cracked at 50000 miles nd had to be replaced. Had to replace the engine emission sensors twice. Recently, the brake light came on and stayed on even though the brakes worked fine. Had to get the brake pads and rotors replaced and now no more brake service light. This car gets good mileage and can't complain about the engine always starts in our cold MI winters.

ford owner
By hootin on 12/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

very nice car for trips or just around town. 33 mile to the gallon on trips 25 just driving around town. love this car, I would buy another ford wagon.

The good and the bad
By geomore on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

The 200 HP engine has excellent power and gas mileage that is quite good. The transmission down shifts are rough and indecisive. The wagon is a very handy vehicle which I'd rather have than an SUV. At 52,000 miles I haven't had any problems but I am concerned about the durability of the transmission.

Excellent
By Drusus on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Got the car from my father with over 100,000mi on it, and has been a great performer. Had only one problem, a bad rack-and-pinion. Other than that, great all-around car, with a surprisingly good-sounding stock speaker system.

Worst Car I EVER OWNED!!!
By Better Not Buy on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Only 67,000 miles and know a broken head gasket, freze plug corroded, broken hood release, squeeking steering column (sounds like a bulldozer) If you see a FORD-RUN. FOUND ON ROAD DEAD!!!

"Taurus" Can't get much worse
By shootingstar on 11/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

My '99 Taurus started it's life as a half way decent car, but at about 6 months into ownership it was one problem after another. It might not be "Fix or Repaired Daily", but it has been averaging repairs about every other month. No other car I have owned in the last 20 years, domestic or foreign, has been as unreliable as this clunker. If you buy one, be prepared to have the breaks replaced about 3 times or more a year, along with some other expensive surprises. JUNK!!!

Great Car, Great Depreciation!
By HardinMan on 11/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new 4 years ago and it currently has 80,600 miles on the odometer. The car has been exceptional! With the DOHC engine, it really moves when you want it to. The lumbar seat with leather are so comfortable on trips.Gas mileage is acceptable at 28- 30 mpg. Only repairs we needed were to have newbrake pads. The big drawback is that the depreciation is extreme.

Ford Can't Build Consistency
By Beware of Ford on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This car was well-maintained by the first owner, whom I knew. I bought it with 53K and, 3K later, the transmission went. That's a 1000 dollars for a used transmission with a 3-month guarantee! Ford Consumer Affairs took my information and said someone would review it. Uh-huh. A local Ford service writer said that the most he'd seen Ford give customers towards out-of-warranty repairs was $500, but you had to have the work done at a dealership, which would cost $2600! Yikes! Do not buy this car, it is too risky, and Ford does not stand behind their product. P.S. All the mechanics and transmission shops I went to or called said the same thin