1999 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Good car, Bad Transmission
By AmyLewis22 on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Every Taurus I've ever owned, the transmission drops before 100,000 miles. I had a 91 and the trans dropped at 98,000. Now my 99 trnas dropped at 70,000. I've heard rumors that the Taurus is known for having bad trans by mechanics. But I love evrything eles about. No other problems.

Terrific Taurus
By KellyT on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car, and am completely in love with it. It has 75K on it, and the only fixing I had to do was when I got into a fender bender( it held up great)

Shifty at best
By wunderkid49 on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

By the time the car was five years old with 63k miles, I had had the transmission rebuilt, did the brakes twice myself, replaced several suspension components trying to fix dangerous at the limit handling characteristics, installed several new electrical items including power window motors and power seat switches, and several mechanics were chasing a check engine problem. All this and 22 mpg. So, I traded it this weekend for a '02 Subaru. It handles, shifts, and stops like a car should. No more Fords for me.

this car sucks
By kirgo on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

when I get this car, it seems to be a good deal... what a mistake, transmission really bad, and nobody can say what is wrong, and the brakes, I have to change rotors every six months, definitly never gonna buy a Ford again.

review
By jessicam16 on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

It's a great car to drive

1999 Ford Taurus SE sedan
By eepisski on 12/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car brand new in 1/2000. Have not had no problems with the engine or transmission like I had with my GM vehicles. Only problems I had were the wheel bearing cracked at 50000 miles nd had to be replaced. Had to replace the engine emission sensors twice. Recently, the brake light came on and stayed on even though the brakes worked fine. Had to get the brake pads and rotors replaced and now no more brake service light. This car gets good mileage and can't complain about the engine always starts in our cold MI winters.

ford owner
By hootin on 12/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

very nice car for trips or just around town. 33 mile to the gallon on trips 25 just driving around town. love this car, I would buy another ford wagon.

Excellent
By Drusus on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Got the car from my father with over 100,000mi on it, and has been a great performer. Had only one problem, a bad rack-and-pinion. Other than that, great all-around car, with a surprisingly good-sounding stock speaker system.

Worst Car I EVER OWNED!!!
By Better Not Buy on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Only 67,000 miles and know a broken head gasket, freze plug corroded, broken hood release, squeeking steering column (sounds like a bulldozer) If you see a FORD-RUN. FOUND ON ROAD DEAD!!!

"Taurus" Can't get much worse
By shootingstar on 11/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My '99 Taurus started it's life as a half way decent car, but at about 6 months into ownership it was one problem after another. It might not be "Fix or Repaired Daily", but it has been averaging repairs about every other month. No other car I have owned in the last 20 years, domestic or foreign, has been as unreliable as this clunker. If you buy one, be prepared to have the breaks replaced about 3 times or more a year, along with some other expensive surprises. JUNK!!!