Used 1999 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Not a car to wear the Taurus badge
By ChampionDriver01

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Had an 86 Taurus. 335K and no problems, decided to make that one a tuner. So I bought a 99. Only kept for two years, 13K. Gas mileage was 9/11, city/hiway, IF LUCKY. Bought an 01 and has performed almost flawlessly. Manifold gasket at 4K. Oh dear.

Comfort, air conditioning, interior control panel.

Exterior look (improved vastly on 00), reliability, resale (4K at 13K, 2YRS), trunk, CD changer in cabin. It shouldn't be in the trunk, and DON't put it in the console on 5-seat versions, tis WORTHLESS! Takes up half the console! LOL

Crappy Taurus
By Kevin

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Well, the only reason that I am driving this stupid jellybean is because it was free. My mom bought it and handed it down to me. I've been driving it for a little over a year, and I dont like it. Its somewhat reliable, but my power locks stopped functioning after 2 months. The stock rims are crappy, they are all corroded and gross. Also, it is a jellybean. There is not one corner on that car, everything is round and stupid looking. Its very comfortable though. Gas mileage isn't great but its not the worst I've seen. Lately the engine has been revving itself so thats not good. Check engine light never goes off because Ford designed a crappy gas cap.

Uhhh.... its comfortable, the engine sounds cool when you floor it, somewhat reliable considering its got 105000 and counting on it.

I wish my power locks worked, and my engine didnt rev itself, and it wasn't more round than an egg. I wish I could turn off the daytime headlights, I wish the gearshift wasn't on the side of the streering wheel cause thats real dumb. I wish I has a mitsubishi eclipse spyder instead :)

I've got a good one!
By HeartlandJason

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 27000 miles on it and now have 123,000 on it. I have only put $450 into it for a serpentine belt and tie rods. It has been very reliable and trouble free. My best mileage has been 33 mpg. This car is a great value for your money!

DOHC engine, CD changer

None

It could be better, what is up with Ford
By Toni

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

It was an OK car. No major repairs, but I guess I was lucky. I have another Taurus that was a lemon. I will never buy Taurus or Ford again. I hoped Ford could improve it rather than make it less reliable.

It is a very comfortable car.

Better transmission. Radiator, rack and pinion went bad.

Sad News
By sad news

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Well I am at 188,888 which is a lot, but I expected more from my Taurus. I have to date replaced rack and pionion steering and the alternator. Now the transmission is going as well as the strut mounts and the frontend. The car has been a disappoinment. My next car will not ne a domestic as my husband has a 1991 4runner with 288,000 on it and it's going strong. Ford lost my business.

6th seat option and roominess

Major strutural and engine work