1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Good Car for the Price
By dhermesc on 02/14/05 11:57 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

We bought a '99 LX used in 2001 with 17,000 miles, paid $9,500. Pretty base model, no power locks, no power seat, steel wheels, base V6. It does have the AX4N transmission, the same one that goes in the Duratech powered cars, should last longer then the car - much better then the AX4S that normally goes in the Vulcan powered cars. Driven the car 66,000 miles with two repairs; the wiper washer pump and an exhaust sensor - total about $150. New rotors on the front at 60K, trannie flush at 40K. Paint looks good, interior is in good shape too even with two kids tearing it up. A good rock solid car for the money; bought my mom one just like it a month later for even less.

Okay - middle of the road car
By mrs. ryca2 on 02/08/05 16:00 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I had a '93 Taurus first, great family car, only needed water pump. My '99 Taurus is falling apart around me: electrical problems,sensor lights, a/c died and temperature only blows very hot, front end problems (ball joints), antenna stuck up. One saving grace, the 24 valve Duratec engine is a workhorse, still has great pick-up at over 100k. I am looking at the new Freestyle but won't touch it unless Ford puts this engine into it.

Bye Bye Ford
By Former Ford Fan on 01/11/05 13:46 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Horrible experience from beginning to end. When we bought it, it was the nicest car we'd ever owned. Absolutely babied it. Spedometer quit at 24,000 miles; alternator at 40,000; steering at 80,000; EGR Valve at 85,000; thermostat at 90,000; EGR sensor at 90,000 and door ajar sensors are now acting up at 98,000. Selling ASAP. I will never buy a Fix Or Repair Daily again! (I was really proud of this vehicle & it is a total disappointment. 6 major repairs for a vehicle less than 100,000 miles is unforgivable, especially when it has been well maintained and garaged.

WORST CAR YET!
By Huey on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought a 99 taurus back in 2000. One year later ( just barely out of warranty) the brakes had to be replaced, the 2 front rotors had to be replaced, and the electrical features (keyless entry, power locks, windshield wipers) would short out & not work. (this is at only 40,000 miles) Now, when the cars barely four years old, the heater core had to be replaced, the engine coolant resivor cracked, the thermostat was replaced, the transmission needs replaced , the brakes still have issues , & more electrical problems than ever! Its absolutely terriable on gas, its not built as economically as its rivals, we just bought a brand new ford expedition, & it gets better mileage than the taurus

will run this car into the ground....
By mdlee on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 99 Taurus new w/ the 24 valve DOHC engine package. It has been extremely reliable and a solid car to drive. My driving mix is 60% interstate / 40% local. The only major repair item in 5+ years were full struts at 60k which with new tires makes it run and handle like a new car. Everything else still original - even brakes! I forget this car is 5 yrs old, it is tight, quiet and a good runner. My complaints: the a/c fan softly "squeaks", this also happened on our 95 Windstar (which was not nearly as reliable at 5 yrs out), & the driver seat is low so I use a cushion. This was the last year for the "old" design (which I like even more now than I did then) and for me it was a winner.

Good car
By yesyadda on 08/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

140k miles and going great. Very few problems over the years. Still runs like new. Good, dependable, reliable.

ppppeeeerrrrrffffeeeecccccttttttt
By jmo on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Well at first I was somewhat hesitant to purchase this vehicle.But as a few people have said that the ride and the comfort was much nicer then I had expected. I just like to say that it is one smart buy. And I spent half the money I was expecting to spend.The Audio system is a little poor, but that is a quick fix. Other then that it has been a great car for camping, going to the beach as well just cruising.

Good car, Bad Transmission
By AmyLewis22 on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Every Taurus I've ever owned, the transmission drops before 100,000 miles. I had a 91 and the trans dropped at 98,000. Now my 99 trnas dropped at 70,000. I've heard rumors that the Taurus is known for having bad trans by mechanics. But I love evrything eles about. No other problems.

Terrific Taurus
By KellyT on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car, and am completely in love with it. It has 75K on it, and the only fixing I had to do was when I got into a fender bender( it held up great)

Shifty at best
By wunderkid49 on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

By the time the car was five years old with 63k miles, I had had the transmission rebuilt, did the brakes twice myself, replaced several suspension components trying to fix dangerous at the limit handling characteristics, installed several new electrical items including power window motors and power seat switches, and several mechanics were chasing a check engine problem. All this and 22 mpg. So, I traded it this weekend for a '02 Subaru. It handles, shifts, and stops like a car should. No more Fords for me.