Used 1999 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Weak Transmissions
By Dan

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I adopted the car from my mom which she bought it brand new. She always had it serviced by Ford for everything. The design of the front rotors are under spec for the car. Ford should have used bigger rotors. The rotors would warp very easy and would have to be turned or replaced. This is with factory rotors and good after market ones. The transmissions are known for problems with these cars. The trans oil pump failed when the pin broke and the differential had to be replaced. This is Ford short cutting the transmissions. Like I said, this is a known problem. The 3.0 Duratec motors are pretty strong, but a real pain to get to the back plugs, you have to remove the intake to get access.

Love the room in the interior and the trunk. Duratec engine has plenty of power.

Gas mileage, transmissions, front brakes. Headlight design could have been better for brighter lights.

Mechanics dream
By Rick

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

What an absolute nightmare. The repair costs have exceeded the price i paid for this pile of crap. I have had to replace the hub and bearings THREE times, had to fix air conditioning and now the heater core is not working due to a leak. Oil pan, of all things, rusted out and was replaced. Water pump was replaced. Engine gaskets replaced. Transmission was replaced at 150km's. The only thing that works all the time is the check engine light. The wipers are work well, however they turn on randomly, making me look like a fool on clear and sunny days. I am currently shopping for a new vehicle, but i will NEVER purchase a FORD again. I'd rather buy a horse or a bus pass.

The wipers are great for a laugh. Check engine light performs flawlessly.

Should be equiped with a self-destruct button.

Knocking on Wood
By Caira

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car a week ago, and I hope this car is very reliable for me. So far my mechanic checked it out and said it is a good car for only $2,400 with 91K miles on it. So far it rides good, I like the sound of it when you floor it has a nice little roar to the engine. I get 20 mph in the city I havent took it on a long trip yet, so this weekend I'll see how the mph is on the highway.

Very roomy, and big trunk, nice rev sound when flooring it, feel safe.

I think the gas could be better, and a CD player should have been standard so far hopefully that's all I have to complain about.

Not a car to wear the Taurus badge
By ChampionDriver01

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Had an 86 Taurus. 335K and no problems, decided to make that one a tuner. So I bought a 99. Only kept for two years, 13K. Gas mileage was 9/11, city/hiway, IF LUCKY. Bought an 01 and has performed almost flawlessly. Manifold gasket at 4K. Oh dear.

Comfort, air conditioning, interior control panel.

Exterior look (improved vastly on 00), reliability, resale (4K at 13K, 2YRS), trunk, CD changer in cabin. It shouldn't be in the trunk, and DON't put it in the console on 5-seat versions, tis WORTHLESS! Takes up half the console! LOL

Crappy Taurus
By Kevin

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Well, the only reason that I am driving this stupid jellybean is because it was free. My mom bought it and handed it down to me. I've been driving it for a little over a year, and I dont like it. Its somewhat reliable, but my power locks stopped functioning after 2 months. The stock rims are crappy, they are all corroded and gross. Also, it is a jellybean. There is not one corner on that car, everything is round and stupid looking. Its very comfortable though. Gas mileage isn't great but its not the worst I've seen. Lately the engine has been revving itself so thats not good. Check engine light never goes off because Ford designed a crappy gas cap.

Uhhh.... its comfortable, the engine sounds cool when you floor it, somewhat reliable considering its got 105000 and counting on it.

I wish my power locks worked, and my engine didnt rev itself, and it wasn't more round than an egg. I wish I could turn off the daytime headlights, I wish the gearshift wasn't on the side of the streering wheel cause thats real dumb. I wish I has a mitsubishi eclipse spyder instead :)