1999 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Beware: Head Gasket
By lemonowner on 07/16/05 14:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is cool looking and comfortable. It is also a LEMON. It has had a blown head gasket twice in 6 months, with about 30k mile on the car. BEWARE! It is NOT yet part of any recall due to this problem.

Great Car
By Jason on 06/01/05 22:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

First car and have had it for 6 months and its been great. Was just rear ended the other day at about 25-30 mph and the Taurus held up fantastic. The car that hit me was a Corolla and it was totaled but my car only has bumper damage. Has lots of room for passengers. I've driven about 5,000 miles so far and it's at 75k and no problems with the car yet. It's pretty good with gas but could be better.

Too many repairs, too soon
By No More Fords on 04/10/05 22:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Beautiful with alloy wheels and very comfortable. However, the air wasn't working when I bought it at 53,000 miles, but forgot to check it until after sale. Then it needed a new transmission at 56K, but received a used one for $1200 since new was almost $3000. Then oil leaks, coolant leaks, and at 70K the heat stopped working. Squeaks and rattles here and there. I called Ford three times about the transmission, asking for help, and each time they said engineering would get back to me. Can you guess if they did? Not. If this vehicle had had a 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty, the transmission would've been covered, but the warranty was 3/36. Plus, the resale is horrendous. Avoid.

Soid and Reliable
By Ken on 03/23/05 07:22 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car has served us well for almost 6 years. It feels solid and substantial, and the price was right when we bought it new. I would definitely do it all over again!

Buy it again
By Raymond Allen on 03/10/05 14:31 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my parents 4 years ago. I have put over 80,000 miles on it without anything more than normal maintenance. The only problem I've had with the car is the brakes. The rotors warp after 8,000 to 10,000 miles, faster if driving in mountainous regions.

Good Car for the Price
By dhermesc on 02/14/05 11:57 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We bought a '99 LX used in 2001 with 17,000 miles, paid $9,500. Pretty base model, no power locks, no power seat, steel wheels, base V6. It does have the AX4N transmission, the same one that goes in the Duratech powered cars, should last longer then the car - much better then the AX4S that normally goes in the Vulcan powered cars. Driven the car 66,000 miles with two repairs; the wiper washer pump and an exhaust sensor - total about $150. New rotors on the front at 60K, trannie flush at 40K. Paint looks good, interior is in good shape too even with two kids tearing it up. A good rock solid car for the money; bought my mom one just like it a month later for even less.

Bye Bye Ford
By Former Ford Fan on 01/11/05 13:46 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Horrible experience from beginning to end. When we bought it, it was the nicest car we'd ever owned. Absolutely babied it. Spedometer quit at 24,000 miles; alternator at 40,000; steering at 80,000; EGR Valve at 85,000; thermostat at 90,000; EGR sensor at 90,000 and door ajar sensors are now acting up at 98,000. Selling ASAP. I will never buy a Fix Or Repair Daily again! (I was really proud of this vehicle & it is a total disappointment. 6 major repairs for a vehicle less than 100,000 miles is unforgivable, especially when it has been well maintained and garaged.

WORST CAR YET!
By Huey on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought a 99 taurus back in 2000. One year later ( just barely out of warranty) the brakes had to be replaced, the 2 front rotors had to be replaced, and the electrical features (keyless entry, power locks, windshield wipers) would short out & not work. (this is at only 40,000 miles) Now, when the cars barely four years old, the heater core had to be replaced, the engine coolant resivor cracked, the thermostat was replaced, the transmission needs replaced , the brakes still have issues , & more electrical problems than ever! Its absolutely terriable on gas, its not built as economically as its rivals, we just bought a brand new ford expedition, & it gets better mileage than the taurus

will run this car into the ground....
By mdlee on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 99 Taurus new w/ the 24 valve DOHC engine package. It has been extremely reliable and a solid car to drive. My driving mix is 60% interstate / 40% local. The only major repair item in 5+ years were full struts at 60k which with new tires makes it run and handle like a new car. Everything else still original - even brakes! I forget this car is 5 yrs old, it is tight, quiet and a good runner. My complaints: the a/c fan softly "squeaks", this also happened on our 95 Windstar (which was not nearly as reliable at 5 yrs out), & the driver seat is low so I use a cushion. This was the last year for the "old" design (which I like even more now than I did then) and for me it was a winner.

Good car
By yesyadda on 08/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

140k miles and going great. Very few problems over the years. Still runs like new. Good, dependable, reliable.