1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Detroit must do better
By Withheld on 10/26/05 16:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Bought after light use as an executive rental car. At 37,000 miles, power steering on front-drive car required complete replacement at great expense. Electrical system problematic (wipers turn on without human intervention). Full 60,000 mile maintenance done by dealer. Within one week, battery dead; car wouldn't start when hot. Finally died completely. Alternator/generator replacement. Auto transmission shifts taking longer and longer. Transmission locked into third on steep hill, engine lugged up hill, check engine light on, diagnosis: two cylinders blown, substantial repair required. Car being sold as-is, at substantial discount from nominal value, with 71,000 miles. Ford unresponsive.

Not an ordinary "family car"
By ilovemytaurus on 10/20/05 22:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and at first I was hesitant about getting a family car considering I am 16. I have had this car for a year now and I love it. I would never trade this for a some tuner. The 24 valve 3.0 duel overhead cam engine is amazing. I love my car.

good family car
By gatorgirl on 09/20/05 06:59 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Has been a very reliable car, easy accessibility to the rear seat (2 carseats). I think it's a fun car to drive and one of the first cars that I haven't had any problems with the a/c. I also love the exterior design.

'99 Taurus - the Best, the Beast!
By Moonman on 07/27/05 23:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I got a great deal on this new '99 in Jan. 2000. It has the 24v engine & the standard SE package. I drive it 900 miles to Fla. & 900 back twice a year with only an oil change before the trip. To work and church are both 4.5 mi. so it does get up to operating temperature most times it's driven. The only thing that has broken is the accelerator cable (June '05) and it took forever to get the part as it seems none have ever broken before & none could be found locally. I love driving this car! It accelerates VERY well, and surprises a lot of "tuner" cars off the line. It gives great mileage on the interstate, but, with my heavy foot I use a lot of fuel. So I'm careful. Still 100% stock. Love it!

Beware: Head Gasket
By lemonowner on 07/16/05 14:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This car is cool looking and comfortable. It is also a LEMON. It has had a blown head gasket twice in 6 months, with about 30k mile on the car. BEWARE! It is NOT yet part of any recall due to this problem.

Great Car
By Jason on 06/01/05 22:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

First car and have had it for 6 months and its been great. Was just rear ended the other day at about 25-30 mph and the Taurus held up fantastic. The car that hit me was a Corolla and it was totaled but my car only has bumper damage. Has lots of room for passengers. I've driven about 5,000 miles so far and it's at 75k and no problems with the car yet. It's pretty good with gas but could be better.

Too many repairs, too soon
By No More Fords on 04/10/05 22:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Beautiful with alloy wheels and very comfortable. However, the air wasn't working when I bought it at 53,000 miles, but forgot to check it until after sale. Then it needed a new transmission at 56K, but received a used one for $1200 since new was almost $3000. Then oil leaks, coolant leaks, and at 70K the heat stopped working. Squeaks and rattles here and there. I called Ford three times about the transmission, asking for help, and each time they said engineering would get back to me. Can you guess if they did? Not. If this vehicle had had a 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty, the transmission would've been covered, but the warranty was 3/36. Plus, the resale is horrendous. Avoid.

OK Car for the Money
By emf on 03/23/05 10:30 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

It is an okay car for the money we spent. We have had some repairs at 72,000. The biggest thing, and something we would have liked to know before we purchased the car, is that the Taurus has problems with the heater core and the heater going out. We're working on the second time of backflushing the heater core in order to avoid having to replace it. It is very expensive (and cold)! It is a comfortable, powerful, and roomy car - good for road trips, camping, and trips to the hardware store. A very nice back seat - for people and our large dog. I would recommend buying one, just know that there are some flaws associated with the Taurus Wagon.

Soid and Reliable
By Ken on 03/23/05 07:22 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This car has served us well for almost 6 years. It feels solid and substantial, and the price was right when we bought it new. I would definitely do it all over again!

Buy it again
By Raymond Allen on 03/10/05 14:31 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my parents 4 years ago. I have put over 80,000 miles on it without anything more than normal maintenance. The only problem I've had with the car is the brakes. The rotors warp after 8,000 to 10,000 miles, faster if driving in mountainous regions.