Used 1999 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

This car is Terrible
By Gnouk101

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since 2007 and it has about 135,000 miles on it. I must say this is by far the worst car ever. The transmission is terrible and jolts all the time, especially in traffic. Gas is terrible compared to my old Avalon. gets around 16-17 in the city and 23-26 highway. As a college student I can't afford to fill this thing up all the time. I can continue to go on and on with the problems of this car. Never buy one ever.

Car is trash

Everything. Especially the transmission and gas mileage

No other
By No other

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchase this car new. I have over 233,000 miles on it and still runs like new. Nothing has gone wrong with it. Just replace tires, and brakes. She look great up to 12/15/2008 when a lady nearly hit the car head on. Sadly the insurance is going to write this off even though she still drives great. Full power everything inside. I love this car. Sad nobody is going to see her worth to me. I believe it will go to 400K. Next time you think of Ford tough it don't have to be a truck.

Six CD in trunk, styling, power lumbar seat

Realiability at its best
By derson

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased car for $1500. Needed car for personal/work. I use car on occasion for mail delivery. Roomy enough for trays in driver's seat, and comfortable enough to right-hand drive without hyper-extending the legs/arms. Gas mileage is excellent - 26mpg personal (I have over 141k), and 15-17mpg for work (I drive 72 miles and have over 300 starts/stops.) I recently replaced rack/tie rods/ball joints, but it was not Ford's fault. I curbed the tires when delivering mail. Great in snow. Have never been stuck - even in 10 inches of snow! Use Havoline oil & Seafoam - increased mileage 3-4mpg. My carrier just replaced his Taurus for new one. Wouldn't replace if wasn't reliable!

Everything. I especially like the safety ratings on this vehicle. Rides like a full-size car - very smooth.

As other commentors have suggested, bring back this style of Taurus. I have owned two Taurus', and have not been disappointed.

Good Car
By desoto44

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased in early 2000 with 19,000 miles on it. Now has 202,000 and uses no oil between changes. Other than regular servicing, no major repairs. Great mileage at 25 MPG city/highway. The heater only runs lukewarm since about 150,000 miles and the AC just quit at about 195,000. Both are major repair items which I am not fixing at this stage of the car's life. Overall has been an excellent car and would buy another low mileage 99 if I could find one.

Great mileage. Sporty appearance for a sedan. Very dependable.

Drivers seat could be better cushioned and more comfortable.

Steer Clear
By Tom

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this in 2000 with about 24,000 miles. Sporty, with 24V V-6, alloy wheels, spoiler. This car has been plagued with electrical problems including wipers that periodically turn on by themselves, power locks don't work, power window doesn't work. It started using oil at about 50k miles despite changing it every 3- 4k miles and no hard driving. Gas mileage is poor for a mid-sized V6 (worse than our V6 Camry and V6 minivan). The rack & pinion steering had to be replaced at about 40k miles. Has the upgraded stereo with CD changer which sounds excellent. Overall the car looks nice and is fun to drive, but the reliability is poor. I am buying Japanese from now on.

Stereo is excellent, the engine is fairly powerful, overall car looks good with alloy wheels and spoiler.

Improve quality overall, especially electrical.