Used 1999 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Problem after problem
By sadday

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car less than a year ago from a dealership, have had nothing but problems for the last six months. Needed a new fuel pump, engine revs itself, overheats frequently, faulty hoses and wiring, doesn't start sometimes for no reason. I was really excited when I first got the car and have been frustrated ever since.

um, it's comfortable?

Not having everything in the car break at only 110K miles.

Irritated with Ford Motor Co!!!
By Rachel

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My dad gave me the car 2 years ago. I have loved it up until recently.It's been a well maintained car while both of us have had it, more recently, really stupid things have been going wrong with it, like the heater hose, but guess what they don't make those heater hoses any more...by the way the are a molded maze of nightmares,the master cylinder was just replaced with the brake booster too, and the cam shaft position sensor went bad, don't go by the diagram to replace it, you will never find it. The starter is out on it now, due to an oil leak and I had to replace a battery, for the second time, 90 bux they are for that car. i liked the car, until ford stopped makin parts for it!

It's a comfortable car to drive and everything has been reliable in it until more recently...I have gotten great gas mileage from her...35 on highway and about 15 -18 around town, which really I think is pretty good. I will hate to see this car go! It handles well too.

Well, I am no mechanic, but the hosing system stinks! The starter, not in a great spot its under the engine....and does it really need a cam shaft position sensor? Also, what's with the dummy distributor? I think ford calls it an emissions pack...something like that...things were a mess that year!

T miss her..
By fomocobro

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My mom purchased car new in 99 because I recommended it, Nascar, and it's 5 star crash test rating. LOVED IT. Great Performance & Style, what made it was the opt. DOHC 24V & spoiler makes the car look 100% better (esp. in black). I inherited it in 06 w/ 47k mi. after it sat neglected in Fl for over a year, got it running & drove it back to home to it's origin in PA w/ no problems. Fixed it up and did some mods 2 up performance & looks, man did it make a difference. Engine purred even when stock, growled w/ aftermarket exhaust. I LOVED this car & made it into something beautiful, sold it @ 73k mi. because was time 2 move on to something that fit me better..Cobra. Farewell T..

24V DOHC Duratec, did i mention being able 2 burn out in a FWD family sedan? engine- in the new tarus's today & bored out to make 260hp! moonroof, spoiler, SHO chrome rims, space, exhaust, comfort esp. seats on long trips

TRANSMISSION. would be a much better car if it had a half decent tranny, sold mine before the inevitable.. Electronics, Power steering hose.

Bad Investment
By Andrew

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used from a dealership. I twisted their arm into giving me a 1K warranty and immediately I brought it in for repair. They said everything checked out fine, so I took it to a local mechanic and they said there were issues with the transmission. By the time I found that out, the 1K miles were up and the dealer only reimbursed me for some repairs done by the local mechanic within the 1K miles. 1.5 years later car still runs (barely) but the heat is gone, electric locks don't work, and I can't unlock my doors with a key in the winter cause of the internal locking mechs are bad. Do your research before purchasing a ford.

None

The radio is terrible on the tauraus and it costs an arm and a leg to put in an aftermarket CD player to replace that crappy bubble display.

I love my Taurus
By mperry

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I had my Taurus se sedan for about 2 years now, and I have to say itís been great. Like any other car, minor things go. All I had to replace in it since I had it was the starter and two front tires. No big deal. Thatís normal parts to fix. I just replaced the battery not because I had to but because I wanted a brand new one good for 5 years. Other than that itís been very dependable. Starts up everyday. No dings, dents or rust on it at all. I love the style. Like it a lot better than the newer styles out now. Iit drives very well. Handles very well. As long as you get an oil change every 3,000 miles. I love the power seat. 6 different adjustments.

Wheels, rear spoiler, fun to drive. Has great power to me anyway. That's why police used these cars before. There just out right reliable.

The back seat seatbelt gets stuck sometimes.