Used 1999 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Most Helpful|
99 Taurus
By Alex

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car around 07 with 84,000 on it about 10,000 miles later the head gasket blow. I fixed it in about a week then 5000 miles down the road while I was getting a brain tumor removed the motor blew on the highway leaving my wife all by herself with no help at night. This car is awful do not buy one don't even think about it get something else avoid at all cost.

Favorite Features

It is out of my life for good

Suggested Improvements

everything

ford
By forrest

1999 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

windshield wippers come on by themselves,vehcile pulls to right

Transmission Mechanics Companion!
By Gary H.

1999 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used in oct,2000 with just over 17,000 miles from a ford exec,and the rest of the story is pretty much crap history! Car now has 46,600 miles and so far these are repairs been maid,Tranmission(what an epidemic)sensors,air conditioning failure,drivers side window failure,cd player skips,crackel in stero,roof strapps have been replaced three times,sun roof whistles terrible at high speeds,etc,etc,etc. In closing is there anyone out there who's owned a sho 96-99 who hasnt replaced the transmiision yet? I sure wish i would have took another 10,000 and bought an camaro ss like i was going to!!!

Favorite Features

The 7year 100,000 mile warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Build a Bullet Proof Transmission! (What a burden for 96-99 taurus owners)

sho what happened
By johnstoys

1999 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

These are a lot worse then the 95 model that I had. Not only are they slower, if you do not have the cams welded, your motor will be shot. The trans is just about the same sloppy shift as a regular model Taurus. You think they would of built a tougher trans being the sho has 235 horses. Sharp looking car and it does handle Nice. Gas mileage is fair, but if you have power, who cares about gas. It's sad, but the 95 s. H. O automatic would of put this v-8 sho to shame, the manual version would of smoked this v8 sho in the first 2 gears.

Favorite Features

throaty sound of the v-8, handles pretty good for American car.

Suggested Improvements

better trans, better design on motor, put a cd player in dash, not in trunk

1999 ford taurus SE v6
By fordtaurus98

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I had a person that had one of these and he was selling it to me. He let me test it out for a few weeks before buying it for 300 dollars. it had 124000 Miles on it. The car was amazing to say the least. The tires were aweful but it still drove down the road perfectly. The engine and transmission were 100% smooth running and it was FAST (IMO). So a week after I had it to test it, I decided to look underneath the car. I had a 7 inch wide OPEN hole in my drivers side floor pan. Both rocker panels were non existent. AND, the sub frame had 4 holes in it. I decided to give it back to the person.

Favorite Features

Rides great, Powerful, comfortable,

Suggested Improvements

meh, its too late now but USE UNDERCOATING.