Used 1999 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Lasts forever
By Rae

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my ford taurus used with 115,000kms on it. Now with 320,000kms I am considering replacing it. The frame has rusted and the tranny is on its way out. It's built tough. In accidents where other cars would've crumpled, this taurus came out with a only a few dents and some repairable alignment issues. I take excellent care of my vehicles and they do tend to last a long time. This one is the best so far.

Favorite Features

TOUGH. Takes a real beating and continues to perform well.

Suggested Improvements

BETTER QUALITY STEREO. I lost the stereo within the first few months and was unable to properly replace it.

Problem after problem
By sadday

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car less than a year ago from a dealership, have had nothing but problems for the last six months. Needed a new fuel pump, engine revs itself, overheats frequently, faulty hoses and wiring, doesn't start sometimes for no reason. I was really excited when I first got the car and have been frustrated ever since.

Favorite Features

um, it's comfortable?

Suggested Improvements

Not having everything in the car break at only 110K miles.

Irritated with Ford Motor Co!!!
By Rachel

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

My dad gave me the car 2 years ago. I have loved it up until recently.It's been a well maintained car while both of us have had it, more recently, really stupid things have been going wrong with it, like the heater hose, but guess what they don't make those heater hoses any more...by the way the are a molded maze of nightmares,the master cylinder was just replaced with the brake booster too, and the cam shaft position sensor went bad, don't go by the diagram to replace it, you will never find it. The starter is out on it now, due to an oil leak and I had to replace a battery, for the second time, 90 bux they are for that car. i liked the car, until ford stopped makin parts for it!

Favorite Features

It's a comfortable car to drive and everything has been reliable in it until more recently...I have gotten great gas mileage from her...35 on highway and about 15 -18 around town, which really I think is pretty good. I will hate to see this car go! It handles well too.

Suggested Improvements

Well, I am no mechanic, but the hosing system stinks! The starter, not in a great spot its under the engine....and does it really need a cam shaft position sensor? Also, what's with the dummy distributor? I think ford calls it an emissions pack...something like that...things were a mess that year!

T miss her..
By fomocobro

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

My mom purchased car new in 99 because I recommended it, Nascar, and it's 5 star crash test rating. LOVED IT. Great Performance & Style, what made it was the opt. DOHC 24V & spoiler makes the car look 100% better (esp. in black). I inherited it in 06 w/ 47k mi. after it sat neglected in Fl for over a year, got it running & drove it back to home to it's origin in PA w/ no problems. Fixed it up and did some mods 2 up performance & looks, man did it make a difference. Engine purred even when stock, growled w/ aftermarket exhaust. I LOVED this car & made it into something beautiful, sold it @ 73k mi. because was time 2 move on to something that fit me better..Cobra. Farewell T..

Favorite Features

24V DOHC Duratec, did i mention being able 2 burn out in a FWD family sedan? engine- in the new tarus's today & bored out to make 260hp! moonroof, spoiler, SHO chrome rims, space, exhaust, comfort esp. seats on long trips

Suggested Improvements

TRANSMISSION. would be a much better car if it had a half decent tranny, sold mine before the inevitable.. Electronics, Power steering hose.

Bad Investment
By Andrew

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used from a dealership. I twisted their arm into giving me a 1K warranty and immediately I brought it in for repair. They said everything checked out fine, so I took it to a local mechanic and they said there were issues with the transmission. By the time I found that out, the 1K miles were up and the dealer only reimbursed me for some repairs done by the local mechanic within the 1K miles. 1.5 years later car still runs (barely) but the heat is gone, electric locks don't work, and I can't unlock my doors with a key in the winter cause of the internal locking mechs are bad. Do your research before purchasing a ford.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

The radio is terrible on the tauraus and it costs an arm and a leg to put in an aftermarket CD player to replace that crappy bubble display.