1999 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
This car is Terrible
By Gnouk101 on 01/24/09 21:43 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since 2007 and it has about 135,000 miles on it. I must say this is by far the worst car ever. The transmission is terrible and jolts all the time, especially in traffic. Gas is terrible compared to my old Avalon. gets around 16-17 in the city and 23-26 highway. As a college student I can't afford to fill this thing up all the time. I can continue to go on and on with the problems of this car. Never buy one ever.

No other
By No other on 12/15/08 18:42 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchase this car new. I have over 233,000 miles on it and still runs like new. Nothing has gone wrong with it. Just replace tires, and brakes. She look great up to 12/15/2008 when a lady nearly hit the car head on. Sadly the insurance is going to write this off even though she still drives great. Full power everything inside. I love this car. Sad nobody is going to see her worth to me. I believe it will go to 400K. Next time you think of Ford tough it don't have to be a truck.

Realiability at its best
By derson on 11/27/08 13:40 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased car for $1500. Needed car for personal/work. I use car on occasion for mail delivery. Roomy enough for trays in driver's seat, and comfortable enough to right-hand drive without hyper-extending the legs/arms. Gas mileage is excellent - 26mpg personal (I have over 141k), and 15-17mpg for work (I drive 72 miles and have over 300 starts/stops.) I recently replaced rack/tie rods/ball joints, but it was not Ford's fault. I curbed the tires when delivering mail. Great in snow. Have never been stuck - even in 10 inches of snow! Use Havoline oil & Seafoam - increased mileage 3-4mpg. My carrier just replaced his Taurus for new one. Wouldn't replace if wasn't reliable!

Good Car
By desoto44 on 07/04/08 09:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased in early 2000 with 19,000 miles on it. Now has 202,000 and uses no oil between changes. Other than regular servicing, no major repairs. Great mileage at 25 MPG city/highway. The heater only runs lukewarm since about 150,000 miles and the AC just quit at about 195,000. Both are major repair items which I am not fixing at this stage of the car's life. Overall has been an excellent car and would buy another low mileage 99 if I could find one.

Steer Clear
By Tom on 01/30/08 10:31 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this in 2000 with about 24,000 miles. Sporty, with 24V V-6, alloy wheels, spoiler. This car has been plagued with electrical problems including wipers that periodically turn on by themselves, power locks don't work, power window doesn't work. It started using oil at about 50k miles despite changing it every 3- 4k miles and no hard driving. Gas mileage is poor for a mid-sized V6 (worse than our V6 Camry and V6 minivan). The rack & pinion steering had to be replaced at about 40k miles. Has the upgraded stereo with CD changer which sounds excellent. Overall the car looks nice and is fun to drive, but the reliability is poor. I am buying Japanese from now on.

Weak Transmissions
By Dan on 11/21/07 11:32 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I adopted the car from my mom which she bought it brand new. She always had it serviced by Ford for everything. The design of the front rotors are under spec for the car. Ford should have used bigger rotors. The rotors would warp very easy and would have to be turned or replaced. This is with factory rotors and good after market ones. The transmissions are known for problems with these cars. The trans oil pump failed when the pin broke and the differential had to be replaced. This is Ford short cutting the transmissions. Like I said, this is a known problem. The 3.0 Duratec motors are pretty strong, but a real pain to get to the back plugs, you have to remove the intake to get access.

Mechanics dream
By Rick on 10/26/07 19:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

What an absolute nightmare. The repair costs have exceeded the price i paid for this pile of crap. I have had to replace the hub and bearings THREE times, had to fix air conditioning and now the heater core is not working due to a leak. Oil pan, of all things, rusted out and was replaced. Water pump was replaced. Engine gaskets replaced. Transmission was replaced at 150km's. The only thing that works all the time is the check engine light. The wipers are work well, however they turn on randomly, making me look like a fool on clear and sunny days. I am currently shopping for a new vehicle, but i will NEVER purchase a FORD again. I'd rather buy a horse or a bus pass.

Knocking on Wood
By Caira on 10/10/07 06:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car a week ago, and I hope this car is very reliable for me. So far my mechanic checked it out and said it is a good car for only $2,400 with 91K miles on it. So far it rides good, I like the sound of it when you floor it has a nice little roar to the engine. I get 20 mph in the city I havent took it on a long trip yet, so this weekend I'll see how the mph is on the highway.

Not a car to wear the Taurus badge
By ChampionDriver01 on 08/24/07 05:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Had an 86 Taurus. 335K and no problems, decided to make that one a tuner. So I bought a 99. Only kept for two years, 13K. Gas mileage was 9/11, city/hiway, IF LUCKY. Bought an 01 and has performed almost flawlessly. Manifold gasket at 4K. Oh dear.

Crappy Taurus
By Kevin on 07/25/07 11:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Well, the only reason that I am driving this stupid jellybean is because it was free. My mom bought it and handed it down to me. I've been driving it for a little over a year, and I dont like it. Its somewhat reliable, but my power locks stopped functioning after 2 months. The stock rims are crappy, they are all corroded and gross. Also, it is a jellybean. There is not one corner on that car, everything is round and stupid looking. Its very comfortable though. Gas mileage isn't great but its not the worst I've seen. Lately the engine has been revving itself so thats not good. Check engine light never goes off because Ford designed a crappy gas cap.