Used 1999 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Tranny Problems Up the Wazoo
By gampa

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Have Had nothing but problems with this car, many factory recalls, leaky tranny after torque converter replacede by factory, tranny problems since 50000 dealer states "nothing wrong". Brakes replaced more times than i care to count, the DOC design tranny impossible to find in order to replace. Teansmission shpould be on the recall..know numerous people with same year Aand same exact problems

Favorite Features

Get up and go of the dual overhead cams, comfortable quit ride

Suggested Improvements

Fix the stupid transmission problems, would buy one for the change in my pocket

So reliable, great investment...
By lincoln224

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased brand new in 1999, fully loaded gold with tan leather moonroof, 24 V eng. This car has NEVER left us stranded, and has never once been unreliable. The only money put into the car in 10 years has been : tires, oil,brakes,light bulbs and battery/plugs. This car has been driven VERY HARD by 2 teenage boys when mom wasnt using it! had to replace transmission at 98k no big deal. Car has probably been in over 200+ drag races (almost always won) gave car to son and bought a new 2007 Lincoln MKZ :)

Favorite Features

Powerfull V6, great winter traction, soft leather.

Suggested Improvements

brighter headlights, maybe LED braklights?

Pretty Good car
By Marc S

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car after last car was hit. Liked the mid-size Mitsubishi, but high $$. I knew the Taurus and a few were avail. 81K when bought, 100K 1 year later. $1800. Comfortable, easy to get in and out and park. Decent power and for a car of this size and type it's fun to drive. These cars don't hold value and I'm not sure why - they seem reliable but are just plain. Perfect for NOT getting noticed by cops or stereo thieves. Decent for commuting or road trips. This car is roomy enough and easy enough to drive to be able to get in and drive all day.

Favorite Features

Good visibility and MPG. Roomy inside and trunk. Easy maintenance. Ergo controls, VERY deep center console well. Fit big stuff in it to keep hidden. Low costs to maintain or repair.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. Shouldn't need to remove headlights to replace bulbs. Poor light output from lights even after replacing with high output bulbs. Too noisy inside - needs quieter interior. Add a light over rear view mirror and one that points backwards also. Center isn't good enough.

So far, great first car!
By Kevin

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Taurus SE a yesterday days ago from a private seller for $1,500. Best buy I have ever made! The car runs like new even at 176,000 miles! it's incredibly comfortable and a relaxed car that handles really well. I have drivin my sisters '94 Honda Accord, and the Taurus has better power and acceleration, and yet still manages to be smooth. I also love the stereo system! Great car!

Favorite Features

Comfortable, smooth, quiet, powerful, great sound.

Suggested Improvements

CD player as standard, little better gas mileage.

Lasts forever
By Rae

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my ford taurus used with 115,000kms on it. Now with 320,000kms I am considering replacing it. The frame has rusted and the tranny is on its way out. It's built tough. In accidents where other cars would've crumpled, this taurus came out with a only a few dents and some repairable alignment issues. I take excellent care of my vehicles and they do tend to last a long time. This one is the best so far.

Favorite Features

TOUGH. Takes a real beating and continues to perform well.

Suggested Improvements

BETTER QUALITY STEREO. I lost the stereo within the first few months and was unable to properly replace it.