1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
will run this car into the ground....
By mdlee on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 99 Taurus new w/ the 24 valve DOHC engine package. It has been extremely reliable and a solid car to drive. My driving mix is 60% interstate / 40% local. The only major repair item in 5+ years were full struts at 60k which with new tires makes it run and handle like a new car. Everything else still original - even brakes! I forget this car is 5 yrs old, it is tight, quiet and a good runner. My complaints: the a/c fan softly "squeaks", this also happened on our 95 Windstar (which was not nearly as reliable at 5 yrs out), & the driver seat is low so I use a cushion. This was the last year for the "old" design (which I like even more now than I did then) and for me it was a winner.

Worst Car I EVER OWNED!!!
By Better Not Buy on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Only 67,000 miles and know a broken head gasket, freze plug corroded, broken hood release, squeeking steering column (sounds like a bulldozer) If you see a FORD-RUN. FOUND ON ROAD DEAD!!!

Another Ford...
By 99LX62K on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

It is a good car but there are several design flaws. Like many I have seen, the door ajar light is always lit. The brakes leave a lot to be desired. The seats are very comfortable and it really is a nice riding car. Handling isn't as good as the import sedans but the suspension is definately better. I would lease this car but I would never buy a new one. The resale value on this car drops so much that it will cost you $3K a year to drive it. This 99 was purchased new for $16K and it is now worth $5K.

Its not too bad
By Bulldog on 09/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

If it wasn't for the tranny going out at 42000 miles (extended warranty) and the brakes forever shaking this would be an excellent car.

Don't buy this car
By whocares on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new hoping I got a deal, but after couple of weeks, automatic transmission started slipping, jerking and all that. Taken to ford dealership, could not find the problem. Got serviced at 36000, break problem started.. Now car is at 41000 miles and all kind of oil is leaking and messed up brakes too. Asked dealer why is it leaking, they are saying it is regaulr for tarus when they are above 40000. Now I am spending another $1400 to fix the oil leak. I think I did a big mistake buying this car.. Therefore people learn a lesson from me and do not go for ford taurus. One more thing to note, it has all freeway miles and easy ones..

FORD is a four letter word...
By qtemoc on 07/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

First we had a heater/AC/vent "odor" problem that the dealer could not find. This plagued us for 2 years when we finally paid to have the heater core replaced. This helped alot but FORD and it's dealers would not pay for the repair. Then on a long trip the automatic transmission started to rumble, slip and act up.(3 1/2 years old and with 35,000 easy miles!!!)

99 taurus
By BETTYANN on 02/27/02 13:31 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Drives and handles well. Fun to drive, comfortable, enough room. Have had problems with the wipers coming on by themselves???