1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Great Car!! For the money that is.
By fireballs on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 12/2000 with 16,000 on it. Has all the features except leather. It has been great for me so far. I do agree with others that the Duratec engine performs well, but is quite noisy, especially at full throttle. Tranny could use some improvements in the decision making process. It seems to not know when to shift or shift to early. Oh well, it's not a rich man's car, so waht do we expect? I'm at 39,000 now, so we'll see what the future brings.

Heads up
By Sho Was nice on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Love The car handles well fun to drive .Car has been in the shop 2 times in the last month glad for the Extd Warrity . Tranny bite the ghost at 55000 miles Control Modeul for secondarys blew . Lets see for reapirs to date would have been close to 5grand . Also Car is known for a problem with the cam shafts going Bad desigh Flaw . Love the Car would not buy again . Ford needs to address the cam prob and trany

A great car for the price.
By Mark Drutz on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

While the styling is controversial, I love it. The 200 hp engine gives plenty of pep. Handling is very good for a family sedan. The bucket seats are comfortable, and there is ample room in the rear. The trunk is also roomy. After three years and 33,000 miles, I had only one very minor problem.

I used to hate it ... but
By jdpaulson on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

When the Taurus changed design from the packing box with wheels to a more slippery body, I liked the new look with a few minor exceptions. The GOOD: my friends fit in it (some range to 6'8") The BAD: Not used to the Anti Lock Brakes The ODD: back window, weird interior door handles and console (the door handles and back window were redesigned). I changed my opinion when driving other mid-sized sedans - they all seemed too cheap and flimsy or a bit too pricy. When telling friends and relatives about cars we tried, every one said "try the Taurus" [..."no, REALLY, TRY the cod liver oil"] I tested one, liked it and bought it.

Reliable car
By CVF on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I recently bought a 99 Taurus Se and I am very pleased with it so far. Very roomy and comfortable.

Surprised
By Tarod on 07/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I paid 10,500 for a near perfect 99' SE, 28,000 miles, with all the options including, electric moonroof, leather, keyless entry, auto lights, auto a/c, security. The Duratec engine is impressive where it counts,overtaking, with a pleasurable engine note. The smaller Vulcan engine I can best describe as "adequate". The transmission could be smarter at times, seeming indecisive at times on downshifts. Build quility seems great with no rattles. There is some road/wind at highway speeds noise but I am not driving a 30,000 dollar car so that is forgiven. Seats are comfortable, with good support.

For the money, it doesn't get much bette
By Timwithabass on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I paid $9,900 for this '99 Wagon with 26,400 miles on it. It runs great, rides great, drives great, and has a ton of space for my double bass. Great on a trip. I don't race the car so I don't need anything super sporty. Theres a slight rattle in the tailgate somewhere which I haven't sorted out yet. Wanted to upgrade to a CD player but had to buy about $100 of extra equipment to get a standard deck to fit in the oval shaped dashboard. Also, The sixteen gallon gas tank reads empty when there's still four gallons left. So you've only used 12 gallons when it reads empty. That's only a gallon better than my Escort!

FORD is a four letter word...
By qtemoc on 07/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

First we had a heater/AC/vent "odor" problem that the dealer could not find. This plagued us for 2 years when we finally paid to have the heater core replaced. This helped alot but FORD and it's dealers would not pay for the repair. Then on a long trip the automatic transmission started to rumble, slip and act up.(3 1/2 years old and with 35,000 easy miles!!!)

Someday ford will build a good transmiss
By Hotrod joe on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I work for ford and bought the 99 taurus se because of incentives. Love the 3.0 dohc motor it really moves also because of the 3.94 axle ratio. Now we'll talk shop the transmission needs more fine tuning by engineering when driving in traffic to go around another car pushing the gas pedal a 1/3 or 1/2 way down at 30 mph it kicks all the way down to 1st gear very annoying!!! It got stuck in front of house on ice and blew the trans at 18,000 miles took it to Elder ford they its covered by my bumper to bumper. Also i've had 3 escorts every one those shifted better than the taurus the new trans doesn't engage properly when you first start it.

Good car for the money
By Zoomy on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Alot of car for the money spent. Has good power. Easy to drive and comfortable. Some little rattles that bother me when going over bumpy road. Like the fold down seat and trunk size. I recomend to buy an extended warranty just in case. My car has every thing on it.