Used 1999 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Great Car
By Jason

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

First car and have had it for 6 months and its been great. Was just rear ended the other day at about 25-30 mph and the Taurus held up fantastic. The car that hit me was a Corolla and it was totaled but my car only has bumper damage. Has lots of room for passengers. I've driven about 5,000 miles so far and it's at 75k and no problems with the car yet. It's pretty good with gas but could be better.

Favorite Features

Lots of room, decent sized trunk. Fold down back seats to put bigger objects in the trunk.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage could be better. Better turning radius.

Too many repairs, too soon
By No More Fords

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Beautiful with alloy wheels and very comfortable. However, the air wasn't working when I bought it at 53,000 miles, but forgot to check it until after sale. Then it needed a new transmission at 56K, but received a used one for $1200 since new was almost $3000. Then oil leaks, coolant leaks, and at 70K the heat stopped working. Squeaks and rattles here and there. I called Ford three times about the transmission, asking for help, and each time they said engineering would get back to me. Can you guess if they did? Not. If this vehicle had had a 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty, the transmission would've been covered, but the warranty was 3/36. Plus, the resale is horrendous. Avoid.

Favorite Features

Comfort, power, size, fold-down rear seats, ease of loading trunk, automatic door locking when car is put into drive.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control and a better warranty.

OK Car for the Money
By emf

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

It is an okay car for the money we spent. We have had some repairs at 72,000. The biggest thing, and something we would have liked to know before we purchased the car, is that the Taurus has problems with the heater core and the heater going out. We're working on the second time of backflushing the heater core in order to avoid having to replace it. It is very expensive (and cold)! It is a comfortable, powerful, and roomy car - good for road trips, camping, and trips to the hardware store. A very nice back seat - for people and our large dog. I would recommend buying one, just know that there are some flaws associated with the Taurus Wagon.

Favorite Features

That it is roomy, powerful, and comfortable and it gets okay gas mileage without having to buy an SUV. It holds all of our gear to do outdoor stuff, home improvements, and travel.

Suggested Improvements

The center console is inconvenient (drink holders and such). Also, dash is a bit confusing (oval). Problems with heater core, sensor warning lights (door ajar and e-brake). It needs something on the doors to repel shoping carts and car doors - we've had a few dents that way.

Soid and Reliable
By Ken

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This car has served us well for almost 6 years. It feels solid and substantial, and the price was right when we bought it new. I would definitely do it all over again!

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seat, center console.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe better quality front seats.

Buy it again
By Raymond Allen

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my parents 4 years ago. I have put over 80,000 miles on it without anything more than normal maintenance. The only problem I've had with the car is the brakes. The rotors warp after 8,000 to 10,000 miles, faster if driving in mountainous regions.

Favorite Features

Ease to drive, sufficient power, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the rotors.