Used 1999 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Detroit must do better
By Withheld

1999 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Bought after light use as an executive rental car. At 37,000 miles, power steering on front-drive car required complete replacement at great expense. Electrical system problematic (wipers turn on without human intervention). Full 60,000 mile maintenance done by dealer. Within one week, battery dead; car wouldn't start when hot. Finally died completely. Alternator/generator replacement. Auto transmission shifts taking longer and longer. Transmission locked into third on steep hill, engine lugged up hill, check engine light on, diagnosis: two cylinders blown, substantial repair required. Car being sold as-is, at substantial discount from nominal value, with 71,000 miles. Ford unresponsive.

Quality, reliability, much longer warranty needed.

Not an ordinary "family car"
By ilovemytaurus

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and at first I was hesitant about getting a family car considering I am 16. I have had this car for a year now and I love it. I would never trade this for a some tuner. The 24 valve 3.0 duel overhead cam engine is amazing. I love my car.

Power, looks, comfort and dependability

Better gas mileage.

good family car
By gatorgirl

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Has been a very reliable car, easy accessibility to the rear seat (2 carseats). I think it's a fun car to drive and one of the first cars that I haven't had any problems with the a/c. I also love the exterior design.

The tinted windows are nice, drives great, a great family car.

Better gas mileage would be nice.

'99 Taurus - the Best, the Beast!
By Moonman

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I got a great deal on this new '99 in Jan. 2000. It has the 24v engine & the standard SE package. I drive it 900 miles to Fla. & 900 back twice a year with only an oil change before the trip. To work and church are both 4.5 mi. so it does get up to operating temperature most times it's driven. The only thing that has broken is the accelerator cable (June '05) and it took forever to get the part as it seems none have ever broken before & none could be found locally. I love driving this car! It accelerates VERY well, and surprises a lot of "tuner" cars off the line. It gives great mileage on the interstate, but, with my heavy foot I use a lot of fuel. So I'm careful. Still 100% stock. Love it!

The 3L 24v dual overhead cam v6 is perfect for this car, 205HP and good gas mileage. Power everything and keyless entry plus the keypad on the drivers door will allow easy access into the car when out in the yard. Very aerodynamic, with an aggressive front end look.

It is too late now but ... PLEASE DO NOT DROP THE TAURUS!

Beware: Head Gasket
By lemonowner

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This car is cool looking and comfortable. It is also a LEMON. It has had a blown head gasket twice in 6 months, with about 30k mile on the car. BEWARE! It is NOT yet part of any recall due to this problem.

Look of car, power of engine.

Better engine.