1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
slytaurus
By sly on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

transmission terrible, bad on gas. very popular car for the price

Better than I thought
By roger5 on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I have found that in 92,000 miles my Wagon has been very reliable. Only one problem with a Vacum conector Conection . MY maintiance cost have been limited to Brakes, Rotors, Tires one time only and a Serpintine Belt. only I am told now to watch my Ball Joints they are showing some ware. But not Bad for 92,000 miles

99 Ford Taurus
By kerrlake on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Great car, no problems what-so-ever

My 99 Taurus SE Comfort Sport Sedan
By kevin sigillito on 11/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

My Taurus is a good handling all around performer. The 96-99 bodystyle has the latest revised sheet metal edition beaten hands down. I would recommend the 24 valve twin can engine over the standard vulcan engine..Both engines are of high quality, but the twin cam is by far the most fun to drive..Comfort is good in all seating postions of the five passenger SE. The bucket seats are very supportive and the power adjustable drive seat is a real joy...A 96-99 Taurus with low miles and in good physical condtion makes for an excellent and sporty used car value..

1999 Taurus
By Roy A. Forson on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a work vehicle, specifically for highway traveling. the car currently has 90,000 highway miles and has performed flawlessly. I'm impressed with the power, style, ergonomics, and fuel mileage. The only disappointment is the extrelmely short turning radius. I would certainly buy another Taurus when ready.

Transmission Mechanics Companion!
By Gary H. on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used in oct,2000 with just over 17,000 miles from a ford exec,and the rest of the story is pretty much crap history! Car now has 46,600 miles and so far these are repairs been maid,Tranmission(what an epidemic)sensors,air conditioning failure,drivers side window failure,cd player skips,crackel in stero,roof strapps have been replaced three times,sun roof whistles terrible at high speeds,etc,etc,etc. In closing is there anyone out there who's owned a sho 96-99 who hasnt replaced the transmiision yet? I sure wish i would have took another 10,000 and bought an camaro ss like i was going to!!!

Very Satisfied
By tacotac on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I love this car. When I purchased my first one, I fell in love & became biased. No problems except minor ones, alignment need fixed (ran over a curb), & new brakes, stuff like that. The one I own now is my 3rd Taurus actually. All were 3rd gen. Tauruses. Was in accidents with my first 2. Came out without a scratch. Both cars had to be totaled. Very safe cars. Rated high with Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Transmission Frustration
By frustration on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car this summer at 70,000 miles...much higher than the other reviews I've read. At 78,000 the transmission went out today. It's currently in the shop and I will find out the exact details tomorrow. I'm just glad I got a good deal on this car. I love the rest of it. It's fully loaded, and can really mooove when there's a working transmission. I travel through 3 states for school, so hopefully it will hold up.

Wanna luv it BUT.....
By KyleJ on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I wanna love the car with its'strong 200hp motor & strong acceleration (when the tranny doesn't get mixed up with the gears) I love the design and ample interior space. But it's making me worried - my warranty is up next month and so far had to replaced: Speed sensor, Ignition switch, ALL LOCKS ON THE CAR! they all died (including the trunk lock) one at a time, Battery, Alternator, Accesory belt, Drivers side mirror - the original one CAUGTH ON FIRE while driving! I dont want to be in a market for another car especially when this one is only 3 years old with only 30,000 miles on it - but I'm not so sure I can count on this car for the long run.

Road Warrior
By mikerep on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Pretty good value for the $$$ spent. Had been reliable, inexpensive to own. However, after 90,000 miles service needs have accelerated rapidly. Driver's seat foam insides have compressed so not comfortable; even with lumbar support. Car has become noisey, leather is wearing on steering wheel and driver's seat, steering system has needed work. Still has good power, handles well for a family car.