Used 1999 Ford Taurus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

$800...
By aicfriedel

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Taurus for $100 with 185000. It needed new struts, y-pipe, and a muffler. I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and air filter it didn't need it i just decided to do it. In the end i payed $800 dollars for it and have been diving it for 2.5 years. A common flaw with these cars is the rocker panels rot but it has 203000 miles now and its been driven through New Hampshire winters for 14 years so rot is expected especially with these cars. The engine is noisy but the drivers seat is super comfy. The trunk and back seat has a lot of room. The interior is OK. The plastic on the dash is separating and its kind of cheap but for 800 bucks ill get over it. Love my Taurus.

Oh Dorris..
By redbee

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

She was a good first car, pretty safe and definitely didn't toot along, she could build up some speed. We had a lot of problems with her though, the air conditioning would go, we'd recharge it, and it would go again, the battery went, and numerous others. She also wasn't too great on gas and flew through it pretty quickly. We finally lost her when the oil tank was leaking and the engine over heated and blew. I miss her, but I won't get a Taurus again.

Favorite Features

She had speed, a nice interior design, and was safe.

1999 ford taurus SE v6
By fordtaurus98

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I had a person that had one of these and he was selling it to me. He let me test it out for a few weeks before buying it for 300 dollars. it had 124000 Miles on it. The car was amazing to say the least. The tires were aweful but it still drove down the road perfectly. The engine and transmission were 100% smooth running and it was FAST (IMO). So a week after I had it to test it, I decided to look underneath the car. I had a 7 inch wide OPEN hole in my drivers side floor pan. Both rocker panels were non existent. AND, the sub frame had 4 holes in it. I decided to give it back to the person.

Favorite Features

Rides great, Powerful, comfortable,

Suggested Improvements

meh, its too late now but USE UNDERCOATING.

Accelerator linkage keeps breaking, bad design
By rwwr

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1999 Taurus sedan about 5 years/42k miles ago. It has been OK, not particularly good or bad, except when it left me stranded at 1:30AM on a remote highway. I had had the accelerator cable replaced TWICE due to a broken plastic fitting which attaches it to the arm of the accelerator pedal. Luckily I had a knife and a piece of plastic in the trunk of the car, and in fifteen minutes I designed and carved a replacement fitting. The hardest part of this fix was lying with the door sill in my back trying to install this in the dark, by feel. It's a shame the design and test engineers couldn't have done their jobs in the first place. This part broke three times; why no recall?

Suggested Improvements

Recall the accelerator cable, and replace it with one that has a fitting for the pedal which doesn't break.

Ford Taurus
By B

1999 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Taurus off my uncle and I runs fantastic! I've had it for about 3 years now and other than the air conditioner, I've never even had a problem with it! It runs great! I think it's a very dependable car and is a fantastic family car!

Favorite Features

It's got a lot of room inside

Suggested Improvements

it needs a cd player. but i bought one for mine :)