1999 Ford Taurus SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1999 Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Sort Reviews by

Lots of Miles
By Keith

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought my 1999 Ford Taurus SE wagon in 2001 as a lease turn in. The car has never failed me. Only tires, brakes,fluids and filters have been replaced. The car bought with 29,000 miles on it for 11 grand, now has 208,000 miles on it. The tailgate is starting to rust. I hate the fact that Ford killed this car off. I would buy another one in a heartbeat, as a matter of fact, I am looking for a 2004 Sable now to replace my Taurus. The car does nothing exceptional, but everything well. It has never broken down, never been on a tow truck. The power locks have just quit on me, but for a car with 208,000 miles on it and no payment for three years, I say thank's very much, Ford Motor Co.

Black 99' SHO
By Rob

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

The Taurus SHO and other models (G, LX etc.) has been a very great asset to Ford. I love my SHO, it has everything I want in a car except a 5-speed or a shiftable automatic. The car is fun to drive and very solid. However, I feel that Ford has a big problem on their hands with all the terrible camshaft failures. I think Ford should own up to the problem and fix all the cars that fail or have a recall and put properly made cams in the cars. Many people love their SHO's and it seems like the right thing for Ford to do. I would expect such a huge company (one of the big three) to own up to the production flaw. Why should people have to get their cams welded? Ford needs to pay for it.

Favorite Features

I think the Yamaha/Ford built engine is a jewel of an engine. Again, this brings up the issue of a manual transmission being available? Still a great car.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the camshaft sprocket problem. We as owners should not have to worry about a problem like this. Ford may have also thrown away a car that saved them from going under. I don't understand why they would do that? This car was built for 20 years and Ford made a ton of money and people love the car

Great
By JUST

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car used with 120k on it. It has been a blast to drive. Great gas mileage, 26MPG. Tons of spaces. put about 40k on it; just had to change the alternator. Been coast to coast twice. SO MUCH FUN FOR A WAGON!

Favorite Features

200HP Duratec engine, auto climate control.

Suggested Improvements

Ovals everywhere have to go.

OK Car for the Money
By emf

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

It is an okay car for the money we spent. We have had some repairs at 72,000. The biggest thing, and something we would have liked to know before we purchased the car, is that the Taurus has problems with the heater core and the heater going out. We're working on the second time of backflushing the heater core in order to avoid having to replace it. It is very expensive (and cold)! It is a comfortable, powerful, and roomy car - good for road trips, camping, and trips to the hardware store. A very nice back seat - for people and our large dog. I would recommend buying one, just know that there are some flaws associated with the Taurus Wagon.

Favorite Features

That it is roomy, powerful, and comfortable and it gets okay gas mileage without having to buy an SUV. It holds all of our gear to do outdoor stuff, home improvements, and travel.

Suggested Improvements

The center console is inconvenient (drink holders and such). Also, dash is a bit confusing (oval). Problems with heater core, sensor warning lights (door ajar and e-brake). It needs something on the doors to repel shoping carts and car doors - we've had a few dents that way.

Okay - middle of the road car
By mrs. ryca2

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I had a '93 Taurus first, great family car, only needed water pump. My '99 Taurus is falling apart around me: electrical problems,sensor lights, a/c died and temperature only blows very hot, front end problems (ball joints), antenna stuck up. One saving grace, the 24 valve Duratec engine is a workhorse, still has great pick-up at over 100k. I am looking at the new Freestyle but won't touch it unless Ford puts this engine into it.

Favorite Features

Great engine, fairly reliable family car overall.

Suggested Improvements

None since it's not going to be discontinued.

ppppeeeerrrrrffffeeeecccccttttttt
By jmo

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Well at first I was somewhat hesitant to purchase this vehicle.But as a few people have said that the ride and the comfort was much nicer then I had expected. I just like to say that it is one smart buy. And I spent half the money I was expecting to spend.The Audio system is a little poor, but that is a quick fix. Other then that it has been a great car for camping, going to the beach as well just cruising.

Favorite Features

The interior is very roomy and the ride is nice.

Suggested Improvements

non really just the sound system.

The good and the bad
By geomore

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

The 200 HP engine has excellent power and gas mileage that is quite good. The transmission down shifts are rough and indecisive. The wagon is a very handy vehicle which I'd rather have than an SUV. At 52,000 miles I haven't had any problems but I am concerned about the durability of the transmission.

Favorite Features

The wagon drives very well and will easily haul passengers and cargo. Gas mileage is much better than many SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

The design of the radio and heat/ac controls is poor but has been improved in later models. The cup holder is nearly useless on the '99 model. The transmission needs a complete redesign with a grade logic feature.

Taurus Wagon
By Roberta Emery

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Stable unexciting working car used by conservative lady driver for shopping and occasional trip. Low maintenance so far , good care by driver.

Ford Wagon
By jjajijic

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Best car for the money, we travel a lot including Mexico. Hauls all our gear, and not like a Mini van or suv you can see and easy to park.

Better than I thought
By roger5

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I have found that in 92,000 miles my Wagon has been very reliable. Only one problem with a Vacum conector Conection . MY maintiance cost have been limited to Brakes, Rotors, Tires one time only and a Serpintine Belt. only I am told now to watch my Ball Joints they are showing some ware. But not Bad for 92,000 miles

Favorite Features

Confort, Power, Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Front seat padding is Flat