1999 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
$800...
By aicfriedel on 10/16/13 14:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Taurus for $100 with 185000. It needed new struts, y-pipe, and a muffler. I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and air filter it didn't need it i just decided to do it. In the end i payed $800 dollars for it and have been diving it for 2.5 years. A common flaw with these cars is the rocker panels rot but it has 203000 miles now and its been driven through New Hampshire winters for 14 years so rot is expected especially with these cars. The engine is noisy but the drivers seat is super comfy. The trunk and back seat has a lot of room. The interior is OK. The plastic on the dash is separating and its kind of cheap but for 800 bucks ill get over it. Love my Taurus.

Oh Dorris..
By redbee on 07/25/13 06:34 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

She was a good first car, pretty safe and definitely didn't toot along, she could build up some speed. We had a lot of problems with her though, the air conditioning would go, we'd recharge it, and it would go again, the battery went, and numerous others. She also wasn't too great on gas and flew through it pretty quickly. We finally lost her when the oil tank was leaking and the engine over heated and blew. I miss her, but I won't get a Taurus again.

1999 ford taurus SE v6
By fordtaurus98 on 09/28/12 09:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I had a person that had one of these and he was selling it to me. He let me test it out for a few weeks before buying it for 300 dollars. it had 124000 Miles on it. The car was amazing to say the least. The tires were aweful but it still drove down the road perfectly. The engine and transmission were 100% smooth running and it was FAST (IMO). So a week after I had it to test it, I decided to look underneath the car. I had a 7 inch wide OPEN hole in my drivers side floor pan. Both rocker panels were non existent. AND, the sub frame had 4 holes in it. I decided to give it back to the person.

Accelerator linkage keeps breaking, bad design
By rwwr on 02/11/12 23:25 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1999 Taurus sedan about 5 years/42k miles ago. It has been OK, not particularly good or bad, except when it left me stranded at 1:30AM on a remote highway. I had had the accelerator cable replaced TWICE due to a broken plastic fitting which attaches it to the arm of the accelerator pedal. Luckily I had a knife and a piece of plastic in the trunk of the car, and in fifteen minutes I designed and carved a replacement fitting. The hardest part of this fix was lying with the door sill in my back trying to install this in the dark, by feel. It's a shame the design and test engineers couldn't have done their jobs in the first place. This part broke three times; why no recall?

Ford Taurus
By B on 08/10/10 20:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Taurus off my uncle and I runs fantastic! I've had it for about 3 years now and other than the air conditioner, I've never even had a problem with it! It runs great! I think it's a very dependable car and is a fantastic family car!

I got a good deal
By Paul on 07/15/10 22:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I am quite surprised by some of these reviews. I bought my 99 Taurus with 35k miles and it now has 160k miles. I have had no problems what so ever with this vehicle. I have a friend with a 98 and his has 250k miles on it and it runs like a champ. I do regular maintenance on my vehicle, oil changes, a few trans flushes, breaks and the like. Overall, I have been quite happy with this car and look forward to another easy 100k miles. -Paul

Dependable
By Arlene on 06/21/10 00:04 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

When I purchased my Taurus 4 years ago it had 132,000 miles on it. It was a one owner and I purchased it directly from the owner who had kept every receipt for oil changes, tires. They had changed oil every 3000 miles. I change it every 5,000 miles and it uses no oil in between. This has been a very reliable car. All I have had to do was some a/c work $600.00, replace battery and tires. It now has about 186,000 miles and I will keep it until it gives out. The body looks good. I don't feel like I am driving an outdated car (the spoiler makes it). It has been a blessing to me.

99 Taurus
By Alex on 05/27/10 09:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car around 07 with 84,000 on it about 10,000 miles later the head gasket blow. I fixed it in about a week then 5000 miles down the road while I was getting a brain tumor removed the motor blew on the highway leaving my wife all by herself with no help at night. This car is awful do not buy one don't even think about it get something else avoid at all cost.

Power steering pump every other oil chng
By Mike on 03/24/10 16:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Car was perfect til about 110k. Had a few minor issues but nothing out of the ordinary. Then, since 10/07, have only put about 18k on it. 2 racks, 4 power steering pumps, still growls even though new pump. Have had pumps die after just 3 weeks. As far as rest if time, gas mileage on ordinary driving, 20 mpg. This car replaced a 91 caprice which got the same, but had a V8. Have gotten as high as 29 on highway. Adequate power, has gone down since bought car. Tranny--no actual problems except speed sensor a while back. Ride--a little stiff for long trips being the SE, but corners well. Love: fold down rear seats.

sho what happened
By johnstoys on 02/08/10 15:45 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

These are a lot worse then the 95 model that I had. Not only are they slower, if you do not have the cams welded, your motor will be shot. The trans is just about the same sloppy shift as a regular model Taurus. You think they would of built a tougher trans being the sho has 235 horses. Sharp looking car and it does handle Nice. Gas mileage is fair, but if you have power, who cares about gas. It's sad, but the 95 s. H. O automatic would of put this v-8 sho to shame, the manual version would of smoked this v8 sho in the first 2 gears.