Won't buy another Ford
By PQD on
1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan
This car (bought new in 1998) has had many things go wrong at a lower mileage than it should, e.g., transmission replaced at 63,000 miles; rear brakes at 70,000; front brakes, struts, and a "rotted plug" for the coolant at 87,000 miles (the latter required a major amount of labor, though the part was small). My husband has a 1 year older Honda Accord with about 35,000 more miles on it which has had almost nothing expensive needing replacing. We usually buy cars new, keep them maintained, and drive them until they drop, generally well over 100-150,000 miles. Given how much I've already spent on this Taurus, I think I'll trade it for a more reliable "foreign" car before anything else goes wrong!
Favorite Features
Interior is roomy and comfortable; we like the option of putting up the armrest to accommodate a 3rd person in front. Drives well, and is reasonable on gas mileage for its size.
Suggested Improvements
Transmission should not have had to be replaced at such a low mileage. Other reviews also noted transmission problems. Need improvements in all aspects of overall mechanical reliability. Not a trustworthy car at higher mileage.