Puts up with a lot of abuse
By quickford on
1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan
I've had this car for five years, and it is reliable in some ways, but unreliable in other aspects. The engine is bulletproof. I drove the car when it was leaking oil and nearly dry; after fixing the leak it still runs like a champ. I've driven it with a coolant leak and I almost had the temp gauge maxed once, and it never quit. But the leaks themselves were a concern. Also, the transmission is slipping pretty badly now, and at 118,000 miles it may not make it much longer. Some suspension pieces have needed replacement and the brakes warp easily. One of the rear wheels got stuck, and I had to hammer on the drum to loosen it up, probably due to the parking brake. Electrical system is iffy.
Favorite Features
Starts when I turn the key, goes when I hit the pedal, turns left and right, stops when it needs to. Hasn't been maintained as regularly as it should be, and would likely be more reliable if properly cared for. Unfortunately I just can't get excited about the car enough to maintain it properly.
Suggested Improvements
Could've been styled better, both inside and out. The transmission shifts like it was made of oatmeal, and lots of minor problems add up over time. It's a shame they couldn't put a better car around that reliable engine, which will probably still run after the rest of the car collapses around it.